Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Tyre wall repairs
  • HantsNightRider
    Free Member

Got a small cut in the tyre wall last night, which the gunk failed to stop, it went down faster as the ride went on.

Anyone used the “Park Tool Emergency Tyre Boot” as a permanent repair, or can I just use a normal puncture kit on the inside of the tyre. Any other options?

Running stans tape on crest rim with stans sealant and a 2 ride old Maxxis Advantange 2.1 folding 70a

jameso

I flinted a UST Maxxis the other day and managed to fix the small cut.

I got some flexible Loctite superglue, the stuff that dries without hardening that they recommend for rubber. Clean the tyre with washing-up liquid inside and out till it squeaks and dry well. Put a tiny bit of glue on the inside to seal the cut / hole as best you can, keeping the tyre flat / in a natural position as it dries – let it dry under pressure ideally. Then glue a small (<1p pc size) bit of inner tube over that area. Let it dry again. Then open up / flex open the outside of the cut and seal it shut with a dab of glue, less the better.

Did this the other day, re-seated and latexed the tyre next morning and inflated, it’s been fine for 30-odd miles at 20psi and looks like a solid repair.

HTH

carlos
    Free Member

Stitch the cut together with some dental floss then patch the inside with either a decent patch or tyre boot.

IHN

One of my tyres picked up a half inch gash in the wall, I fixed it with a piece of thin, flexible plastic (about an inch square) over hole on the inside, gaffer taped to the tyre wall. That was about two years ago and it’s still going strong.

peachos
    Free Member

i always carry some bits of old tyre and a small tube of cheapo superglue with me to fix torn sidewalls and tyres out in the hills. works absolutely fine – have done a few of my own and rescued at least a couple of mates this way. valuable bit of kit IMO. although i might try and get some of that flexible stuff jameso mentions (never knew it existed).

the fixes are air tight so good for running tubeless again and have outlasted the life of the tread.

HantsNightRider
    Free Member

Thanks all,
    Need to get the super glue out then and clean the 2oz of gunk from the inside of the tyre.

jameso

Loctite ‘Powerflex’ superglue is the stuff I have, I think it’s going to prove to be £3 well spent.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Tyre wall repairs’ is closed to new replies.