Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • TV Aerial question – how many cables can I run of one aerial?
  • Mintyjim

Currently I have a chimney mounted aerial and two TV co-axial cables running off it. I get a great signal.
    If I add two more cables to the aerial will the signal strength reduce?
    No more than 2 tv’s would ever be simultaneously!
    Thanks!

thegman67

We had one fitted last week znd where told u can only run to cables off one arial

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

The signal strength will obviously reduce for every cable added.

But with a distribution amp you could split it – preferably mounted at the aerial end.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Try it and see, if the picture quality drops get a booster box.

Mintyjim

Will the signal strength only reduce if the TV’s are on? Like I said, currently with two TV’s on the signal is fine. I can’t imagine adding a cable will reduce the signal if it’s not used?

Re. sucking and seeing would mean two trips by the engineer if the signal is shite, I don’t have roof ladders so I won’t be doing it myself.

Cougar

You could split it inside the house, is what they mean. No engineers necessary.

RustyMac

Depending on where the cable runs just now could you pull one of the cables into your loft (presuming you have one) and wire it into a splitter amp then run 3 cables from the amp 1 back to where the cable ran preiously and 2 to the 2 new TV points.

mos

As the signal is now digital, surely splitting it shouldn’t be as much of an issue? It’s either 1 or 0!

druidh
    Free Member

Unless it’s on a conveyor belt.

Mintyjim

aha, some great feedback there, many thanks!
    I’ll look at the loft option, makes sense to me.
    Cheers

oliverd1981
    Free Member

depending on you signal strength and the length/condition of you existing cabling you will need either a splitter or ha masthead amp/ power supply and a splitter. (so I’d try just the splitter first).

Note the masthead amp is just to overcome the losses in your distribution system, and is no substitute for a good aerial.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘TV Aerial question – how many cables can I run of one aerial?’ is closed to new replies.