Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Tyre thread…. which minion?!
  • wiggles
    Free Member

Ok so been deciding for many months on what Tyres to fit on my dialled alpine build.

Got some Stans flow(non ex version) so looking to go tubeless for the first time, maxxis tyres seem a good bet sp thinking of going for a minion front highroller 2 rear.

Worked out our of these
    http://nextdaytyres.co.uk/details.aspx/MAXXIS-HIGH-ROLLER-II-MTB-26/201

2.3 tubeless ready folding exo dual compound for rear.

But which one of these is the best minion?
    http://nextdaytyres.co.uk/details.aspx/MAXXIS-MINION-DHF-MTB-26/19

there is a 2.5 exo but none of them say tubeless ready so really confused.

Help me before I change my mind about what tyres i want again and spend another month being indecisive

stevied
    Free Member

I’ve got the 2.5″ EXO 3c minion and its a fantastic tyre. Much more grip and control than the 60a 2.35″ it replaced.
    I’ve got mine set up tubeless on Stans Flow using Stans tape and gloop.
    Was a bit tricky to seal but only dropped a few psi of air in 3 months..

I’m waiting for stocks of the DHR2 so I can try one of them on the back. The ADvantage isn’t cutting it in the winter mush so well.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

What sort of riding?
    Been happy with 2.35 minions for long enough, have a set of 2.5″s for DH.

I have Maxxis EXO’s up tubeless first time (HRII’s and ardents) along with my old standard single ply minions. It’s only the really super porous stuff that seems to cause issue (conti?)

wiggles
    Free Member

Mostly for the south Wales trail centres, so based on that decided was between these and the hans dampf but much prefer having different front and rears so this seems like a tried and tested combo

How do the sizes compare? Is a 2.3 minion the same time size as a 2.3 HR2?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

not sure, not got the new minions, the older 2.35 is skinnier but similar to the old 2.35 HR which is a lot skinnier than the 2.4 HRII. Must be that elastic ruler.

Looks like your not going to be able to see the tyre before buying which normally answers most questions.

boxelder

The 2.3 DHF, single ply jobbie is a great front tyre for Lakes rocks etc. Runs fine tubeless.

stevied
    Free Member

My 2.5 comes up at about 2.35 @ 28psi

Drac

Stuart

londonerinoz
    Free Member

I’d suggest going EXO single ply to protect better against rocks and to go tubeless more easily. A tubeless ready designation doesn’t matter if you’re going Stans, unless your tyre and rim combination risks burping too easily. If you’re worried that 2.5 is too wide on this account, don’t be, Maxxis tend to come up small anyway IME. I’ve just got 2.5 Minions and they’re less than 2.4 on my old 721 rims. Rolling resistance and weight is another matter of course, but you seem committed to this outcome if you’ve been considering the Hans Dampf.

paladin

tyre size page

Don’t know if this is any use to you, I used it when looking for a front tyre to go in my recons where space is quite limited so size definitely mattered!

therag
    Free Member

I’ve used the standard 2.35 minion single ply, set up tubeless on stans rims and it burped quite easily resulting in tyre off the rim and me down the banking. I use them with tubes now, come in narrow, but good grip.

br
    Free Member

The 2.3 DHF, single ply jobbie is a great front tyre for Lakes rocks etc. Runs fine tubeless.

+1 for Scottish Borders. Makes a good winter tyre too, as quite narrow and knobbly in the right places – rolls well too.

paladin

Just replaced a 2.25 ardent with a 2.35 minion, surprising how much smaller the minion is.

winch
    Free Member

Bit of a thread hijack apologies, but as a quick aside, why is it that the majority of minion’s only appear to be available in wire bead?

http://www.maxxis.co.uk/catalog/tyre-302-minion-dhf-m301

wiggles
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies, looks like I will go for the 2.5 if they come up small…

Probably wire is used most minions as it’s aimed at DH where weight is less of an issue.

nodrog2
    Free Member

2.5 dhf exo or 2.5 dhf 42a tubeless are both great front tyres. Both work really well tubeless. Have you also considered a Specialized Butcher? Very similar to a Minion. The 2.3 comes up pretty much the same as a Maxxis 2.5, it’s tubeless ready and only £30 a tyre, well worth a look.

Northwind

+1 for that, Butcher is basically a more evolved Minion, even made by the same people. Not as sticky as a 2.5 supertacky but not far off, while faster lighter and cheaper. Probably not as tough, due to the diet but I’ve not found them fragile.

rocketman
    Free Member

+1 for a 2.3 Butcher. All the advantages of a 2.5 Minion without any of the disadvantages

Northwind

We’re dead helpful us, man asks which Minion to buy and instead of narrowing the options…

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Butchers arn’t bad, the 2Bliss ones arn’t as good as a Minion EXO though, sidewalls are a lot thinner, makes the tyre feel floppy when pushing on. Less grip too.

They compare better in the DH casing though!

boxxer7
    Free Member

Another butcher fan here.

tomaso
    Free Member

Depends where you ride, how and what your purpose is. Dual ply Minion DHF on the rear here for Lakeland adventures, but a big fan of the Chunky Monkey dual compound up front – for the money it can’t be beat.

The 3C Minion up front is an amazing tyre, but golly you pay for the priveledge. Not sure it is worth the extra over a CM but its definitely better.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Tyre thread…. which minion?!’ is closed to new replies.