Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Tyre Deformation
  • edoverheels
    Free Member

Yesterday hit something hard with the back wheel on a descent. When I got to the bottom I thought I had bent the wheel but on more careful inspection it is just the tyre that has become mishapen. Enough for it to be a wobble on the road.
    Tyre is a nearly new (Father Christmas) Minion DH front EXO on a rather old and flat spotted Mavic rim running tubeless. This morning took the tyre off and could not see any obvious problem, reseated and inflated and wobble still there.
    Happened to anyone else and is there a cure?
    Thanks

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Sure it was perfectly straight before? Most tyres I have had have a degree of wobble and if it was on a non round rim then I would surely expect some wobble…?

edoverheels
    Free Member

It might not have been perfectly straight but I had never noticed any issue with it previously but noticed it as soon as I finished the run. Thought I had a flat but it was just a wobble as stated. Just miffed because it was a new tyre.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

I guess if the bead was damaged then it might come up on that side, but to be honest I would have thought it would simply pop off under any kind of pressure if that were the case. Maybe time to take it off and have a look.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Didn’t rubber queens used to do this? It was a manuf’ issue. Have a polite word with the shop you got it from.

edoverheels
    Free Member

Have had it off and looked at it. Expected any kink in the carcass from the ‘pinch’ to have shown up when not under inflated pressure. But no, close examination revealed nothing which is why I put it back on, expecting that perhaps it had just shifted on the rim or something but as soon as it was pumped up again it was exactly the same.
    They were on offer from CRC, maybe will have a word as you say

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It won’t be the bead, but it’s sometimes possible to cut/damage the threads in the casing, not sure how much of a ‘manufacturing issue’ you could make that out to be, it’s just unlucky, like crashing a bike or getting a puncture, think you’d be relying on their good will.

edoverheels
    Free Member

Agree
    Not really holding out any hope, will ride it round a bit just to see if I get used to it. if not then just have to get another. Just thought that if you damaged a tyre wall you would be able to see it under close inspection when off the rim.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I did this with a spesh storm control. You’ve damaged the internal structure of the tyre, the weave if you like, bin job. Try sending it back, worth a shot?.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Some people have had rubber queens replaced after suffering this. There was something said about the carcass “slipping” on the bead.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Tyre Deformation’ is closed to new replies.