Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • Two highly sensible, mature, (and boring) questions for the grown ups out there!
  • DrP

Rather than glamorise these pertinent queries with catchy titles and separate threads, I thought I'd amalgamate them into a concise and dull titled envelope, in order to hopefully weed out the 'witty thrill seekers' out there!

So, (all very grown up now…):

1 – Is the Phil and Teds sport pushchair the best one out there for the money?? We've a little person arriving in Feb, and from no obvious source, my wife feels the P+T pushchair is the one to go for. It's about £300, so average price really, but as always I feel the need to consult the STW massive on all purchases over £50…

2 – With current technology advancing at a rate on knots, in this modern day and age, what is the best method for painting a wall? I've got a few buckets of Dulux Trade Diamond paint on the way, and in the past have used furry rollers, but was wondering if foam pads/foam rollers/other methods give better, streak and splatter free results?

There, that's it – awaiting responses!

Ta

DrP

oddjob
    Free Member

1. We have a McLaren push chair, a baby jogger and a bugaboo both of which are coming to the end of service for our second child. They are all good, but the bugaboo has been excellent. It was expensive, but has seen a lot of miles of walking all over the place through scandinavian winters, skiing holidays, lots of flights and still looks in great shape so I think I'll still be able to sell it for about £200 with all the bits and bobs we've bought along the way.
    I think it is important to have something that a newborn can lie down flat in/on rather than just a chair (this seems to be almost a legal requirement in Denmark) and they sleep really well in them. It is also good to push becuase it is manouverable, has good quality wheels and an adjustable handle. The baby jogger is no good until they are about 1 and the McLaren, about the same. I would recommend going to the shops and asking the assistants to give you a demo, we were really impressed with the people working in John Lewis who knew what they were talking about.

2. Buy cheap rollers from B&Q and chuck them away when you're done, don't waste hours washing them.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

1. Kids too old so cannot help with No1, technology moves on.

2. what is the wall like – plaster, papered, rough plaster? – We have rough plaster in our peasants cottage so I used a good quality fluffy roller and a very soft emulsion brush for edging up to door frames/windows etc. There is a spray system about but one of our clients makes paint and they tested it and it wasted lots of paint and never did "self clean".

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

1. Really depends on what you need from the 'chair. Compactness for fitting in a car? Manoeuvrability around town? Ability to roll well off-road? Flexibility to add another seat?

2. Good quality wooly roller + brush for corners. Pads are gash. After all – how many tradesmen do you see using rollers? How many use pads?

Markie
    Free Member

Agree with m_f reference thinking about what you need from a buggy.

We live in the countryside and use the buggy for trundling round on country lanes and footpaths. We opted for the Mountain Buggy Urban Elite. Mountain Buggy were bought by Phil and Teds earlier this year, so not sure what this will mean for availability, but it's fantastic! A word of warning though, it is big – which means it takes up a lot of space in the car and is a nightmare on public transport.

If we needed a buggy for town use, I think we'd go with a MacLaren. But don't know.

Oh, and roller, definitely. Choose the pile appropriate to the surface you'll be painting and you're set!

vinnyeh

1. We've got a Phil'n'Ted, only because we've got two children- if it's just for one, you can do a lot better(I think it's the best solution for two children, mainly because it's narrow).
    Previously we had a Mountain buggy Urban , which was the dogs bollocks and made the Phil/Ted look and feel 20 years outdated- it was a lot lighter, better constructed and a lot more capable off road, and after four years and a huge amount of abuse was still in very good condition. Unlike the phil/ted. It does take a fair bit of boot space though. You can get a carrycot for it which clips on, effectively turning it into a pram, and our children both slept in that in the cot until they were big enough for a cot.
    Having said that, if it was only going to be used round town, I'd get a maclaren something or other, which folds up a lot smaller and is a lot lighter and cheaper.
    Check out user reviews here.
    A lot of people seem to go through multiple strollers til they find one that works for them – friends of ours are on their third and the baby is only 9 months old.

