Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Tyre storage?
  • bonesetter
    Free Member

Anyone any good ideas on tyre storage methods in a shed/garage?

mlke
    Free Member

Sunlight isn't great for tyres if you're planning on keeping them for a while so any old space which is out of sunlight should be fine.

cxi
    Free Member

I've got two small hooks screwed into a roof beam in the garage. The hook of the, erm, hook is just the right size to slide a length of metal hanging rail through. Has held up numerous tyres and wheels for over a year now.

I got everything from B&Q for a few quid.

KonaTC

I have a couple of these Ikea Dimpa Bag they hold abgout 6 tyres each

Macavity
    Free Member

Continental say:

"Tyre Maintenance
    Take some simple steps to ensure you get the best possible life out of your Continental tyres.

Sunlight – Tyres do not respond well to prolonged sunlight (ultra violet) exposure. The tyre rubber will become weak and will eventually crack and break up. Store your cycle away from direct sunlight when possible.

Damp – Damp storage conditions will also shorten your tyres life. If you’ve been out in the rain, make sure your bike is left in a dry atmosphere immediately following your ride.

Not using the bike for a while? Store the bike upside down, or hang it up to prevent tyre deformation.

Inspection – Inspect your tyres before every ride. Check for cuts and wear & brush off any road debris attached to the tread.

Most importantly – Tyre pressure. Inflate your tyres to the recommended pressure in this guide. Carrying a heavy load? If so, then increase the pressure up to and including the maximum shown in this guide." http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/conticycle/technical_safety.shtml

bonesetter
    Free Member

Apreciate the comments, especially sunlight avoidance

What I was really after is home made practical storage solutions for say 2 dozen tyres, mine are in a big heap on the floor at the mo.

The rail on hooks suggestion sounds good as does the Ikea bags. I like the idea of being able to flick through them and easily pick one out to use, or am I just being idealistically impractical?

spooky_b329

For kevlar beaded tyres, turn them inside out so the tread is on the inside, then roll them up and put a couple of turns of insulation tape around them. If you are fussy, use light coloured tape and label them as its hard to work out which tyres are which!

Midnighthour
    Free Member

I saw somewhere recently that florescent lights are very bad for rubber based compounds and cause degrading.

I think racing cyclists and their mechanics used to 'age' tyres very carefully in cool dark cellars to improve performance, especially for big races. Expect you can find an article or advice on that if you search around.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Tyre storage?’ is closed to new replies.