• This topic has 26 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by WBC.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • tyre choice for the seriously skint
  • muddydwarf
    Free Member

I need a new set of tyres for the autumn/winter but i'm skint.
    I'm looking at :-
    Conti explorer basic folding
    Hutchinson Bulldog airlight

All are under £20. Any other cheap offers out there i should be looking at?

barca
    Free Member

If it's any help to you muddydwarf. I'll have a part worn Racing Ralph and Nobby Nic you can have for free by the end of next week. I have no idea how they'll cope with winter because they certainly aren't coping with summer! Hateful, awful things!

druidh
    Free Member

I have some Specialized Resolution Pros in a 2.3 that I'm selling off. Little use.

* Photos are at http://www.flickr.com/photos/druidh2000/sets/72157608617767203/

steve_b77
    Free Member

How about some conti vertical pros from halfrauds for £16 each?

CaptainBudget
    Free Member

^^^Verticals are good tyres, and I got mine from a LBS for £14 an end. Great for hardpack, though they don't like deep mud.

Andyhilton
    Free Member

I've got a set of panny fire xcs (blue stripe) part worn that got me through last winter. You can have them for nowt if you can pickup from sale or cheadle. my email is in profile if you're interested

jonb
    Free Member

Go have a look on Merlin, CRC and Wiggle.

Sort by price and see what comes up that meets your price vs. performance criteria. OR put a WTD advert on here.

CRC has some pretty good options, loads of tyres that look perfectly adequate for £13 each. Conti mountainkings are in there (wire) as are a few others that I would consider even if not on a budget.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I've got a conti vert and a gravity, both wire beaded. The Vert is fine but the gravity really drags, maybe i should just buy one more vertical then?
    Barca, what don't you like about the ralphs and nobby nics?

Dibbs
    Free Member

My LBS has a bargain bin that quite often has new tyres off customers bikes (changed more often than not because they're not the current fashionable brand).

barca
    Free Member

MuddyD, they're fine in the dry and firm but the slightest hint of wet and/or loose and they're like stilettos on ice (not that I've personally experienced stilletos on ice). Wet rock and they're lethal and that's been the majority of my local riding this year.

Swiftacular
    Free Member

If muddy dwarf doesnt take the NN/RR combo (if theyre 2.25 EVO's) ill take them, and donate a pair of Schwalbe Black Sharks?
    I run Evo 2.25 RR/NN and theyre the best all round tyre ive ever used. (we dont have too many rocks round here though.
    By contrast i never got on with the Black Sharks, too much grip, doesnt suit my riding style or the local mud.

smurf
    Free Member

I've got a pair of pretty new Specialized Adrenaline 26 x 2 inches. You can have those for £20 posted. Decent tyres. Photos available.

Drop me an email (simon AT murfin DOT org DOT uk) if you're interested.

smurf

rents
    Free Member

my lbs has IRC Mythos on offer. awsome tyre!

Teetosugars
    Free Member
    scuttler

You can have the Mountain Kings in my garage for a fiver each if you can come and collect (Holmfirth, West Yorks), however there's a reason they're hardly used…

Kenda Blue Groove for 15 quid would be my recommendation if you really can get them for this price.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

tioga xc pro. Ran them on a second bike for winter duties and were good. Tenna a pair me thinks.

Hairychested
    Free Member

I bought Intense DH Muds off ebay for almost nowt. Singlespeeding in The Sudetens was fine. Can you live with some extra weight? 800gms each but no punctures.

chakaping
    Free Member

In answer to the OP, Bulldogs are pretty good all rounders.

Swayndo
    Free Member

Just fitted an £18.99 Maxxis Swamp Thing 2.35 SPC super tacky on the front of my woodsy hardtail today. Perfect autumn/winter front tyre for me. Surprisingly light too. I have an older 60a 2.1 for the rear when things get really durty, but a Michelin Mountain A/T 2.2 UST I'm using up will do on the rear for now.

Spud

This guy seems to have a selection at the reasonable end of the price range: http://www.nextdaytyres.com/home.aspx

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

edit… Facrory xc's

Swayndo
    Free Member

Spud, that's where I got mine. Next day right enough.

neilsonwheels … you might need another edit.

Rockplough
    Free Member

Kenda Blue Groove for 15 quid would be my recommendation if you really can get them for this price.

I ordered a couple on Friday and they were dispatched same day. 2.35in only at the discounted price though so might not be suitable for the OP.

Anthony
    Free Member

I have just got a pair of Spesh Storm-Pro tyres from Rutlands. 2.0" winter tyre, folding, 495g on the scales and £25 the pair delivered. Sweeet, thats buy one get one free!

Not ridden them yet mind….

Swiftacular
    Free Member

Those Storms are great, unless you have a lot of road-work theyre a perfect all year tyre.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Continental Gravity. Currently £12.99 each from CRC and I have grown to quite like mine. Not light but tough ang grippy enough for pretty much anything. Not bad on almost any surface except proper slimy mud and then they are at least predictably slippy.

WBC

I've used Conti Explorers (picked up at £8 each) and am very pleased with them. My mate used a pair on TransWales and had no tyre related problems (or a single puncture). In my opinion you can't go wrong! 😀

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘tyre choice for the seriously skint’ is closed to new replies.