Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Tyres for the Alps
  • Carlos45
    Free Member

Am riding in the Alps for first time this year – Pass’portes du Soleil plus a couple more days. Riding will be more XC rather than downhill.

Current tyres are WTB – Tubeless – Bronson 2.3″ front and Wolverine 2.1″ rear. Neither are dual ply.

Would appreciate advice / thoughts on whether Dual ply necessary for the type of riding I’m likely to do. Also – something tells me that I may need an improved rear tyre for those flinty descents.

Carlos45
    Free Member

bump

coogan
    Free Member

I just use High Rollers single ply each time I’ve been there.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’m going to keep tubeless Maxxis exo tyres on my bike for the PPDS I think.

FROGLEEK
    Free Member

Rode PDS last year with minion sticky front and high roller rear 60a both dual ply

Alphabet

I usually use single ply Minions for DH and High Rollers for everything else.

maxtorque

I’ve a pair of Hans Dampfs in Super Gravity flavour awaiting mating with my ST wheelset for Julys Alpine decending frenzy….

(i’m not “super gnarr” though) 😉

Carlos45
    Free Member

Looks like I’ll swap the Wolverine for a High Roller on the Rear.

Appreciate the feedback.

alpin
    Free Member

i really don’t get all this what tyre nonsense…..

i ride in the alps just about every week and the trails around here are very rocky.

johnhe

My recommendation is t hat if you ride 2.1’s at home, move to 2.3’s in the Alps. Unless you’re really riding XC. With wall the cable cars and descending much more than normal, I recommend a gripper, heavier tyre an home. I use folding, single ply high rollers and they’re great.

grego228
    Free Member

nobby nic trailstar double defence – nailed it last year 3 days inc ppds – not one puncture 🙂

Lakes_Puma

Last year I did the PDS and spend a week in Morzine running a dual ply 2.5 minion slow reezay on the front and a dual ply 2.1 high roller super tacky on the back.

had some heavy hits and neither had any problems at all.

oh I ran them both tubeless as well.

godzilla
    Free Member

Dual ply High rollers 2.35 42a front 60a rear done last two years holiday on the same set of tyres and will get another week out of them.
    I wish they would die as I’m not a HR fan and want to try Minions or something by Spesh.

NickScots
    Free Member

“Am riding in the Alps for first time this year”

Tyres don’t matter as much as Brakes, make sure they are well maintained and take a few spare pads – especially in thunderstorms and after thunderstorms – as they can be pricey out there.

I use Shimano Deores, no hassles in Les Deuxs Alpes, Alp DHuez, Les Orres, Vars the Pyrenees and Garda.

Whyte1
    Free Member

Wolverine AM TCS 2.2 would be perfect if you get on with the 2.1

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Tyres for the Alps’ is closed to new replies.