Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Twrch Trail,Cwmcarn
  • bikingjax
    Free Member

We are heading to South Wales beginning of August. Does anyone know if the Twrch trail at Cwmcarn is fully open or are there still diversions.Thanks.

wiggles
    Free Member

Diversions still there for now

P-Jay
    Free Member

Spoke to the Ranger on FB a few days ago, couple of months at least he thinks, there’s no scheduled end to the forestry work and they may have to repair the trail afterwards.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Spoke to the Ranger on FB a few days ago, couple of months at least he thinks, there’s no scheduled end to the forestry work and they may have to repair the trail afterwards.

bikingjax
    Free Member

Thankyou wiggles and p-jay for this info.

merynella
    Free Member

Cafall is just as worthwhile as Twrch – even better in some respects – so Cwmcarn still worth a visit. The Twrch diversion at the moment is fire road from near the start which takes you to the top of the main descent plus some extra. Probably worth doing as an add-on to Cafall, to make a 2.5 – 3 hour ride.

philwarren11
    Free Member

Twrch is a turd of a trail and even worse now it has diversions. Cafal is way better.

SOAP
    Free Member

Is it a turd because you cannot clear the climb?
    I’ve cleared it dab free once or twice with about 50 attempts.
    Hardest trail centre climb. IMO

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Hardest trail centre climb. IMO

Have you ever ridden the North Face Trail?

dingabell
    Free Member

Massive tree down on Caffall.
    Looks like a bomb has exploded inside it.
    Just drag your bike down the slope to the left and pick it up there.

merynella
    Free Member

I didn’t see that tree yesterday; is that the one they’ve already cleared?

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

Yes they’ve already cleared it

P-Jay
    Free Member

I like Cafall, although the climb is hard, especially with my oh so cool, but I’m sure utterly pointless 1×10 set-up, if ever their was the need for a granny.

Anyway, it’s about ‘peak’ now in my opinion, open long enough that it’s bedded in and ‘stable’ (it was a complete bog when it opened, so much so I couldn’t get my bike to move through the mud DOWNHILL) but not so old to mean that necessary maintenance has removed the looser, rooty stuff.

I find it harder that Twrch both up and down, and have a 50% ride to crash ratio – but it’s a great ride. If you know the lay of the land, I prefer to avoid the last descent into the car park, grind up the road to the final descent of the Twrch – it’s loose as a goose at the moment because it’s not getting rode much so 30mph drifts are on the cards if you pin it!

bombjack
    Free Member

Another +1 for Cafell. Love the climb from the hut onwards, rode it on a hot, dry morning and was utterly shagged by the top. Looking forward to when the Twrch reopens and can do both as a loop.

orangeorange
    Free Member

I posted my dislike for Cafell a few weeks back as I really do enjoy the technicality of the Twrch ascent and the manic last descent back to the carpark,but paradoxically after a few weeks form afore-mentioned juvenile rant I cant wait to go back and try Cafell again,so go figure ….
    Did the Brecon Gap route twice this weekend,`twas a near-death experience I tell thee.

molgrips
    Free Member

Twrch is a turd of a trail

Don’t listen to him, it’s great. As is Cafall. Both good, both preferable to Afan IMO.

Did the Brecon Gap route twice this weekend,`twas a near-death experience I tell thee

Wot? How?

adsh
    Free Member

How many metres of climbing on Cafell?

orangeorange
    Free Member

Molgrips,because doing it twice nearly finished me off !
    It was really windy up there on Saturday though.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Twrch Trail,Cwmcarn’ is closed to new replies.