Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • Two highly sensible, mature, (and boring) questions for the grown ups out there!
  • mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I just get a bit wound up I see some people spending a fortune on the baby gear but no time with them.
    You have twins so it's a whole different ball game, we had an 18 month gap so went from front carrier, to backpack to feet.

I honestly don't think that having twins makes things different as such – still the same considerations when buying stuff, but I do agree that time with the children is massively more important than having the latest kit. We have tried to keep spending down where we can by going to the above-mentioned NCT sales (which are fantastic I have to agree) as well as the girls from the NCT class we attended all watch out for second-hand bargains for each other if they know anyone wants anything in particular. I reckon that over 50% of the stuff we have is second-hand including clothes and Moses baskets etc – some bought SH, some just borrowed or given. But the big things are generally new (cot beds, pram etc).

I just think there was initially some inverted snobbery spouted/posted about prams which wound me up. Perhaps I need more sleep?

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

just find it interesting that there is an apparent reticence from some people to spend money on their children as 'second-hand is good enough' and it hugs trees and stops icecaps from melting and other poor excuses.

MF, I'm now sorry I withdrew/deleted my earlier comment calling you a pompous arse.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

MF, I'm now sorry I withdrew/deleted my earlier comment calling you a pompous arse.

Don't be – I would rather people speak how they feel about any given subject. Don't spare my feelings because, quite frankly, you finding me a pompous arse doesn't really bother me at all. I am happy with me and my opinions just as you should be about you and your opinions.

x

tree-magnet
    Free Member

The only things I bought new were the pram and consumables (nappies etc). We've bought a few books, some toys, but all his clothes, his cot, some of his toys and stairgates etc all came from friends, family and car boot sales. We got a new pram as it was a gift from both our mothers.

We got this one: http://www.britax.co.uk/pushchairs/vigour-3-plus

as it has removable modules so the car seat, the buggy seat and the cot can all slot in. This makes it dead easy to only take the bits we need. It also folds down small enough to fit in the back of a Ford Ka, which has the smallest boot known to man. Oh, and back packs are awesome, as are front carriers. I wear mine all the time round the house as well as out. He's 6 months now and went to his first carnival which he loved as he could sit in the carrier and kick his legs and dance with the bands going past.

Oh, and a roller with fluffiness to sort the roughness of your wall so you don't have to keep going back over it.

roper
    Free Member

If you like running or will be taking the baby over rough ground then Bob strollers are good and safe.
    http://www.bobgear.com/

I ran for a few hours at a time with ours and it worked very well. You can also get two good covers for either sun and insect protection or heavy rain.

acjim
    Free Member

What do the only carriers folk do if they're invited to a party / wedding / some function where it's likely the nipper will want to sleep at some point? (phil&ted old version by the way – good but heavy – excellent for sleeping at weddings)

odannyboy
    Free Member

back onto the original post…. 😯

1) phil and ted buggy rocks.period.nothing better.but only if you expect to have a second soonish ( and dont think, oh no! ask your missus first)
    they do tend to get shabby after a few years but by that stage you be counting off the days till you are rid of the damn thing.

2) furry for very rough surfaces, smooth foam for smooth

or

have you tried a paint pad?dont drip or flick and fast once you get the hang of them.missus swears by them.

odannyboy
    Free Member

oh and wrap wet rollers and trays in cling film while you wait for the paint to dry ,then unwrap and crack on with the second coat. bin /wash at the end.

robob
    Free Member

i would go for one of these http://www.futurecycles.co.uk/trailers-child-trailers-addons/chariot-and-croozer-trailers/croozer-kid-for-2.html
    its a buggy, stroller, jogger and a bike trailer and comes with all the attachments for those activities

AND a cheap light travel system (car seat / buggy / pushchair) from someone like Graco.

marsdenman
    Free Member

Cant advise on the kids side of stuff but, decorating…
    decent brushes and roller (correct pile for the job)
    don't be afraid to visit you local 'decorators centre' (ie where the pro's go) i've always found them helpful and happy to take my money thereafter….

Top Roller Tip – finished the day but need to second coat tomorrow? – wrap roller in an old carrier bag – keeps the paint moist overnight – saves a lot of cleaning….
    IGMC…..

DrP

Cheers for the (some rather heated!) replies!

