Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • tyres for les arc
  • steviepcommencal
    Free Member

I’m heading to les arc in about 8 weeks and want to get some new tyres, budget is tight so was looking for some of the cheaper varients such as the standard rubber queen. I currently have a high roller on the front and bobby nic on the back, would these be ok?

honourablegeorge

I’d be thinking dual ply

mikewsmith
    Free Member

if your mostly lift assisted then 2.5 Minions (DP ST or 60a) worked really well for me. Dual ply will just save you hassle.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    smeg
    Free Member

I’ve used High Roller dual ply front & rear both times I’ve been …42a on the front & 60 on the back both in 2.35.

Tempted to go up to 2.5’s this year, not sure of clearance though (2010 Orange 5???)

You want to be riding & not fixing punctures all week!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

2.5 should be fine, was running them in a Heckler gives the feel of and extra 1/2″ of travel when required and much more sure footed.

superfli
    Free Member

Steve, I’ve bought some dual ply’s off ebay when they have appeared cheap.
    Minion 2.5 front and 2.35 rear – only able to get supertacky though, but I have a spare 2.35 HR rear as well.

Can pick them up for around £20-25 good cond.

OwenP

I used 2.35 dual ply minion & highroller last year, which worked well.

A mate was running 2.5 highrollers (60a), the concensus was that these were a bit draggy for the trails we rode.

As mentioned above, it depends on what you are going to do, but seeing as most folk head to Les Arcs/ La Plagne for more ‘all mountain’ type riding than full on DH, i might suggest something easier to pedal than the 2.5s and supertacky’s.

Absolutely dual ply though, unless you are super light or super smooth!

cakerider

dual ply 2.5 minions for a week in les arcs last year and no punctures

torihada
    Free Member

Last two summers have ridden Les Arcs with TA. Consensus among our group’ 2.5 Maxxis Minions DHF 60a rear 40 super tack up front. Depends on how hard & fast you ride. We were all on 6 inch bikes and my UST Minions running tubeless were perfect (no punctures for me). Some still did snakebite their DH tubes, so if you can, go tubeless.

budgierider67

2.35 dual ply Minion DHF (supertacky front, standard rear) worked well for me. No punctures.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

3 weeks at various Alps resorts, including a pretty rocky Lake Garda, the only puncture was caused by a drawing pin at the top of the funicular in Les Arcs. 2.35 single ply High Rollers (and a 11st rider)

FieldMarshall

Rode at Les Arc two years ago.

I used Minion Front Dual Plys front and rear (2.7 Front (!) and 2.5 rear) without issue.

Tempted to go up to 2.5’s this year, not sure of clearance though (2010 Orange 5???)

This was on an 09 Orange Five. So assume 2.5 would be ok on a 2010 Five

Another guy had dual ply HRs front/rear and similarly had no issues.

Others on single ply got punctures (and lots of them!)

stevomcd
    Free Member

2.5″ Dual-ply UST Minions.

One puncture in the last 4 years.

parling
    Free Member

I’m off to Les arcs in about 10 weeks on my hard tail and have put some cheap ebay dual ply high rollers 2.5 on as last year on a full sus in morzine I destroyed hundreds of inner tubes. Been a pain testing them here they weigh a ton but will be worth it out there to enjoy the downs.

mrplow
    Free Member

So is 2.5 Super tacky front and 60A rear too draggy to enjoy lift assisted single track? :mrgreen:

stevomcd
    Free Member

So is 2.5 Super tacky front and 60A rear too draggy to enjoy lift assisted single track?

No, spot-on! 😀

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

i used HR front and crossmark rear all last season in les arcs…

but i rode up a lot of hills to access better trails, so didn’t want anything too draggy. tubeless and very few grip issues.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I just went with my normal everday all year round tyres and they survived puncture free – Nevegal UST.

scottfitz
    Free Member

if your mostly lift assisted then 2.5 Minions (DP ST or 60a) worked really well for me. Dual ply will just save you hassle.

It won’t be lift assisted in 8 weeks, lifts don’t open till 7th july http://www.lesarcsnet.com/lifts/dates.html

Unless your going after that date that is or doing a TA week or something. 😉

I will be running big bettys 2.4 but will be taking an old set of Minion 2.5 front and rear supertacky just in case.

steviepcommencal
    Free Member

Scott, I’m going with you!

I’m in dom’s car

scottfitz
    Free Member

Scott, I’m going with you!

I’m in dom’s car oh that Steve! 😳 😀

I will have spare tyre then if one of your gets f’ed up. 😉

steviepcommencal
    Free Member

Cheers Scott,

Gonna try and get hold of a pair of minions but nice to have a back up!

wallop

I’m off to Les Arcs this summer, and this thread only confuses me more.

I’ll be riding a Five. My normal tyres are 2.35 HR front, Advantage rear. I’m not especially rad, so I’ll just be doing the singletrack, nothing DH.

I’m thinking I probably don’t need anything bigger than 2.35, do I? What are the benefits of dual ply for someone like me?

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

wallop,

Les Arcs is possibly more rocky than places you normally ride even on the singletrack.

Dual ply and DH tubes means you won’t get a flat all week and can ride and enjoy yourself instead of changing tyres/cursing cos you shredded your single ply tyres.

If you are riding with mates/a holiday company it will also stop the other riders cussing you for holding them up.

If you are on your own and don’t mind stopping then go ahead but IMHO I would go (and do go) for the extra protection.

wallop

OK, extra rocks – got it. Have already sussed DP HRs just in case.

Extra volume though? Or should the 2.35 be fine?

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

again IMHO I would go for 2.5 if your frame can take it.

wallop

Ta muchly 8)

coolhandluke
    Free Member

2.5 Super Tacky Minion up front, 2.5 dual ply high roller on the back.

Rok solid performance from them both and going with the same for this year.

wallop

Would tubeless be better, ultimately?

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

I don’t know as I’ve never used them (tubeless).

wavejumper
    Free Member

I’m off to the alps in 8 weeks as well. Is everybody heading there. There’ll be no bugger left here if we all go!

stevomcd
    Free Member

wallop – 2.35 High-Rollers and Minions are pretty skinny compared to other tyres with the same nominal width, so sizing-up is a good plan. Tubeless is way better, but only if you go the whole way. Don’t faff around with ghetto.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Don’t bother with DH tubes as DP is enough (unless you ride like a mad gorrila)

If your driving then throw in some spares between the group, plenty of tubes too then you can flog them on to others!

We mostly rode all the surrounding area which was rocky and fast.

Northwind

There was a feller on Pinkbike selling a pair of Specialized Clutch SXs the other week for cheap. I’d get those- they’re the size of a Maxxis 2.5, they’re grippier’n a ST minion and last miles longer, and not as all-or-nothing as a maxxpro highroller, speedwise they fall between the two, and though they’re not dualplies they’re most of the way there with the reinforced slopestyle carcass. Tradeoff being about 300 grams less per corner. And you’re more likely to find a use for them back here- they’re a bad choice for everyday trailbike tyres but they’re still about a bazillion times better than a dualply supertacky.

Certainly wouldn’t risk spoiling a holiday for the sake of saving a few pennies on tyres though.

FieldMarshall

As stated above, I’d take as many spare tubes as you can, just in case, as IIRC these were really expensive out there. Likewise brake pads were a lot more expensive.

I would also agree that its not worth risking ruining your trip for the sake of saving a few pounds on tyres.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘tyres for les arc’ is closed to new replies.