• This topic has 44 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by tron.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • TV Researcher job… How much would you expect salary wise?
  • mboy
    Free Member

Just thinking about applying for that job on the Gadget Show, seeing as I’m pretty confident I know a lot more about all things technical than 99.99% of people out there (my GF and mates think I’m a geek, as I’m usually fixing something, or talking about technical things), and it’s only in Birmingham which is in easy commutable distance for me…

So would you expect “You do it for the love, not for the money” kind of salary, or “you get paid well considering it’s a one hour a week show” kind of money?

Just a thought of course, will probably send in my application anyway (nothing to lose!), just wondering whether or not it would meet my salary expectations really.

brakes
    Free Member

£20-23k

mikewsmith
    Free Member

does your gf mind the long hours you will be spending with Suzi?

nickjb
    Free Member

I’d expect very, very low pay. Its a way into the industry

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

You mean the van loading job?

crikey
    Free Member

Probably more than me.

mboy
    Free Member

does your gf mind the long hours you will be spending with Suzi?

GF’s mum looks like a slightly older version of Suzi anyway, so we know what’s likely to happen there… Don’t think the GF would be too unhappy anyway 😉

nickjb, that’s kinda what I expected. Cheers for confirming my suspicions.

amplebrew

If I was able to work with Suzi and Pollyanna, I’d do it for free!!!!! 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m pretty confident I know a lot more about all things technical than 99.99% of people out there

Yeah?

Shall we have a test? 🙂

scu98rkr
    Free Member

I know a lot more about all things technical than 99.99% of people out there

Pretty much everyone I know seems to think their some kind of computer genius/geek king.

Considering this job is do with 1. Gadgets and 2. The media I imagine it will be immensely popular.

As others have said pretty much every entry level job in the media is poorly poorly paid/not paid at all, because so many people want to do it.

MartynS

researcher about 12-14 grand movingf on up to assistant producer up to about 25k

Expect to work very long hours…

mboy
    Free Member

Shall we have a test?

If you like, I don’t pretend to know more than everyone, but I certainly know a lot more than most. More than I expect will be expected of a researcher for a TV show… Do your worst if you want to, it won’t make me feel any better or worse either way… Might be fun though!

Pretty much everyone I know seems to think their some kind of computer genius/geek king.

Fair enough… I didn’t say I am, or that I think I am. I know my limits, but I’m much more technically minded than most for sure. I’m sat here next to my mate’s Power Mac (hey, that’s an Apple machine, not your run of the mill windoze stuff! 😉 ) that I’ve just brought back to life after it died… I’m a qualified engineer, I have a Technology Degree, I build my own bikes etc etc… I also have a healthy interest in technology too. And before anybody says anything, yes there are of course guys out there like Trout who builds his own lights, I’m not of that calibre, but hey…

molgrips
    Free Member

Might be fun though!

🙂

So.. how many kinds of USB connector are they and what are they called?

brakes
    Free Member

what laptop am I using?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’m a qualified engineer, I have a Technology Degree, I build my own bikes etc etc.

You could probably do a lot better than TV dogsbody then

djglover
    Free Member

Mboy earlier

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVmmYMwFj1I[/video]

mboy
    Free Member

So.. how many kinds of USB connector are they and what are they called?

LOL, 6 according to Wikipedia… I could have named 4 straight off…

what laptop am I using?

That would require some kind of telepathy I’m afraid! No can do…

You could probably do a lot better than TV dogsbody then

Who says I don’t already… I started this thread to find out what a “TV researcher” usually gets paid, and I suppose some insight into the kind of work that it would entail.

djglover, just watched that video, made me laugh out loud! Pretty funny, and describes quite a few people I know from uni quite well… As anybody who knows me would attest to though, I’m pretty much the polar opposite of just about every aspect of it! Hey ho…

djglover
    Free Member

Fair play mate, its all in the way you sell yourself I guess

I’m pretty confident I know a lot more about all things technical than 99.99% of people out there

😆

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Eighteen and a half thousand pounds before tax.

Seriously, don’t be expecting much. That’s the kind of job bright eyed young things do when leaving Uni and looking for a job in’t Media. Darling.

