Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Tyre combinations Dyfi
  • nunuboogie
    Free Member

Numpty Question
    I have a choice of nobby nics 2.35 and crossmark 2.35 should I ride crossmark front or rear?

roach

I have no idea on those tyres sorry. I just hope my Spesh Enduro 2.25 tyres are going to hold up.

richc
    Free Member

Anything with strong sidewalls is my recommendation, otherwise you will be one of the people at the bottom of the late descents trying to fix a sidewall rip.

Top tip, take some tyre boots, or at a push some bars in strong foil wrappers as then you can jam them between the tube and the tyre so you can keep riding.

Surfr
    Free Member

*ignorance*

What’s a tyre boot?

STATO
    Free Member

bit of non-stretchy plastic you shove between your tyre and tube so the tube dosnt bulge out the cut sidewall.

richc
    Free Member

usually a bit of old tyre or Park do plastic patches (but a but of old washing up bottle works as well).

Basically if you cut your sidewall, and you get the black balloon of inner tube poking out, you let the tyre down (if it hasn’t popped), unseat the tyre and use this bit of plastic between the inner tube and the tyre so it covers the cut, re-inflate the tube so it pins it in place and you can keep on riding as the inner tube won’t be able to push its way through the tyre carcass.

I can confirm that nutrigrain bars work well, as on the last Dyfi I had 3 of them in my rear tyre all ozing jammy goodness out 😉 In hindsight the Specialized tyre I was running (a low profile, low rolling resistance racing one) wasn’t the best choice

emac65
    Free Member

I just hope my Spesh Enduro 2.25 tyres are going to hold up.

I’ve used Spesh’s fast traks for the last 3 years with any problems….

richc
    Free Member

ironically, I think those are the one’s I destroyed. After around 3 rides I gave up on them as the sidewalls were completely cut to shreds 8)

Surfr
    Free Member

Ah that makes sense and should not take much space in the camelback. Thanks for the description 🙂

I’m hoping that my brand new Mountain King Protection 2.2s will do the job.

richc
    Free Member

one year they had some Conti people there giving out replacement tyres and tubes to people who were suffering.

not sure if that’s the case this year.

emac65
    Free Member

RichC,ironically I know mine have done loads of miles across many rocks & the sidewalls are still intact,p’haps I’m just a better rider than you…………….
    Or slower 😉

richc
    Free Member

more likely less clumsy 😉

nunuboogie
    Free Member

Front or rear? 🙄

timber

toothpaste tubes also particularly good boots as is silage tape
    sturdiest fat tyres unless you’re one of the people who pushes down the descents

roach

Just choppped up a plastic milk bottle into a variety of “sidewall rip” sizes 8)

Beats 3.99 for park tyre boots 😉

orange
    Free Member

crossmark on the rear

martyntr
    Free Member

Go Nobby Nics, that’s what I’ll have on the front.

Doug
    Free Member

IIRC Sim had Crossmarks on last year and seemed to be pleased with the choice.

Kahurangi

Chopped up milk bottles w/ superglue, 3 tyre boots. Tubes and Patches. hope I won’t need any.

Wave as you flash past the mincer on the orange Trek.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Tyre combinations Dyfi’ is closed to new replies.