Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Tyres Confession
  • haddock
    Free Member

I know i'll probably regret asking this, but its something i've been wondering for a while.

Why do so many people on here get all arsey over any mention of tyre choice?

I admit it, i'm a bit sad and enjoy talking tyres, but I dont see the harm in it though. 😳

Smee
    Free Member

Because in reality tyre choice makes heehaw difference at a trail centre – full slick to full on DH knobbly make not a lot of difference.

BoardinBob

Because in reality tyre choice makes heehaw difference at a trail centre – full slick to full on DH knobbly make not a lot of difference

You talk some amount of sh*te

emac65
    Free Member

Except one will be very quick uphill & t'other will feel like your towing you car behind ya…..

haddock
    Free Member

Perhaps, but I've been trying different tyres back from the days of Farmer Johns, Farmer Giles and the Ritchey Z max and there has been big improvements.

I dont go swopping tyres for every ride but I change the front for winter and put a SC on if I go somewhere real slippy. I have no decent local trails and have to travel quite far to get any decent riding, so ride many places in the North.

I'd swap off a SC tyre i'd used on really greasy slate in the Lakes, for something that wont get scrubbed in one day on Peaks gritstone or similar stuff, say at Dalbeatie. A friend on here never changes his tyres and likes them because they perform well all round and match his bike – fair play, thats nice and simple, but I find the hostility to tyre geeks a bit odd!

gwaelod
    Free Member

Always use folding tyres, stick a couple in your pack and change tyres when you get to the top of the downhill. It really is the only way to do the skyline without being killed.

haddock
    Free Member

I'll try that, have to carry a small track pump with me though. 🙄

mboy
    Free Member

Why do so many people on here get all arsey over any mention of tyre choice?

Probably cos it's the most subjective component on a bike, and there are sooooo many different options on the market!

People ride differently, and have different preferences. It's MUCH easier for someone to try out several different tyres at £20-25 a pop than it is suspension forks at £300-400 a pop, or full sus frames at £1k plus. Hence people have usually got more of a subjective (not informed) opinion on what tyres work for them!

Or of course you could listen to me:

Maxxis High Rollers or Michelin Comp 16 for DH use, Bontrager ACX for general cross country, and Bontrager Mud X for winter XC… All IMHO of course, and I've tried a LOT of tyres in the past! 😉

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

'other will feel like your towing you car behind ya….

Reminds of when a mate persuaded me to do the full Skyline ride and I didn't have time to fit XC tyres. Those dual-ply 2.35 stick E high rollers felt just like that. I swear I was pedalling downhill.

Northwind

Goan wrote, "Because in reality tyre choice makes heehaw difference at a trail centre – full slick to full on DH knobbly make not a lot of difference."

Impressive. That's the most wrong thing I've seen on the internet today.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Tyres Confession’ is closed to new replies.