Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Tyre question for a Kaffenback
  • Jeffus
    Free Member

Going to build up a Kaffenback , will take upto a 32mm , will I be better with a 28c for comfortable riding or going the full 32c,
    Last road bike had 23c but I want to go on sneaky lane trails/roads so will need some cush, does anyone have any recomended tyres from experience. Have been looking at the Continental Grand Prix 4 Season Vectran Duraskin or the Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tyre 😀 want grip and some puncture resistance, even tubless would be cool, I will have Roval control trail rims of my 29er , heavy but strong.

ianfitz
    Free Member

I have some of the conti s you mention in a 28 for my kaffenback.

But as mine is still in bits and boxes waiting to be built this weekend I can’t tell you how it rides.

I’m hopeful though 🙂

jimc101
    Free Member

Have an Mk1 Kaffenback, and have run 23-28mm tires on it at various times, have had 28mm Conti Top Contact’s for the last 4-5 years, great but expensive tires, never had a puncture with them. The bike stays mainly on road, but if bridleways are avaliable, it goes on them.

Having used 4 Seasons before, nice tires, but Schwalbe Durano’s do the same for far less money.

For Schwalbe Marathons, without knowing which version you are looking at, impossible to know it they will be any good, you can get cheap, heavy ones, or superfast light versions, which will cost, but are far better than the cheap ones, a quick look at the Schwalbe site indicates the nice ones are only available in big 38mm+ sizes.

houndlegs
    Free Member

I’ve got Vittoria randonneur pros on my mk 1 in 32 width,put them on for summer to go weekend touring.
    I was going to swap them for something more “roadie” for the winter, but I ain’t gonna bother now.
    I use them on the road,towpaths and fire roads with no issues so far.

jerrys
    Free Member

I’ve got a Mk2 Kaffenback which is fitted with Panaracer Tourguard plus 28 tyres. Absolutely bomb proof but weigh a ton. I’ve run them for most of the year on my CdF on/off road (bridlepaths etc).

When I was building the Kaff I borrowed the wheels and tyres off the CdF. The CdF now has it’s own wheels back and its original knobbly tyres now.

Waderider
    Free Member

My Mk1 Kaffenback has run either 25 or 28mm Conti 4 Seasons for the last few years, fair mileage including light off-road (and the Paris-Roubaix challenge).

I trust them, although recently I had a tube bubble out a hole in the casing. Just after pushing the limits off road, mind you.

Waderider
    Free Member

My Mk1 Kaffenback has run either 25 or 28mm Conti 4 Seasons for the last few years, fair mileage including light off-road (and the Paris-Roubaix challenge).

I trust them, although recently I had a tube bubble out a hole in the casing. Just after pushing the limits off road, mind you.

Jeffus
    Free Member

Thanks for the replys will try some 32c
    Sounds like they will give me a smooth ride
    With some extra grip for the cheeky paths…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Whilst we’ve got a kaffenback thread, I’m thinking of building one as an allround road bike. Don’t need it to be superlight, just don’t want it to feel heavy either. Really I just want a race derived bike, but with clerance for 32c tyres and guards!

My old tourer is nice, but it’s quite relaxed geometry which doesn’t make it feel zippy like a road bike should.

Does the Kaffenback fit the bill?

ceepers

Have a look at clement x’plor mso in 32. Not too draggy on road, great in gravel or dirt

First Impressions: Clement X’Plor MSO 700×32 Tires

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Tyre question for a Kaffenback’ is closed to new replies.