Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Tyre sealant recipe!!
  • GSI-MAN
    Free Member

Can i use Moulding Latex as part of a recipe for sealant as i have run out of stans to run my tyres tubeless.What else would i need??

allthegear
    Free Member

You could try some of the Yorkshire puddings from my works canteen. They would seal any hole…

Rachel

schrickvr6
    Free Member

I use a mixture of latex, water, screen wash and Slime. Seals most things but I did have a 1cm-ish cut the other day that didn’t seal, but then I doubt much would.

sslowpace
    Free Member

Buy some notubes sealant.
    Job done.

lipseal
    Free Member

Try my wife’s home made custard.

GSI-MAN
    Free Member

Any other PROPER replies!! 🙄

jameso

I’ve been using art shop latex for years, it works well. £12 a litre locally. you need to roll off the dried stuff from the tyre / rim bead area when refitting tyres, but this 5 min job is worth the way it seals thorn holes even when it seems to be dry inside the tyre. it does mean no spillage and mess on the trail when you put a tube in, only needed to do this once so far in many miles of woods / towpath riding and had 2 flats in about 3 years now.

adding 20% or so water to it helps keep it liquid for longer, there’s probably a solvent you can add that turns it into the same stuff as stans but i’ve never felt the need to experiment as what i have works fine. i use it to seal tubeless tyres onto std (X430, 717 etc) rims that have plumbers tape wrapped over the spoke holes, my SS lasted from October till now, without more than a fortnighly air top-up, until i flinted the rear RQ ust this week. replaced it with a clean race king UST tyre to the back in 10 mins with just over half an aerosol can cap of latex / water mix. pour a bit between bead and rim each side and let it run round before inflating with a track pump, goes up every time once you get the knack. if you use UST rims and tyres just a 30-70 water-latex mix in as sealant is all you need and it’s been faultless on my shimano and dt UST wheels with maxxis and conti tyres. stans have been a bit more hit/miss but still good overall.

it’s a minor faff at times, but i prefer predictable faff in the garage to faff on the trails that i get at least every other ride with inner tubes.

hope that’s of use..

jameso

I use a mixture of latex, water, screen wash and Slime

All at once in the same tyre?

bedmaker

Lots of recipes here and on MTBR over the years using latex, fairy, screenwash, etc.
    I tried allsorts but nothing works/lasts as well as Stans. I’d recommend forgetting the faff and just getting some.

totoro
    Free Member

I’ve been using latex, water and screen wash for a while and the first batch worked better than Stan’s (sealed as well, lasted longer). Having used up the original liquid latex I bought some more seemingly very similar. However this one cures very quickly (7hrs riding) and I’m soon left with either soapy water or a dry tyre. Strangely the same mixture left in a jar stayed fine.

Any ideas on what causes this? Poor quality latex, contaminants left in the tyre? Not sure how to choose good latex so may have to resort to Stan’s.

Like jameso says, the remaining skin of dried latex does seem to work well enough although not sure I’d want to trust this for a race.

Another potential problem is ammonia in the liquid latex (does Stan’s smell of this, like Copydex?). It dissolves aluminium oxide (anodising) so may not be too good for your wheels, although I haven’t seen any damage yet.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Tyre sealant recipe!!’ is closed to new replies.