Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Tyres for snow (not studded)
  • mekon
    Free Member

Hoping for a bit of snow action soon. Last year I tried HRs but they weren’t much cop.

I don’t want to splash out on studded, as looking for something I can use rest of the winter.

Saw a recommendation for Hans damph and also medusa’s. Any thoughts guys and girls?

vorlich
    Free Member

Hans dampfs are fine in snow, assuming you don’t actually want to turn at all.

matt_outandabout

Yes, but what snow type? Like mud n soil, there are many kinds. (Fatty ftw)

deadkenny
    Free Member

HRs work fine for me in the snow. Just depends on the snow. Some types of snow is just no go at all with most tyres. Studded doesn’t help in deep snow. Probably only something a fat bike is good for. Slush that’s refrozen to ice is the worst and probably spikes are the only answer.

Crisp fresh snow, not too deep though – Minions and HR worked a treat and the grip was amazing. It was like riding in the summer!

Have a look at the Mega videos and compare the ones from the guys up front who get first run on freshly groomed snow, to the ones behind who have to go through the churned up slushy crud. Tyres are not the issue. You want to be the guy at the front 😉

scotroutes

Big Fat Larrys

igm

MudX works in snow. As do all your favourite mud tyres.

As someone said last year, it’s white mud really.

Of course once it’s passed 12″ deep a fat bike may be the way to go, but a 29er will keep rolling surprisingly well.

Ice? Spikes.

Lionheart
    Free Member

Maxis Ardent 2.4 s here last year and they work very well,

Northwind

Hans dampfs clog like you wouldn’t believe in snow. Spiky muds, ideally sticky spiky muds, are the best I’ve used- specialized hillbillys weigh a ton and drag like an anchor but they do the job brilliantly, frinstance.

Swampthings, barons and the like- nonspiky muds- don’t do too well ime. Paddly things- highrollers, clutches, excavators- can do pretty nicely.

mekon
    Free Member

Yeah maybe I had the wrong type of snow for high rollers 😛 Still got them so will try again this year (if we get any of course) thanks for the tips.

Won’t be racing down like these nutters..just yet.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSdKgAGU5K8&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

cakefacesmallblock

Whatever you run, keep the pressures down. Right at the lower end of where you would normally run em It will help any tyre shed snow and ice. Even probably the wrong sort of snow.

mekon
    Free Member

Whatever you run, keep the pressures down. Right at the lower end of where you would normally run em It will help any tyre shed snow and ice. Even probably the wrong sort of snow.

Yeah this could of been my problem thinking about it. Thanks.

zippykona

What about chunky monkeys?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Tyres for snow (not studded)’ is closed to new replies.