Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Turner flux – how would you build this up?
  • organic355
    Free Member

If you were gonna build up one of these:

what kit would you put on it?

100/120mm forks, full SRAM XX? what colour scheme? just keep it black accessories, or white forks, or maybe blue X.0? or just keep it simple?

Not that keen on the look of the build on the turner website, I am sure it rides amazing but too me its aesthetically lacking something, or maybe the red clashes, or too much black?:

sefton
    Free Member

I’d go 120 fork (maybe uturn to give the option of going 100mm) I wouldn’t go sram xx as it will never be a weight weenie.

it has a black shock so i would go black fork & rims too.

keep it simple 😉

rickon
    Free Member

What are you using the Flux for? As a general bike for everything, 120mm forks, 70mm stem ,wide’ish bars.

Depending on budget, either

– Shimano SLX group with brakes, 10sp 11-36t, triple
    – Shimao XT group with brakes, 10sp 11-36t, triple
    – SRAM X0 group, with XTR X985 brakes, 10sp 11-36t, triple

Simples 🙂

Blue shifters and mech would be too much IMO. Red would be pretty nice, or black, as accents.

White fork… maybe, if so then you’ll need white rims – or it will look a bit odd with black rims and white fork.

This is all aesthetics, and most of the STW massif will hate you for it, and tell you to just go ride…. which is very true to be honest.

There’s an MTBR thread about ‘show us your turner flux race build – this http://forums.mtbr.com/turner/lets-see-your-dw-flux-race-bike-589316.html

May be of use.

Cheers

Ricks

sefton
    Free Member

heres mine
    around 27lb

black fork

quite a bit lighter with the sid’s and normal post (probably around 25lb ish

organic355
    Free Member

Thats nice, really like the “look” of the blue frame for something different, but maybe the Raw of the black are safer options.

Although there is a new red one coming out:

sefton
    Free Member

merlin had a nice orange one in yesterday – looked great

sounds like your into the looks of your bikes – I’d suggest raw as you dont have to worry about scratches & chips 😉

organic355
    Free Member

sounds like your into the looks of your bikes

image is everything when you know nothing.

Don’t we all want the bike to look good though as well as performing well?

UK-FLATLANDER

Just built on with white DT Swiss XMM 120 forks and it look really good even if I do say so myself. 😀

sefton
    Free Member

I always go black – looks good and parts can be changed to other frames etc.

I will be tempted by a deal though 😆 (hence the silver forks)!

sam_underhill

I’d build it just like this………

oh. I did. 🙂

nick3216
    Free Member

120mm white fork. They suit Maguras. SRAM XO. Silver hubs, rims (optionally white) and finishing kit.

convert

My flux is a chameleon.

General trail – 700mm riser bar & 60mm stem, hope pro2/flow rim wheels with high roller/advantage tyres, ks dropper post.

Marathon/XC SDW in a day type setup – 620mm flat bar and 90mm stem with ergon grips and normal post with hope hope3/crest rims and light racy tyres.

10mins to switch between the two.

99% of the time use a SID fork shortened to 110mm which is great. I do switch to a pike u turn fork turned down to 120mm every now and again.

organic355
    Free Member

funny how many people are saying white rims, and my white rims on my CX build got a slating on here?

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/my-crosslight-build-update-pics

different strokes for different folks 🙂

honourablegeorge

White revelations spaced down to 130

Black Arch EX on Pro 2s

Easton odda and ends

Schwalbe Nic front/Ralph rear

XTR cranks & XT/SLX everything else

funkrodent

Sorry to butt in on your thread guys, but I’m on the cusp of either buying a flux or a 5.Spot and am torn between the two. In brief I’m 6’3″, weigh 16 stone (I know) and mainly like to throw my bike around on red/black run in places like Llandegla and Coed-y-Brenin, though I am also looking at doing longer distance rides in peaks and pennines. I’ve been riding a Cannondale hardtail. Totally sold on Turner frames, but don’t know whether greater travel/slacker angles of 5.Spot would be better for someone my size. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
    For what it’s worth, I’d stick to black on the build side, but ultimately its all a matter of personal taste. Cheers!

organic355
    Free Member

I have “been on the cusp” for a while now 🙂

I am no expert but to me it sounds like the 5-spot would suit you better, or maybe even a sultan?

this thread should help you decide:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/turner-flux-or-5-spot

sefton
    Free Member

how much slacker are the 5 spots though?

I would say a 5 spot would suit your needs better though.

there’s a few that ride 5spots around the pennines on here

convert

Also, forgot to say, when I fitted a works components 1deg angleset to mine it definately felt better in “general mode”. Not chalk and cheese, just a bit better for me.

funkrodent

Thanks guys. have looked at the Sultan, but am desperately trying to keep a lid on costs for the build and the thought of shelling out for new wheels/tyres etc gives me the willies. Concern is about the 5 being a bit cramped. Its Reach and effective TT are shorter than the Flux and way shorter than a “short” bike like the Transition Bandit (any thoughts on them by the way?) With the way my riding is going I can see that the temptation to throw whatever I get off ever larger drops will be very real, which I suppose discounts the Flux?
    5 Spot is 1.5 degree slacker head angle and 1 degree seat.

nuke

One thing I felt the Flux could do with, particularly if you doing smallish drops/jumps, is a Fox air spring volume tuning spacer…the Flux has a very plush ride but, I found, on certain descents it would to easily use up its travel. However if I increased the shock pressure, I’d lose the plushness of the ride. With this in mind, I reckon a tuning spacer that would cause the air pressure to ramp up in the final part of the travel would be an improvement. Shame I only realised you could get tuning kits after I had sold my
    Flux 🙁

funkrodent

Hi guys, struggling to see way forward in 5spot v flux conundrum without at least sitting on one, but can’t find anywhere with test bikes. So, any of you guys a) based in north or midlands, b) have a 2009/10/11/12 spot or flux and c) would be prepared for me to have a look and/or a quick spin (round carpark or somesuch). Really want to get a feel for position etc. In return happy to stand a round or three….let me know, cheers!

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Don’t get white rims – they look gash. Understated is the key to a nice looking build 🙂

funkrodent

Should add re my previous post, the size I would need to look at is XL. Cheers

sssimon
    Free Member

f120 15mm
    xt 10speed 1×10
    70mm stem, 711 bars
    crossmax st

all black

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Turner flux – how would you build this up?’ is closed to new replies.