2. Can't help I'm afraid- we just tend to use rollers or brushes.

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

1. This is not a witty answer, it is my thoughtful well meaning one. The best pushchair is the one that you can get second hand for less than £50. There are loads that are very much of a muchness. The world does not need more pushchairs and you really don't need to blow £300 on one. If you do then it's for your benefit, not the baby's. If you go along to an NCT sale there will be loads of middle class parents selling top of the range second hand stuff.

vinnyeh

Good point rightplacerighttime. Pushchairs are the thing that men seem to choose more than women, and for a lot of people there's definitely some snob value attached to what gets bought. Secondhand is good.
    I'm still recommending the mountain buggy though, and think all the bugaboo stuff is bought by effete poseurs.

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

My opinion.

My daughter is now nearly seven. She never had a pushchair or a pram. I am proud to say I have never had to push one of those huge monstrosities, or manoeuvre the stupid thing through a shop, into the car or onto a train – ever. It made life much simpler, travel far easier, and our house much bigger.

Get a good front pack, then a very good back pack, then they walk. The times they don't they are still small enough for shoulder rides, or they are using the scooter bike (which is your first priority when they reach 3!).

If you must get one, keep it simple, cheapo and secondhand. Those vast things with disk brakes and stuff paint you firmly into the 4WD Chelsea Tractor bracket. – But perhaps you'd be proud to be there, and I've just put my foot in it.

Paint? I leave painting to Mrs Mc and she uses brushes!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

it is big – which means it takes up a lot of space in the car and is a nightmare on public transport.

Agreed – we were gonna get one for our twins but it wouldn't fit in our medium-sized car (Mazda 3) by a country mile.

If you do then it's for your benefit, not the baby's.

there's definitely some snob value attached to what gets bought.

Get a grip – if the person can afford it then why not? I wouldn't want my children in a second-hand chair. After all, they will be in it for up to three years of their lives and I am able to afford something better so I would always buy the best I could afford. How many of you spend thousands on bikes when you *could* get second-hand bikes? After all, aren't there enough bikes already?

We got one of these – with sports seats, Isofix car seats and carry cots. Cost lots but it was a present. We can get it all into the boot of the above mentioned car…

oddjob
    Free Member

I disagree that Bugaboo is just for poseurs, we have had ours for 2 kids, used it and abused it, on trains, planes and in and out of the car all over the place. It's been skiing in Norway, US and France, dragged through the forests in Denmark in the summer and winter and along beaches in the rain.
    After 3 years of use the small front wheels needed to be replaces and the fabric has faded from the sun but apart from that it is in great condition.
    It packs down reasonably well for the car and to check in for flying and isn't too heavy.
    I am sure I can sell it for something like half what I paid for it meaning that in the end the total cost of owning it will be around £400 I guess. I know that is a lot, but when we bought it there were not really all that many option available to us in Denmark other than the enormous traditional prams that most people still use here and given the same situation again, i would buy another (brother and sister in law just bought one too).
    If I could have got one second hand, I may have but that wasn't possible 4 years ago.

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

And another good things about kiddie backpacks. The kids get to see much more, they talk constantly to their parent (very good for linguistic skills, sadly lacking in many cases today because many kids spend hours down at pavement level unable to communicate clearly). And they breathe less fumes if you are in town, and they don't get licked by dogs. Other people (general public) talk to them and communicate and smile much more because they are at eye level.

Having a child on your back is often an immediately welcoming thing, and you get treated much better in busy streets, people like to see it.

You can also go on proper walks, even moderately exposed climbing and stuff.

The child also learns that walking is normal, and you won't get stuck with a four year old still riding in a buggy. (Sad to see, but true in some cases)

I guess you can tell I don't like pushchairs 🙂

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I am sure I can sell it for something like half what I paid for it meaning that in the end the total cost of owning it will be around £400 I guess.

Good point and one we factored in to the one we got (which we would have bought ourselves if not offered as a present). It cost £1,100 including the Isofix car seats and bases and go for around £600 on Ebay without the car seats/bases (which never sell on Ebay due to safety concerns).

Fortunately a friend is expecting twins too so she will be given the car seats and bases.