My estate’s featured in that vid! Trust me; there is no-one like that round here. It’s too terrifying (and expensive, ironically) for them. They’d get smoked by crack heads. You get a few up round Mile End though, and the London Fields thing is bang on.

Ah too each their own. Just folk living their lives as they want to.

Some men dress up in skin-tight lycra and ride bicycles in the woods together… 😯

molgrips
    Free Member

I knew four off the top of my head but only the names of three.

Name the manufacturers making 4/3 format cameras?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Help! My dishwasher seems to be broken!

mboy
    Free Member

Kodak and Olympus according to Wiki again (cameras I don’t know a huge amount about to be fair, but I know a man who does!)

sharki
    Free Member

Mark.
    Go for it, you could always say no if they offer you the job at a shite rate.

BTW, whilst looking through the pics from the weekend on the pc(whilst sat in the bath)i knocked over my notebook/lappy thing and it landed on the SD card, bending it, when i pulled the card out, it bent and snapped some of the contacts. So now it won’t read my cards…lol

How can i fix this..OH and will the cad protection tab that fell inside the puter **** it up in any way.

Thanks 😀

tron
    Free Member

I would guess £15-18k. There are lots of grads about at the moment with nothing to do.

Drac

He’s right he knows more than 99.9% of us as long as he has Wiki to hand. 😯

molgrips
    Free Member

If you’re just gonna look up on wiki, it’s hardly cricket 🙂

I believe Panasonic also make 4/3 cameras.

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

They could offer these positions with no pay whatsoever and they’d still have a plethora of floppy fringed boys from Surbiton and Sloaney Ponies to choose from.

markgraylish
    Free Member

I believe Panasonic also make 4/3 cameras.

And Olympus…

(And that’s without looking ANYTHING up. Sh*t, I’m a photogeek…)

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

Panasonic, Olympus, Sony and Samsung I believe…certainly the first 3 of those.

woffle
    Free Member

pay? Two thirds of ****-all going on the experience of some my mates who went into runner / researcher jobs when they left university. Was considered the door into the industry so very competitive and barely what you’d call a living wage. I’m pretty sure they’d all do it again though if asked…

CaptJon
    Free Member

Lummox

I know a mates sister has worked as a runner/ researcher on Paul o Grady, chris moyles, Harry potter ( she even dated pothead, not sure if she saw his wand though) and several other shows. She started working for experience and now earns a wage – if you can call it that after commuting to London daily at 0600.

Think if I was a betting man itd probably pay buttons if anything.

Could be great fun though if you could ignore the annoying slap head and extreme (wuss) Otis

hels
    Free Member

Actually, to add my 2 cents worth, the job is for a Researcher, so knowing the subject is maybe less of an advantage than being able to research information well ? (as an Information Professional myself you understand). In fact knowing the subject you will bring to it your own prejudices which may in fact be worse.

And unlike a lot of graduates seem to believe, research involves more than looking it up on Wikipedia, or emailing your local library “I’m doing my thesis on gadgets please email me all your information in a nice 5000 word summary thanks, laters” so a few of you have failed that test already.

Go for it I say ! Sounds fun. But study up on studying…

CaptJon
    Free Member

hels – what is an information professional?

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

Knowing a few folk who have worked in TV, it’ll be very long hours for very little.
    Good, if you want to build a CV saying you have experience of being a researcher on the gadget show…er.. not sure that’ll do much for your cv though.

hora
    Free Member

If it was working alongside Connie Huq I’d do it for free (and her)

Drac

hels I’d say your mixing up it with an academic researcher. I would think a TV researcher will be hunting out to see what products are available, who makes them and what they are like. Not writing 5,000 word essays on them.

hels
    Free Member

CaptJon – tempting as it is to tell you to google it, I’m in a good mood this morning so see here for starters:

http://www.cilip.org.uk/Pages/default.aspx

I personally lean more to the IKM side, cos it pays better !

Drac – aye, unlikely to see any proper facts on a TV show, thats very cynical !

Drac

Where did I’d say there’d be no facts?

ourmaninthenorth

mboy on his first day at work in the media:

(It’s Nathan Barley for the know-nothings)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘TV Researcher job… How much would you expect salary wise?’ is closed to new replies.