Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Tyre options for a summer peak district bike?
  • chilled76
    Free Member

Afternoon folks..

Lugged my sb6c round a 42 mile trip in the Hope Valley on Saturday circa 6000ft of climbing.

Found it hard work and even on some decents I felt my tyres were slowing me down (lot of effort to wind them up to speed).

It’s not a particularly heavy bike, yes it’s overkill for most of the miles at 160mm travel but I can only have space for 1 suspension bike so it needs to cover uplift and alpine trips hence the choice.

I really felt the tyres were hard work though and on some short road sections they were making it hard work to keep up with the group I was out with.

Currently running Magic Mary trailstar front and Hans Dampf Pacestar rear. Both 2.35 650b.

Anyone recommend a different combination that will still give some grip in the corners but be overall lighter to wind up and less draggy?

Preferably something that will manage some speedy rocky descents though without tearing at a glimpse of a rock.

Thanks for recommendations in advance

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I just used a semi slick. In summer there’s so much grip on the gritstone it didn’t matter what rear I used.

Dirtjump tyres in particulalr worked really well, like DMR Moto, Maxxis Holly-Roller because they had just enough grip, plenty of sidewall protection and minimal rolling resistance. I don’t think anyone makes anything like that in 650b though 🙁

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

Summer tyres….
    Shorty front and rear 😉

stevied
    Free Member

Minion SS?

momo

Are you on supergravity casing or regular folding?

Try swapping the HD for a rock razor, should give you a good balance of grip with a big reduction in rolling resistance.

chilled76
    Free Member

Regular folding. One fella who was out recommended a rock razor on the rear and keeping the Mary.

That will probably be what I try next unless there’s a massive load of recomendations for an alternative?

br
    Free Member

I swapped from a 3c Shorty / e13 dual to a 3c HR2 / Minion SS at the weekend.

Good but a bit hairy on one particular fast off piste bit, where the HR just wasn’t slowing me down

chakaping
    Free Member

Yep, swap the HD for a Rock Razor. Great tyre.

I’m gonna remove my Mary for one of these on the front at some point…
    http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/TYOOCM29X24/on-one-chunky-monkey-29×24-tyre

You want the trail extreme version, it’s dual compound.

Drop me a line if you’re interested in a used supergravity Rock Razor.

chilled76
    Free Member

Cheers but I’m more likely to go for a Snakeskin Pacestar one as they are about 30% lighter.

letitreign
    Free Member

Or run the Hans Dampf up front and bop a Rock Razor on the rear, see how that combination goes first before buying two new tires.

chilled76
    Free Member

Yeh I thought about trying that.

Is there much difference up front between running a Mary and a Damp?

Pretty sold on the razor for on the rear although I’ve read a few crc reviews of them puncturing easy in the main tread

sofaboy73
    Free Member

“Is there much difference up front between running a Mary and a Damp?”

yes, I find the HD really sketchy as a front tyre in terms of hard cornering. I’d keep the MM on the front and stick a minion DHR2 or highroller 2 on the back in dual compound flavour (found 3C very draggy on the rear). saying that I never found MM front and HD rear too draggy when I was using them, only stopped as I found them too fragile for the peak, so swapped to a super gravity MM for the front but at over a kg there was no way I was going with one on the rear

chilled76
    Free Member

Cheers for that.

Just had a look and the dampf on the rear is a trailstar not pacestar so a touch more draggy than I had stated.

Think I’ll start with a different rear tyre.

Not too keen on mixing brands from an aesthetic point of view. What’s the maxxis equivalents to Mary front (trailstar) and Razor rear (Pacestar)?

stevied
    Free Member

What’s the maxxis equivalents to Mary front (trailstar) and Razor rear (Pacestar)?

I’d go with DHR2 3C EXO TR on the front, Minion SS EXO TR on the back.

chiefgrooveguru

Closest Maxxis to a Magic Mary 2.35 is a Shorty 2.5 – but that’s better at mud. Going the other way from mud tyres it’s the High Roller 2 or Minion DHF or DHR2, probably in the new WT 2.5 sizes.

Rock Razer equivalent is the Minion SS. On my bike right now (literally taking a break from pushing it up a steep hill) I have a Minion SS 2.3 Exo Silkworm Dual and a High Roller 2 2.4 Exo 3C which are a pretty nice pairing of fast, good braking from the front and good turning from both.

chilled76
    Free Member

Thanks for input everyone. Just ordered a Rock Razor in Pacestar evo flavour to try on the rear.

Cheers

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Tyre options for a summer peak district bike?’ is closed to new replies.