Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Tyres are on… Tubeless attempt 2! Rampage 2.35 SC
  • charlierevell
    Free Member

Well, after a gash attempt at the weekend I'm trying my tubeless rims out again!
    Had Conti Mountain Kings in a 2.2 (My ARSE! They're tiny!) I caught the rim and tyre at Cwmcarn and couldnt get it to re inflate. Hated the tyre so decided to move over to Non UST Pany Rampage 2.35's.
    Got them to inflate on the back, tyre was backwards so took it off, never re inflated, so I went to tubes for the weekend!

Anyway, I've now got some more stans and a new valve(Snapped one, ooops) so gave it another bash tonight!
    Had them with tubes so at least one side was already locked in, inflated less sealant to see if i could get it to work. Noope…. no joy!
    Used the Stans bubble technique, inflated immediately off a track pump! Very happy.
    Let it down, took a bit of bead off to fill with stans fluid, put it back together, lots of bubbles and it inflates. 40psi as recommended… shaking the sealant around and the rim blows out the tyre and across the garage, deafening me in one ear! Oh, covered in latex too… try explaining an explosion at 9pm followed by leaving head to toe in the stuff!

Try it all again, only up to 30PSI and shaking the spokes rather than holding the tyre. They're now both inflated and dryin in the garage, will flip them over tomo to settle and seal the other sides. Hopefully they wont have lost much pressure and its all good!

Why did the rim fly out the tyre? Still slippy from the soap letting it release?
    Has anyone else safely run a non UST rampage 2.35 SC on a UST rim?
    Any guesses on if it will continue to work?

One thing I have learnt is how to inflate tyres onto UST rims using a track pump, once you have the nack its not actually that hard!

sheppie_hill
    Free Member

Glad you finally got them sorted Charlie. I cant help with why they did it as I have never run UST rims; either normal or Stans.

I have found that no matter how much you shake them around there is no substitute for taking them straight out on a ride for getting them fully sealed straight away.

charlierevell
    Free Member

Slightly scared me to say the least! Was a biiiig noise!
    Will take them for a bit of a spin later to see how they hold up. Then off on the hills tomo evening!

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Non UST Panaracers are not recommended for tublessing in any form. The beads are too baggy and are weak to boot, meaning they can stretch even more, resulting in um, the tyres blowing off the rim…

A few folk on here can attest to that fact.

So far it hasn't happenned whilst you've been riding. Imagine when it does.

MisterT

Scienceofficer – you what? since when? been riding Razors, Cinders, XCPro's (all folding types) for years 717's with stans kit, and on ZTR Olympics… never had a problem!

charlierevell – the likely reason is that you still need to use a rim strip with UST rims. wouldn't ride normal tyres without a rim strip, so ensure a proper seal. (have a pair of crossmax, and tried it myself… you end up with tyres burping all over the place)

charlierevell
    Free Member

Interesting, the Panaracers are very baggy but now have seated fine. Ill give them a test ride tomorrow and see if they burp loads.
    If that the case I'll look at a rim strip or maybe a rubber queen as they look quite nice for a 5inch all day type bike.
    Have about 29psi in them at them moment so will see how they feel later!

Onzadog
    Free Member

I was going to make the same point that scienceofficer did. On the stans website, it says not to use panaracer, IRC Intense and some others because of the weak bead. Bit of a bugger as when I went tubeless, all I had were IRC and Intense tyres.

DezB
    Free Member

Get some proper UST tyres and you'll be sorted. I really can't see the point of running normal tyres tubeless unless it's to save weight. (edit: or money!) Which will only bite you in the ass in the long run.

FWIW I can inflate UST tyres on my Mavic rims with a Lezyne minipump. It's that easy.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I tubelessed in 2003. It was being talked about by folk even then when I was reading around the topic.

Its easy to find talk about loose Panaracers on mtb sites across the internet. It doesn't bother me whether you choose to believe me or not, I'm just throwing in what I've have heard and read repeatedly – FWIW, my Fire XC pros are the baggiest tyres I've ever owned.

YMMV.

charlierevell
    Free Member

They dont actually mention panaracers at all….
    I dont mind ordering up some UST Tyres, my issue is finding a good one.

I like the rampage tread and it rode well with tubes.

What UST tyres would be suggested for all day riding on an orange 5 with a fat old Fox 36 up front?
    Rubber queens seem a little large in 2.4, maxxis LUST gets poor reviews.
    Any other thoughts… oh they'll also be doing the kielder so cant be toooo draggy!
    thinking something between 2.2 and 2.35 ish?

