Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Tyre recommendations needed – but not the normal "what tyre for …"
  • CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Mrs M is wanting to get fitter and is going to give a bike another go. She tried some time ago but didn’t really get going – this time she has a friend who she can cycle with so hopefully there will be more motivation

I have a very old Stumpjumper HT that I’ve got going and put a lady’s saddle on, but need to get some new tyres. She’s only going to be doing roads and good LR tracks, and she’s not into speed or steep climbs, so, your suggestions please on something that will be nice and fast rolling and feel safe for her

lucien

Kenda SB8’s, Michelin Dry’s, – basically anything that hasn’t got any real tread on it would suffice I would think….?

druidh
    Free Member

Schwalbe Landcruiser. It has a nice wavy “centreline” to make it fast rolling but still has knobbly edges for grip in the loose/wet stuff.

matt_outandabout

I am well impressed on LR tracks by mrs_oab’s weeny Vulpine SL’s – really supple and surprisingly grippy for what looks nearly a slick…they also go whooooooooooooooosh fast. As with Landcruisers, some edge on them when needed. Cost £10 of classifieds…

therag
    Free Member

Maybe a maxis crossmark, so if it’s only used a few times it will be of use to you?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Any semi slick, with a decent carcass.

PaulD
    Free Member

Schwalbe Rocket Ron Performance 2.25″ at £17.50 each at On-One sale.

Voluminous for some suspension, light (approx 520g) and not too grippy/low rolling resistance.

Or, SB8s at a higher price and awful/useless/exciting in the mud.

PaulD

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Thanks guys. So I’ll check out
    Kenda SB8
    Michelin Dry
    Schwalbe Landcruiser
    Vulpine SL

I like the idea of that almost slick centre section but with grip on the outside for a bit of confidence if the track gets a bit loose

Probably pass on the Rocket Rons as I think a skinnier tyre will have less rolling resistance

Any other mega suggestions before I push the button on one of the above?

PaulD
    Free Member

CM,

Pass on the Rons if you wish, but do it for valid reasons.

Rolling resistance is far more complex than just compound or tread or size.

A hardtail needs a voluminous tyre for comfort…I have experimented (and dismissed) Kenda Klimax-Lites which are claimed to be 1.95 but are nearer 1.5 inflated. Fine on tarmac and hardpack but deficient off-road.

PaulD

james
    Free Member

“almost slick centre section but with grip on the outside for a bit of confidence if the track gets a bit loose”
    Id have thought if confidence is an issue she’ll not be leaning the tyre/bike over to get that outside tread to really bite?
    Something with some low (rather than almost nothing) tread might be better?
    Personally I found tyres with near centre-line-ridge-type tread, like maxxis crossmarks although rolled quite well could slip out under breaking/pedalling (okay a fair bit of) and I never really trusted them in the loose or to corner on properly
    My Michelin Dry2’s are maybe a touch lower tread but dont have a centre-line and I find (in the dry and not too loose) to be more predictable and trustworthy all round, while being almost as good rolling.
    On-one have the folding 2.15″ dry2’s for £10 atm (as big as 2.25″ maxxis (bigger than 2.35″ maxxis), slightly bigger than 2.25″ schwalbe)
    The 2.0″ versions are better rollers though, being a bit lighter/smaller, but still big for a 2.0″
    They are still an offroad tyre, so not anything like slick quick on the road

” I think a skinnier tyre will have less rolling resistance”
    On a (smooth) road/smooth surfaces yes, in the rough I believe not so, a fatter tyre more easily ‘deforms’ to rough surfaces so rolls better, or so Ive read

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

PaulD, good point about the tyre volume as Mrs M does find the bike uncomfortable

james – good point about predictability as she is a nervous rider

Hmm, so reasonable volume with a low tread pattern – so which of the above would that be?

konarider
    Free Member

I found the Panaracer Mach SS good on the road and still quite good on a dry trail

mboy
    Free Member

Michelin Dry2’s for definite. As quick as a semi slick, still offer decent grip offroad (unless you’re riding in mud obviously), they’re pretty light and they’re ridiculously cheap from On One right now. Have run a pair of 2.3’s for a summer before, front and back, only ended up taking them off when it got muddy in November, and never found them wanting except under braking on very steep terrain (lack of large centre blocks to hook up with), but otherwise excellent.

The 2.3’s are big, and have reinforced sidewalls, the 2.15’s are still big but a bit more sensible and are quite a bit lighter.

dufresneorama
    Free Member

I found the Michelin’s to be large volume and much bigger than the stated 2.0

stumpy01

Specialized Fast Trak?

Other half has them on her Myka hardtail and seems happy enough with them.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Thanks all. Having looked at the tyres and a few reviews, I reckon the Michelin Dry 2.15’s are the choice as they have a bit of tread and sound big enough to give a bit of comfort. And at £9.99 each from On One (thanks mboy and james) they are a steal

Pieface

Whats an LR track?

Continental Travel contacts are very good IMO. Smooth centre section with water grooves and then side knobs for grip in rough / muddy stuff.

Used them for commuting in snow and they were fine, as well as a fair bit of mixed on / off road bike touring with some proper off road ascents / descents fully laden with panniers so plenty of grip. Also the ‘ProTection’ does a good job of keeping punctures at bay – i didn’t get one in 2 years of use

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Pieface – Member

Whats an LR track?

Landrover track. Thanks for the suggestion, but Mrs M won’t be venturing on to rough/muddy stuff in the near future.

The Michelin Dry 2’s now ordered from On One at £10 each

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Tyre recommendations needed – but not the normal "what tyre for …"’ is closed to new replies.