Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • tyres for kids xc racing
  • chriswilk
    Free Member

Hi,

My two eldest are now entering some xc races.
    They need some new tyres for XC racing and general riding / training.
    What is good? – seeing as they are light at ~7 stone??

Not silly money either please.

TiRed

What wheel size? For cheap, mine rode on Schwalbe Land cruisers on 24″. Cheap, capable and suitable for the school run too.

neninja
    Free Member

You can get wire bead dual compound Speed Block 8 2.1 or 1.95 in 24″ wheel size.

My son has them on a 24″ XC bike and they are not too heavy, seem fairly puncture resistant, very fast rolling but lethal when it’s slippery (he did a Superman impression when the bike turned through 180 degrees whilst still going forward in a straight line a couple of weeks ago), had to change the front out for more deeply treaded tyre. The Small Block will go back on when the weather improves.

chriswilk
    Free Member

sorry, 26″ wheels. They are 13 and 11 and riding the sxc series (scottish xc). Need something that can cope with mud trail centre and some rocky bits.
    ideally in the range of 500g each.

Thinking rocket ron or nobby nic in 2.1 width.

steve_b77
    Free Member

If put the rocket Rons on, or a specalized ground control.

Both are light & fast, grippy too

br
    Free Member

My son has a Crossmark on the rear and Weirwolf on the front, both light and fast.

Racing Ralph’s are also good too, also you may want something with more edge grip for the front.

chriswilk
    Free Member

I’ve heard rocker rons come up narrow?
    Also, that they are a bit flimsy.
    What’s the difference between performance and evo?

Another possible is the race king?

njee20
    Free Member

Wouldn’t say they come up narrow, bit fragile though, Ralphs and Nics are tougher.

Performance carcass is cheaper, heavier, harder compound but more durable. Evo is the opposite.

chriswilk
    Free Member

hadn’t considered ralphs as I thought they were thinner.
    nics are a bit draggier also?

njee20
    Free Member

hadn’t considered ralphs as I thought they were thinner.
    nics are a bit draggier also?

Nics are slower, I’m not a massive fan. Nics/Ralphs/Hans Dampfs use the same, thicker carcass. Rons/Freds/Dans use a thinner, lighter carcass. The sizing is very similar.

Speshpaul

Mk1 moutain kings from wiggle £11 for wire bead, 2.0 which comes up narrow. no complaints.

irelanst
    Free Member

Continental explorer as a cheap option? They are a bit flimsy in the sidewalls but for lightweights they would be fine. Not much use at all in the mud though.

chriswilk
    Free Member

will consider the ralphs then.
    Really want folding, and weight somewhere in the 500g range.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘tyres for kids xc racing’ is closed to new replies.