Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Tyre choice for DIY tubeless – wire or folding
  • andyl
    Free Member

Just looking for some tyres and have a choice of folding or wire bead. Both exactly the same rubber (Maxxis so should be the same) but the difference is 545g for folding, 620g for wire so not much in it according to the specs.

Planning on trying to do a DIY tubless conversion as I’m normally pretty good and bodging like that but wondering if I’d be better going for the cheaper (£8 per tyre) wire or the folding. I know tyres and rims are the best place to save weight but keeping air in is more important.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Either will be fine, however if the folding ones have exception sidewalls, forget using them for tubeless they are too fragile.

doug_basqueMTB.com

We’re just having this discussion just now on twitter! I personally find that wire is easier but other’s are saying they find kevlar easier. Guess it’s a case of not much difference!

andyl
    Free Member

Yeah I saw the EXC ones but not going near them.

Doug – it does seem to be 6 of one and half a dozen of the other.

awh
    Free Member

I’ve found I could only get wire Maxxis tyres to inflate tubeless on wider rims i.e. Flow and DT 5.1. Whereas the folding Maxxis tyres have worked fine on my Crests and Flows.

andyl
    Free Member

Fortunately I have wide on one rims to put them on! Should make sealing them up for tubeless easier.

chakaping
    Free Member

I have a wire Minion on one end and a folder on the other, both inflate and stay up really well.

Flow rims with rimstrips, not just tape.

HTH

andyl
    Free Member

hmm £60 vs 44 to save 75g per tyre on what are already light tyres (-10% off so £54 v 44)…someone persuade me it’s worth it! 😀

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Tyre choice for DIY tubeless – wire or folding’ is closed to new replies.