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Rampage tread is an exact copy of the kenda Nevegal, bar the crossed sipes on the centre blocks.

charlierevell
    Free Member

Interesting! How do they fair up in the UST stakes?

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I was always pleased with my UST Kendas. They're a substantively wide 2.1 too wider that most other brands 2.3's and not very heavy for UST. I only ran one at the back and I'm a fairly heavy 14.5 stone so I'd wear it out in a season, but others I ride with use them and they last about twice as long (they're lighter too).

I only changed from the blue groove front, nevegal rear to try some Michelin all terrains in non-UST guise. to try saving a bit of weight.

DezB
    Free Member

Hutchinsons for me. Toros look good but I can't afford them.
    Running Barracudas at the mo and they are tough bastards. About 800g though.
    Haven't tried Kendas, so maybe next time.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Stans forum doesn't mention Panaracer now but I know they did because when I read it i though "bolox, three for three" as I also had IRC and Intense tyres. Perhaps they've either upped their game or threatened Stans with legal action in a very American kind of way!

If you log onto the stans forum and have a look at the list of tyres that work, panaracer only features once and thet's a comment that someone can't get them to air up.

I used to run Maxxis ADvantage 2.1 Exception on Flow rims but had a couple of blow offs (A really lightweight tyre for burly use, I know I was taking the mick). I found some of the same tyre in UST (about 700 grams) and they've been fantastic

fozzybear
    Free Member

i run high roller 2.35 kevlar none ust sealed ok (bubbles in the sidewall on first inflation)
    roll well, grip excellent, no burps, running them tubed i was pinch puncturing them ALL the time (once a ride at least) tubeless clearly not an issue, run them 29 – 32 psi happy..

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

From the JRA website:

Brands which work well are:

Schwalbe – Can be a bit floppy to fit, will usually need a rimstrip. Racing Ralph and Nobby Nick are reasonably resilient in use for such a lightweight tyre but you'll need to be careful around sharp rocks.
    Continental- Most Continental tyres work well. Supersonic casing sidewalls are very porous and will take a while to seal, and a lot of shaking.
    Kenda – OK but weak sidewalls.
    Bontrager – Mostly easy to use. Sometimes seem to have lots of pinholes to seal when new but reasonably tough tyres.
    Maxxis – Our favourite brand for tubeless conversions (which is why we sell them). The rubbery sidewalls seal up fast and resist tears well.

Brands which work ok but can be variable are:

Specialized

Brands which are not recommended because they have unrealiable beads – known to snap or so loose they roll off the rim are:

Panaracer
    WTB
    Intense
    IRC
    Hutchinson
    Michelin

UST tyres of any brand are fine.

Ill give them a test ride tomorrow

Take care Charlie. It takes a few rides to work out the right pressure and get confidence that they wont blow off the rim.

charlierevell
    Free Member

Arrghhh… trying to chose an all round tyre is a nightmare!!!
    Hutchinson Barracuda looks good, as does the rubber queens…
    Not looking good on the LUST review front tho!

charlierevell
    Free Member

Sod it…. Ordered a pair of Rubber Queens in 2.2
    Toss up between that and the hutchinson barracuda.

DezB
    Free Member

Nearly went for the Rubber Queens myself, but Wiggle only had 1 in stock.
    good luck!

charlierevell
    Free Member

Dez… I'll let you know how I get on. Your advice the other week was rather useful.
    Had great fun inflating the things, think i'm becoming a bit of an inflation master! haha

Decided on the orange 5 in the end, that alpine was a little chunky!

DezB
    Free Member

Cool, I bet the 5 is great on those lovely Qs trails.

charlierevell
    Free Member

Took it up on sunday evening and it was amazing. Still getting my head around quite how fast it goes!

saladdodger
    Free Member

permission to rip the piss please 😉

mudhound
    Free Member

hutchinson toro's UST hardskin – 2.35s are good – inflate in about 5 to 10 seconds with trackpump when dry new and aslo when going back on used when popped back on after alps trip. skinnier ones on xc bike also inflate superquick

JRA removeable core valves & stans sealant/cheap plastic syringe recommended

charlierevell
    Free Member

I looked at the toro's but there were some bad comments on the ultimate cornering on them…

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Tyres are on… Tubeless attempt 2! Rampage 2.35 SC’ is closed to new replies.