Ohh, and we DO have Baby Bjorns too for walking/days out but (as you can imagine) not usable when out by myself/wife out by herself with the girls.

ski
    Free Member

1. Like many I guess, we spent a fortune on a M&P all in one pushchair and car seat system, only to use the pushchair part about a dozen times. A car seat that you can remove without waking your little one is a must though:-)

Only other tip, get something as simple as possible to fold up, so when the grandparents use it you don't get a frantic call on how to fold it back down to get it into the car 😉

When ours were old enough we went straight for the McLaren Buggy, got to be the best bit of kit I have ever bought for our little ones.

2. Cheap rollers all the way, but get a decent extending long pole that does not flex to do the ceilings and walls.

sv

1. We have a Bugaboo Gecko apparently we are very happy with it. Our pervious pram was a Jane three wheeler thingie and we were not so happy with that one and so had to purchase a new pram for the latest mini sv.

2. Walls I tend to use a roller, pads are great for floor varnishing.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

MountainCarrot – man after my own heart, absolutely spot on.
    We used a Karrimor front carrier then MacPac backpack, then they walked.
    Had a very cheap foldy thing just in case the grandparents took them anywhere.
    Ours were 18 months apart and with the hills around here a buggy was pointless anyway.

miketually
    Free Member

We got a McClaren second hand, from a local shop. It was virtually as new, because so many people just transport their kids by car in bucket seats and never actually walk anywhere. It's been used to the point of the tyres being worn flat now and has been great.

If you're even just reasonably tall, make sure you try out the pushchair. We had a cheap umbrella folder we used when going places on the train that was fine for my wife but awful for me to push.

vinnyeh

there's definitely some snob value attached to what gets bought.

m-f wrote:

Get a grip – if the person can afford it then why not?

Sorry, m-f there is. When we were first looking I ran across mumsnet, and the stroller discussions are populated mainly by middle class graphic designers discussing the relative merits of cnc'ed billet alloy and hydroformed tubing for the coffee cup holder on their pride and joy (and that's not the baby).

juan
    Free Member

Get a grip – if the person can afford it then why not?

GLOBAL WARMING.
    To be fair m_f you sound much more like a carrot chopper now you have had your baby, but I concur that is out of the point.

Ian can't comment on the pram but I agree on the "no pram" comment. Look in africa kids walk miles and miles and miles. As for the paint I am paint mum's house and use brush. It all has to do with how you prepare your brushes.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I just knew mastiles would be arguing on a thread entitled "boring questions for grown-ups". 😀

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

Sorry,

Shouldn't let myself get wound up – post deleted

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I have no doubt there are people that buy to impress, but why not? Honestly now – out of all of you touting second-hand buggies, how many of you buy second-hand bikes for your first *main* bike?

By the way – both my bikes are second-hand 🙂

BigDummy
    Free Member

I'm not at that stage yet, but tell me; are the buggies fun? 🙂

miketually
    Free Member

Honestly now – out of all of you touting second-hand buggies, how many of you buy second-hand bikes for your first *main* bike?

My main bike is new, but it's 5 years old. Our car is second hand, as are most of our kids' clothes.

vinnyeh

My house is secondhand, but I could have afforded a new one.

miketually
    Free Member

I'm not at that stage yet, but tell me; are the buggies fun?

The double seat 3 wheeler we had was quite good fun. hearing your kids giggle as you accelarate is fun, as are the whoops when you wheelie it off a drop.

I think I got my gnarr on with that pushchair more than I do on my bike.

(That was (at least) second hand too, and we passed it on to friends when ours grew out of it.)

miketually
    Free Member

My current house is fourth hand, I think. The one we're moving to tomorrow has had several owners.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Like it. 🙂

Olly
    Free Member

my parents made me walk.

i made the foolish mistake of walking quite quickly, so they grabbed it and dragged me around on my poor little leggys :'(
    i can remember the trauma now.

if i was paintg, i would try one of these:

http://www.paintrunner-uk.co.uk/

they looks ace (on the tv)

starseven
    Free Member

After three kids and too many houses to count my advice would be…

1. Get a pram with a removable cradle/car seat arrangement. When your kids can walk let them walk. Buggies are a bit of pointless life clutter.

