Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Turner 5 spots HL vs DW link
  • JonR
    Free Member

Following on from a comment I just read on here by one of the forum’s leading lights about the difference between the 2010 and 2011 5 spots being “night and day” I started thinking about the differences between the older models and the new 5 spot. I used to own an Iron Horse Mk III which was a DW link and it was very nice to ride (until nicked. Grrrr) but the purchase of my 06ish 5 spot and the fitting of a coil shock and 5.75 push rockers has been a revelation for me, it’s simply the best bike I’ve ever ridden and I find it hard to believe that the DW link turners can be really that much better.

Are there any forumistas who have ridden both and what is their opinion? I know that as trends change with tapered head tubes and slacker angles for better descending become the norm Turner have gone along with that but doesn’t that just leave you feeling like Peter Fonda in easy rider with your wheel sticking too far out in front?

JonR
    Free Member

Well sod you all then

granny_ring

Bit grumpy aren’t we….. 🙂

Have you tried fitting a works component headset?

See how it feels with 1 degree less head angle, if you dont like sell it on for not much loss.

I haven’t fitted mine to my HL 5 spot yet but worth a go I think.

parisroubaix

I have a 2005 HL 5 spot (5.3 inches travel) and a flux dw frame on order- I’ll keep you posted!! Obviously not exactly the same bike but I’ll be able to feed back red pedalling performance etc

JonR
    Free Member

I feel that the HL has almost a perfect head angle the way I have it set up. I did have a 456 SS with the slacker head angle and hated it for anything that wasn’t downwards as the steering seemed wrong and teh front wheel was so far forward which is sort of why I asked the question. I also have a Flux TNT which is newly built so I’ve not really got a feel for it yet although it does feel long and low as an XC bike should. And yes I’m always grumpy.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Turner 5 spots HL vs DW link’ is closed to new replies.