Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • TV on the wall, advice needed on connections and cables..
  • tinsy
    Free Member

I am planning a nice big flat TV on the chimmney breast, I have chased out the wall and added a double power socket for behind the TV. So far so good.

The Sky box will be located next to the TV on a shelf in the alcove next to the chimmney breast, but what I cant find is a sccart socket for the wall, how do people connect them just with HDMI leads and the audio leads? Can you buy wall sockets for those?

Cant beleive I have to plaster a scart lead or other leads into the wall with the ends hanging out! 😉

uplink
    Free Member

Use phonos & a Scart to phono adapter for the TV

look here for a solution
    http://www.letsautomate.com/walloutlet.cfm

Dancake
    Free Member

NOOOO dont plug a scart into your lovely 1080p telly!

I have 2x HDmi. One from the PC and the other from the Sky HD box.

I guess you could use an HDMi switcher so there is only one cable going to the TV- especially if you have a blu ray as well. (I havnt- use the pC)

HDMi carries the audio, too

tinsy
    Free Member

Like the adaptor some games consoles have to connect the red and black leads into a scart? Sorry if I sounds backward, but its really not my forte!

tinsy
    Free Member

OK, if I use HDMI and that sounds like the way forward so far, are their HDMI wall plates and are they a bitch to wires the boit through the wall too?

I have no issure putting all manner of wall plates for connectors behind the thing, I just dont know whats
    A the best,
    B the most user freindly way to do it.

tragically1969
    Free Member

Dont use a wall plate, if you can run a couple of 30mm flexible smooth bore conduits up the wall, that way you can get a different cable up if you need to

wwaswas

not trying to wee on any fireworks but you have checked regs for that electrical socket haven't you? There's an awful lot of rules about how/where you can route cables under plaster these days plus you need a certificate if you're adding a new socket and you've said it's 'not your forte'…

tinsy
    Free Member

30mm is pretty big and I wont be able to get around the corner of the chimmney breast. So far I have drilled accross that corner diagonally trying to solve that problem but reckon opening that up to 30mm will be a chore (and might mess the 240 ive already run, currently its 12mm..

tragically1969
    Free Member

wwaswas

not quite correct, you can add a spur to an exisitng circuit

Q5 here:

http://www.theiet.org/publishing/wiring-regulations/part-p/

tinsy
    Free Member

dont worry about that wwaswas, thats one for me to worry about, the 240 twin socket is in, and powered up now.

Simple electrical work is one thing, the black art of what my TV needs and how to make it look neat is whats messing me up..

tragically1969
    Free Member

Even if you use a wall plate:

http://www.euronetwork.co.uk/acatalog/HDMI_wall_plate.html

You are going to need to get and HDMI cable up there, how you going to get that through a 12mm hole ?

bereavementmonkey
    Free Member

I agree with the conduit idea…. cables easy in and out then.

gotta be HDMI though for anything HD related.

wwaswas

"dont worry about that wwaswas"

I worry about everything 🙁

Particularly electricity after drilling through a cable some arsehole had decided to run diagonally across a wall….

cynic-al
    Free Member

Is it just me or is putting a huge telly above your fireplace a ay of dominating the room with it?

Just fitting mine low and in the alcove by mine, so it's less intrusive. Not wanting to p*ss on anyone's fire…

wwaswas

there was a tv fitter on here who said he spent half his life repositioning tv's from chimney breasts as people put them above the fire and then get neck ache trying to look up at the telly the whole time – they should be at eye level when you're sat in the chair, really.

tinsy
    Free Member

Its just the family room, not the front room, its a big area, the chimmney breast is the best place for it, yes it will be quite dominating, and maybe a bit high (ive thought of this) but should be OK, these TV's are very good for watching from quite a range of angles, IF i have it low like the CRT we have in there then it wont be visible from the dining area or the kitchen area.

The drilling accross the corner of the breast was on advice from an electrician pal as it saves chasing the wall out around the corner it get the cables from the side of the breast onto the front of the breast they are then in plastic conduit, no one said the cables run diagonally they only run either horizontal or verticle are per regulations.

I can chase it out around the corner if I have to, but I dont want to just plaster some leads into the wall and have them dangling! I would prefer to have a wall plate on the front of the breast to plug TV into and the same plates on the side of the breats to plug the sky box into. (the two plates obviously connected through the wall)

tragically1969
    Free Member

If you have drilled the corner you have done half the job anyway, just drill the corner with a 25mm core drill and put conduit in to your back boxes then pull the HDMI cables through connected to back boxes on either side

tinsy
    Free Member

Thanks tragic… will do..

EDIT.. Sorry I hadnt looked at the link for HDMI wall plates, That is perfect I can add 2 of those behind it and 2 on the side of the breast.. JOB DONE.

I have chased the power sperate to the TV stuff, so I can just up the size of the TV stuff.. 4 HDMI plates 2 cables in the wall to connect them.. Lovely neat job.

matthewjb
    Free Member

Getting a wall mount that can be angled downwards will probably help with viewing.

I got a Peerless one.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘TV on the wall, advice needed on connections and cables..’ is closed to new replies.