The pram is gonna be a gift from the grandparents, and to be honest I'm not adverse to second hand items at all, but for the pram I want to buy new – no justification needed…

I think the fact that my wifey will be using the pram too, and that we'd encourage the baby to sleep in it when out, means a pram really is a must! I have a backpack thing for when it's older, but from my research, NO backpacks are designed for newborns?

Given all this, I'm fairly set on the phil and teds!

As for the painting – the walls are already smooth and painted so i'm sure a fine pile/foam roller will suffice. I'm getting the paint from a local pro builder's merchant, so will pick up some painting tools there too.

Cheers,

DrP

joolsburger
    Free Member

My advice would be to get a car seat and a maclaren or equivalent. Six months in they can sit up OK and a travel system is a waste. Our first one had all the toys for our second a car seat/sling was all we used. Then a buggy.

If you must get all the bits (and I'd understand, we did) look at these guys.

http://www.a3babybarn.co.uk/prams-buggies-pushchairs.html

DrP

Well, the way I look at it is you need a pram and you need a car seat, so the P+T can 'clip in' maxi-cosi and other brands of car seat to make it like a travel system, so you can simply lift the car seat out of the car and onto the pram, right? And come 6 months the baby uses the pram like a 'normal' chair…?

DrP

DrP

I don't know why I posed that as a question – I know it can!

DrP?

joolsburger
    Free Member

Sounds good.

For your first I know what it's like all excited and want all the toys but my advice is don't go too mad. After 6 months your best bet is a maclaren style buggy because they are small and stay out of the way and are not a pain in the arse!

As for off road use a sling – seriously.

jonb
    Free Member

The finish is as much to do with the poaint as the roller. Don't scrimp though, if you've bought decent paint get a roller to go with it. Is there any information on the dulux website. Never use rollers at work, my current paint is put on with a trowel.

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. Backpacks aren't designed for newborn, but these are: Wilkinet
    We had one of them (second hand (actually third hand I think)), but there are loads of other slings about that do the same sort of thing.

Probably the best idea for transporting tiny babies around – they seem to like being attached to mum or dad.

+ a bog standard carry cot for the car and when you want baby portable/pick up-put downable.

That'll keep you going until they are big enough for backpack/pushchair. The pushchair we had was an old Silvercross one that was not only cheap (£10) but IMHO much better than anything we could find new because the baby faced backwards. We thought that was intuitively right, but there is also some science to suggest it is better for baby to look at mum/dad than at the big wide world in front of him/her.

We also had a big (given to us free) Silvercross pram that was used by both our kids and who knows how many previously for morning and afternoon outdoor naps regardless of the weather.

The baby won't/shouldn't use the pram like a normal chair.

DrP

Probably the best idea for transporting tiny babies around…

Maybe for a nice walk in the park – but I can't imagine us going for a tesco shop with that thing, or wandering around town with shopping/baby bags etc!
    No doubt it's a lovely device, and I'm looking forward to carrying the little one in the backpack when it's older, but TBH, a pram with its storage space is a must!

As for the paint issue – I think I'll go down the foam roller route, but get a good one!

DrP

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

Seriously, for Tesco, you want a bog standard carseat (should have said carseat above where I said carry cot (which is something different)) – they have special trolleys that you put the carseat on top of. taking your own pram round a supermarket is a right pain. Although I would happily walk round shopping with newborn in Wilkinet/sling. Anyway, you'll find out for yourself soon enough – enjoy!

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

acjim: "What do the only carriers folk do if they're invited to a party / wedding / some function where it's likely the nipper will want to sleep at some point?"
    She would just sleep. She would often go to sleep either in the carrier or being held, then we'd plonk her on the nearest sofa or anywhere.

And if we didn't want to stay at a painful social do, it was always a good excuse to get out! ("Got this sleeping child in my arms here you see, must leave, bye.." 😀 )

She's slept on pub couches, other people's beds, Curry house chairs, Cafe sofas. It's all the same to a toddler.

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

"Probably the best idea for transporting tiny babies around"
    I agree, We had something similar. Mrs Mc even did breastfeeding whilst on the go during long walks. Kind of in-flight refuelling. These things are just so good.

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Two highly sensible, mature, (and boring) questions for the grown ups out there!’ is closed to new replies.