• This topic has 17 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Sam.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Turning a 29er into a Monster Crosser
  • Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Hello,

After some advice on what would be need Turn a 29er into a Monster Crosser, I have a Swift at present and fancy the drop bar look!

I got a set of BB5's disc break in the shed as I got XT disk brakes on the present, Unless there is a gizmo for using road bike levers and hydralic disk brakes.

Also would I need to change my SLX/XT mechs for some roadie type stuff to use road shifters?

What kind of tyres could I run on the 29er rims or could I fit 700cc rims?

Any Help would be great!

Cheers Steve

BigDummy
    Free Member

This is really just a "bump" as I do not feel that this niche-tastic question has received the attention it shirley deserves.

I'm not however convinced that there is a standard definition of "monster cross", and therefore I suspect that what would be needed to turn a 29er into a Monster Crosser is whatever you are wishing to do. 🙂

clubber
    Free Member

I have a Swift at present and fancy the drop bar look!

How odd. Drop bars for a reason maybe but looks alone… anyway…

If you're going to use road brake/gear levers then you really have to use avid bb5 road discs (not the standard ones) to get the lever feel right. Shimano may well come out with something soon now that CX is allowing discs.

Mechs will be fine assuming you're going to use Shimano STIs

29er rims are 700c the only issue you might get is if you have really wide '29er' rims.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Sam

If you're going to use road brake/gear levers then you really have to use avid bb5 road discs (not the standard ones) to get the lever feel right.

You could use your mtn (assuming they are mtn) bb5's if you get v-pull brake levers like these or these. If you already have STI's you want to use then you can use a cable pull adapter somewhere in line. However if you go to that extent it's not too hard just to get some road pull calipers. Brake feel and performance will be much better as well. Some people claim to have used road pull levers with mountain calipers – I've never had any success with it.

29er rims are 700c the only issue you might get is if you have really wide '29er' rims.

Keep the monster in monstercross and you won't have any issues no matter your rim width. Equally, standard cross tyres will also be fine so long as rims are under 30mm wide.

Sorry Clubber – wasn't intending on shooting down everything you said!

clubber
    Free Member

LOL – No offense Sam. I know about the alternative brakes but on the basis that the OP's asking about gears the non-sti type ones weren't going to be any good and the cable pull adaptors aren't great IMO.

As for the tyres, I think we said the same thing, didn't we?

flatfish
    Free Member

try this link for a strangley attractive monster cross bike
    http://www.forestfreeride.blogspot.com/

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Ok Cheers, some food for though!

Il see what I can do, I might end up with some road kit to simplify stuff!

Cheers Steve

OCB
    Free Member

I use Cane Creek V aero levers on my drops with BB7's, and run full length Goodridge outer cables to stiffen the feel, and it works well. They natively pull enough cable. I run cross-top levers too, but that won't (or shouldn't) make a significant difference.

No STI options there of course, so I run bar-end shifters.

Some kinda remote reservoir lever arrangement for running hydraulics on drops would be great wouldn't it … but I can see it being a bit of an adventure to make / operate efficiently on the scale of bicycle brakes.

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

I could go proper mad and fit the hydralic levels at the bottom of the bars! or fit them very close inboard to the stem.

Would make a frankinstien bodge monster crosser!

Cheers Steve

firestarter
    Free Member

my old swift , using ultegra levers and bb7 road brakes. (the king of sweden on here runs some custom hydros on drob bars. had to sell and still miss it ;-(

my current one, tho its now running as ss

edit. infact here it is as it is now with normal sized tyres on

cynic-al
    Free Member

Skankin_giant – Member
    I could go proper mad and fit the hydralic levels at the bottom of the bars! or fit them very close inboard to the stem.

No you couldn't – different diameter.

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Could I not with Midge bars?

Or I could make some shims.

Cheers Steve

rOcKeTdOg

where is singlespeedstu and his gryphon when you need him?

aP
    Free Member

Shimano make road lever specific cable disc bakes. I've got some on my Portland but I'm not super impressed with them.

I remember years ago (well 1991/2) a mate of mine used to ride a very old Gary Fisher – probably mid 80s – with drop bars, 5 finger XT brake levers, XT thumbshifters and 2.5" Specialized Ground Control Extreme tyres all over Dartmoor.
    So you're basically recreating his old bike from the early 90s….

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Will see how it goes, Might need to wait to pay day!

Though Midge bars are half price atm

Cheers Steve

luked2
    Free Member

I went this way for a while, and it worked better than you might expect.

Make sure to get brake levers that match the size of your hands, as the Tektro ones seem to come in 'regular' and 'absurdly large' sizes.

But I've now gone back to regular bars, partly because it turns out that Dusk-to-Dawn prohibits drop bars.

singlespeedstu

Just for Rocketdog.

Now with a Salsa Woodchipper Bar. So much nicer that the Midge.

Sam

Shimano make road lever specific cable disc bakes. I've got some on my Portland but I'm not super impressed with them.

I've got some and thought they are pretty good so far, what are your concerns with them?

But I've now gone back to regular bars, partly because it turns out that Dusk-to-Dawn prohibits drop bars.

Seriously Luke? Narrow-minded asshats! Perhaps I'll send Steve along on drops this year to improve on his second place of last, rigid singlespeed is one thing, drop bars better again 😉

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Turning a 29er into a Monster Crosser’ is closed to new replies.