2. Get a decent quality roller and natural bristle brush use them for a few years ruin your clothes/carpet/furniture. Then get someone who knows what he/shes doing to paint your walls and bring their own brushes.

oddjob
    Free Member

In Scandinavia the kids sleep outside for their naps for at least the first year so you need something flat for that.
    The backpack option is good, but they seem to flop about quite a bit and I don't want to carry them everywhere all the time, you have enough crap to carry with change bags etc without the kid as well!

pjd
    Free Member

horses for courses is it not?

looking at second hand mountain buggy, because of the reviews here previously and don't see the point of the spending shed loads on it.

But would prefer to use carriers where possible. I know she won't be as keen on the carriers and I would prefer to have the child in a buggy for running. hence looking at the 2nd had mountain buggy as a good option.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Which is an answer to another question.

I just find it interesting that there is an apparent reticence from some people to spend money on their children as 'second-hand is good enough' and it hugs trees and stops icecaps from melting and other poor excuses. But the same people often have to have the latest bike/bike bling.

looking at second hand mountain buggy, because of the reviews here previously and don't see the point of the spending shed loads on it.

Seriously – before buying one, DO check it will fit in your car if you need it to – they really are quite big!!!

rogerthecat
    Free Member

oddjob – The backpack option is good, but they seem to flop about quite a bit and I don't want to carry them everywhere all the time, you have enough crap to carry with change bags etc without the kid as well!

Not in a good one, you can get wings to support their heads when they are small or nod off. Nothing made me smile as much as listening to my 2 snoring in my ear on a long walk.

Re bags – how much stuff do you take? The MacPac had a large compartment under the sprog which took all of our (very basic) kit. Married to a Midwife so everything was function over form – saved a fortune by not buying aspirational rubbish – sorry MF but a quick trip down Ecclesall Rd in Sheff of a morning and it is all there plain to see, mums who do coffee and a gazillion pounds worth of kit most of which is just used to keep up with the solicitors next door!! The kids usually have a dummy inserted so as not to disturb the conversation.

Second hand is not a bad thing! Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

juan
    Free Member

But the same people often have to have the latest bike/bike bling.

You got to be kidding right.
    I can't even find spares for my rocky, because no one does seat in 26.8 or handlebars in 25.4…
    Plus raising a child is SO NOT buying new stuff…

Fop
    Free Member

Another vote for the Bugaboo Chameleon here. Daughter is 14 months and it has proved very valuable so far; pavements/tarmac, beach, local woods etc. We also bought a £70 Mamas & Papas stroller purely because of it's small size. It's just handy sometimes to have a small "grab 'n' go" buggy if we're dropping daughter off at in-laws etc.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Second hand is not a bad thing! Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

I agree, when applied sensibly. I see a pushchair as a major purchase that has to last years – and to have something new and warrantied is very important in my opinion. I fully intend on buying a compact buggy second-hand when we need one. We also have two swings (one second-hand from Ebay, the other a present). My mother in law has two swings at her house (both second-hand) Play mats are second-hand. Many other things second-hand. I just think that there is anything wrong in buying such a major purchase (especially when it is for your newborn and you are very proud of them) new. Especially when I am prepared to spend silly amount of £££££££s on bike stuff.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

But the same people often have to have the latest bike/bike bling.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

MF – sorry not intended as a poke at you directly.
    I just get a bit wound up I see some people spending a fortune on the baby gear but no time with them.
    You have twins so it's a whole different ball game, we had an 18 month gap so went from front carrier, to backpack to feet.

Lionheart
    Free Member

Not sure about these new fangled contraptions – but have a couple of observations, prams for babies good but when a little older too many modern push chairs hold the child in in a way that makes them slouch, ones that allow them to sit up, not leaning aginst the back must be a good idea.
    We live in the country side and ours were not in prams / push chairs for very long. Most valuable things we bought were a bike trailer – great for all of us, and a Berlin Flyer, actually the 'Berlin Sports Wagon', strangely this was used for carrying children an kit all over the place for years.
    Try reading The Continuum Concept (Arkana) (Paperback)by Jean Liedloff, slightly might make you re-consider aspects of the push chair and its use.

Good luck! Oh and rollers most of the time.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Two highly sensible, mature, (and boring) questions for the grown ups out there!’ is closed to new replies.