Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Tweed valley cycle route bridge – like a greasy weasel!!
  • eddiehonda
    Free Member

Pedalled from inners to glentress early last week using the new tweed valley path, bit cold so a little bit of frost on the ground but not icy.

Crossed over the new bridge, went to turn as I reached the end and lost the front wheel in a big way leaving me with a knackered shoulder, an early finish to my days riding and several weeks off the bike.

I normally consider myself a reasonably competent rider and can usually manage to blat my way around glentress and inners without doing myself in but I just didn’t see this coming, I know frosty wood is generally a bit slippy but the surface of this bridge and the way the trail immediately turns right is a dangerous combination IMO.

The bridge is a new facility and this is the first winter it’s been in use so, is it worth telling whoever is responsible for the trail about this accident with a view to preventing it happening to others or should I just put it down to my own incompetence?

Any idea who I would contact to voice my concerns?

ivnickkate
    Free Member

Hi, afaik it’s a sustrans path. http://www.sustrans.org.uk/scotland
    Possibly worth a shout to Scottish Borders Council as well.

matt_outandabout

Pop back and put up a warning sign mebbe? At least any maintenance peeps will see it as well.

maxtorque

Seriously?

Sorry you fell off, chalk it down to experience hey, and try not to do it again……. 😉

Our world is full enough of stupid warning signs that only apply occasionally!

eddiehonda
    Free Member

Seriously?

Sorry you fell off, chalk it down to experience hey, and try not to do it again…….

Our world is full enough of stupid warning signs that only apply occasionally!

🙂 Yeah I’m inclined to agree with you however I’m just thinking mine could possibly be the first of many accidents over the winter and maybe the surface needs some kind treatment to make it grippier for bikes. Tbh I’m bloody annoyed that I managed to break myself to such an extent on such an innocuous bit of trail.

Reckon I’ll pop an email off to sustrans, certainly cant do any harm.

Diane
    Free Member

I thought that wood was supposed to be grippy – is it cedar? Anyway, seems mostly OK especially now the initial coating has worn away. Always been fine on the MTB but never risk it on my roadie.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Tweed valley cycle route bridge – like a greasy weasel!!’ is closed to new replies.