Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Tyres, 50% on road, 50% off road.
  • mucker

My commute is about to change, giving me the opportunity to introduce nice wee bit of off road riding as a digestif to the road part. What 26″ tyres would be recommended for such a journey.

butcher

Depends on what kind of off-road? To some that would be their local railway path. But then you might want to take in the local downhill run?

mattyfez

Furious fred, racing ralph?

mucker

Yeah, was a bit vague, it’ll be through the woods with some loam and some trail centre type armoured surfaces, red/black grades.
    Being a tight was these appeal, are they any good?
    Vee Rubber Speed-R

cloudnine
    Free Member

You need all round ones

philstone

Over here in Jersey we have to ride a lot on road to get to the trails, I always used to rate Schwalbe HD, Trailstar front, Pacestar rear, switch to something faster rolling in the rear in the summer – Rock Razor.. However a few months ago I tried the Bonty XR4 Team Issue on a recommendation of a friend, and its brilliant, rolls really well but is also very grippy. And lighter than the HD too!

kerley
    Free Member

Currently using Continental Race Kings for all round use. Light, high volume, just enough grip yet still roll pretty well. Not scientific but on a downhill stretch on road last week I caught up with a road bike with both of us coasting down the hill…

jimslade
    Free Member

Conti Race Kings.

jonba
    Free Member

You will destroy knobbly rear tyres commuting on the road so either the cheapest ones yo can find or something semi slick/hybrid esque.

In summer i do easy offroad on slicks, carefully.

akira

Yeah bontrager xr4 are a good compromise, not great in mud though.

globalti
    Free Member

Commuter tyres with a continuous central ridge or something with a file pattern tread.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Any old tyres you have lying around ? Maxxis do some decent hybrids fairly cheap and ime quite puncture proof, ones I’ve got a bit more road orientated so quite slippy in mud but there is a lot of choice

callmetc
    Free Member

Conti double fighter 3.

13 quid in halfrauds each.

Just crap in the gooey stuff.

MoreCashThanDash

Race Kings with the Black Chilli compound. Roll well and very durable.

Alternatively maybe Sammy Slicks.

simonlovell999
    Free Member

Geax mezcals 2.3 semi slicks £8 off on one. I’m waiting for some, ordered last night

Frankenstein
    Free Member

If it’s not muddy, Rapid Rob from Scwinn but there are more expensive & lighter tyres out there.

I use them on my CX.

jkomo

Race kings as well.

butcher

In summer i do easy offroad on slicks, carefully.

Yeah, it’s surprising how well they can handle it…in the dry. Completely different story when it’s wet and muddy. As long as you have something with decent volume.

andysredmini
    Free Member

I asked the same question a while ago and a lot of people pointed me towards the schwalbe black jack. It has a continuous tread in the middle for on road and more normal mtb tread on the sides for off-road. Cheap as chips too. I never got around to trying them though and started using my commuter more and only took the mtb on days when I wanted to go the off-road way home.

Rik
    Free Member

Maxxis Crossmark are the only choice!

mucker

Thanks to all, good information and pointer’s, surprising how little you can actually get a tyre for, I’ll probably start with the cheapest option and see how I get on.

andysredmini
    Free Member

Don’t leave us guessing? Which one are you going for?

jjojjas
    Free Member

race kings are good. I had them on my old orange that I use for commuting on road and the odd local trail ride when I cant be bothered with the full-sussers. I have some no-name tyres on at the moment that someone donated to me, but when they wear out, I’ll buy race kings again probably.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Tyres, 50% on road, 50% off road.’ is closed to new replies.