Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Turner 5 Spot owners – Maintenance Q's ?
  • shredster
    Free Member

Hi,

Just settling in to my 2nd hand 5 spot & loving it. Cheers Dickie.

Anyway, whats the deal on greasing and zerts? Do I need to fork out for the Turner gun and grease or is there a suitable alternative for both gun and grease. Its the DW link version.

Cheers

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

You’ll find advice on the Turner website on the currently recommended grease, you want something quite thin and slick, I’m still using the Manitou Prep-M that was recommended when I bought mine but I believe they’ve changed to something else.
    On the Grease gun, no, you can use any normal bike one. Worst case is that you have to undo one end of the shock to get at one of the zerts if you don’t have the Turner one with the long nozzle, but you don’t need to do it often so that’s not a big deal.

nickb

I have a Turner grease gun from the days of my 5-Spot and Flux ownership – now sadly passed (due to lack of time and living int he south east…). If I recall correctly it still has a tube of grease in it, hardly used!

£20 posted and it can be yours??

Let me know,
    Cheers,
    Nick

organic355
    Free Member

I may be interested int he grease gun
    is it this one with the bent nozzle?

nickb

Yep – bent nozzle version just like that.

Lets see if shredster wants it first (as it’s his thread!), but if not then you’re welcome!

Nick

boxfish
    Free Member

5-spot owner here. I have that very grease gun but I’m not convinced it’s very effective. The grease just seems to splurge out all over the zerk, rather then into it.

razorrazoo

Worth cleaning the Zerts and checking they are not clogged up with a pin or small nail otherwise the grease sometimes does not go in properly.

Also worth passing by the mtbr.com turner forum as they are a good source of knowledge. You get responses from Dave Turner himself on there.

I’ll take 3rd place in the grease gun queue by the way.

shredster
    Free Member

@nickb – I’ll take the gun thanks. Mailed u.

Cheers for the l knowledge folks.

snaps
    Free Member

My solution to the difficult to get at behind the shock Zerk – stainless steel 90 degree adapters

sig123
    Free Member

snaps, thats ace where do you get them from?

granny_ring

THIS might be of use for your version?

rickon
    Free Member

Stu made me one of his little zerk replacements, and my god they’re awesome. The turner supplied ones just don’t work. I’ve got two decent grease guns, and mprep grease and it just won’t find its way through the zerks.

Stu’s creation is just a dream, the grease pumps through easy.

All my random creaks and clicks are gone now. I need to donate some money as he didn’t want any.

In all through, OP, Turners are really simple to work on, replacing the pivots is a doddle.

dickie
    Free Member

I always use one of these with m prep

Never had any issues.
    I just give the zerk a little blast with GT85 first to shift any dirt then pump in the grease.
    Generally it doesn’t require hardly any & needs doing very infrequently.

snaps
    Free Member

I found that I had to strip the pivots down & clean off the grease used to assemble them to make the grease from the gun flow through the Zerks better.

snaps, thats ace where do you get them from?

One of our European bearing suppliers, they were about €9 – email in profile if you want more detail.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

No problem getting grease through the zerks here. If you have one that will not accept grease push the little ball bearing down in the centre with a pick tool or simmilar to un seat the ball.

At the end of the year I usually strip them all down and clean and re-lube everything. This way you can keep an eye on the codition of the bushes pivots etc. They are really easy to dissamble you only need 3 allen keys and a couple of torx bits. Takes a few hours to strip clean and re-assemble all the pivots.

The rocker tip pivots seem to wear a bit faster than the main pivots (there smaller) so its worth stripping those more often and cleaning the inside of the rocker clevis and the sides of the nylon bushes, as dirt inbetween can wear the rockers.

Parts are usually available from Silverfish, Turner in USA and sometimes Chainreaction.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Turner 5 Spot owners – Maintenance Q's ?’ is closed to new replies.