Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Tyre damage
  • UrbanHiker
    Free Member

Only done <250miles, and picked up a nick in the tread. Time to retire?

[/url]image2 by KingOfBrad, on Flickr[/img]
    [/url]image1 by KingOfBrad, on Flickr[/img]

amedias
    Free Member

Definitely time to retire, that’s not just a nick in the tread, that’s a combination of worn through and separation from the carcass, either due to defect or an initial (probably smaller) tear or cut and then extra scuffing.

There’ seems to be a lot of wear and scuffing on adjacent knobbles too, like slight/mini skidding damage, is it like that all round the tyre or just at that spot?

Last time I had a tyre do anything like that it was a result of an emergency (almost) stop before plowing into the side of a van, locked up wheel + dry tarmac scrubbed and peeled a strip of the tread clean off the carcass.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

That’s one knackered Onza Porc.

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

the scuffing is just on that section of tyre. interestingly when the wheel spins the tyre wavers from side to side, just at that point. This is what made me look, as it constantly feels like its fish tailing. Looks almost like the bead is not seated on the rim correctly, though it is seated right. could it be an mfg fault that caused premature wear?

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

PJ, wrong. guess again.

Bez

Under 250 miles? Really? That’s two proper road rides. Has this thing been subjected to constant fixie skids, or what? (The centre line looks like it’s been abraded, so I assume it has; otherwise it looks like a bad day at the factory.)

I think PJ’s joke may have sailed over your head 😉

lunge

250 miles? You sure? That either a VERY well used tyre or a VERY soft compound, the rest of the tyre looks very well used.

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

Definitely less than 250miles. Its on a brand new bike, I’m still counting each mile. You can see mould artefacts just off to the centre line, and the front tyre still has them down the centre line!

Nothing more than standard road miles, no skids, not fixie etc. Like I say though it seems to shimmy left to right, just at that point. This would probably induce premature wear?

Its one of these, so the nobles aren’t huge to begin with.

Schwalbe G-One Speed tyres

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Blimey, I’ve had one puncture in my 2.35″ rear tyre dince fitting a pair ~2 months ago (~350-400 nostly road miles?), but they are nowhere near as worn as that one looks!

Before getting the puncture, I was typically running them ~35/40PSI, now running ~40/45PSI on 29er Reet’ard rims (21mm internal rim width?).

hols2
    Free Member

I had the same thing happen. Had a puncture on the way to work, fixed it on the side of the road but the bead wouldn’t seat properly. Was feeling a bit lazy so figured it was easier to just replace the tyre. Thought I probably had a half decent tyre somewhere in the big pile out back, but was too lazy to actually go and look when I got home, decided to put it off till the weekend. On the weekend, I forgot, so rode it another week then figured it was easier to just order a new tyre online instead of going outside to see if I had one that would do. The new tyre order was delayed a week because the courier tried to deliver when I was at work and I didn’t notice the rescheduling slip in the pile of junk mail. Then I couldn’t be arsed changing tyres after work so decided to put it off until the weekend again. Only 3 miles from work to home, so can walk it if need be. I ended up riding the wonky tyre for about 3 weeks until it split on the way to work. Nursed it home gently expecting it to pop at any moment.

So anyway, having a tyre not seated properly will definitely cause premature wear at that spot. Also possible that a bent rim would cause it. If it’s a brand new bike, best to take it back to the shop.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

PJ, wrong. guess again.

😆

I feel the joke is lost here.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Tyre damage’ is closed to new replies.