• This topic has 17 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by teef.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Turkeytrackworld
  • northernremedy

Sorry!!!!!

Collected our boned and rolled turkey, but it’s a first for me as usually done crown or whole.

Google says 15-18 minutes per 450g plus about 20 minutes, and some also say cover with foil for all but last 20-30 mins. Some also say water in the bottom of the roasting tin.

Anyone any experience or tips?

My family thanks you in advance!

wrightyson
    Free Member

Seriously limit dinner options on Christmas eve, send them to bed hungry. That way the old scabby horse would get eaten. No help I know.

rmacattack
    Free Member

our turkey is just luck every year. no checks on times no basting or nothing. if it turns out well all’s good. its all ive known from the 20 years or so i can remember of mums cooking

slowoldman

I’m trying boned rolled duck this year – starting with doing the boning myself. Hopefully it will done by new year.

wiggles
    Free Member

starting with doing the boning myself. Hopefully it will done by new year.

😯

My mum is doing turkey this year despite every single other person going to dinner saying we all would prefer something else…

anagallis_arvensis

How to cook the perfect turkey. Slaver in butter, tyme, lemon. Onion and garlick in tray. Cover with foil. Chuck in oven go for a bike ride for an hour or two. Bast, turn upside down. Cook some more. Take foil off and cook a bit more. Rest. Eat

slowoldman

I once tried out a roast turkey method I saw John Tovey present on the Russell Harty Christmas show. Yes I AM that old.

Basically smother in butter as above (actually a whole 8oz pack) then wrap in muslin. The butter is picked up in the pan by the muslin and “recirculated” continuously basting the bird. The skin is fabulous done this way and the turkey very moist, though you do end up with lots of butter and turkey fat to dispose of when making the gravy.

The big question though is stuffing. In the bird or cooked separately?

Rockape63
    Free Member

Yeah stuffing in the neck cavity only is good, nothing in the main cavity. I start the turkey upside down and turn half way. Also let it rest for over an hour. Gives you time to use the oven for everything else then.

dirkpitt74

I usually cook the turkey the night before.
    Generally follow the instructions on the pack and then leave it in if it needs it.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Liquid in the tin and foil, prevents drying out. Would normally go for white or rose wine with turkey, get garlic, onions and herbs in there as a base too.

mogrim

Use a meat thermometer, stick it in the thigh of the bird (avoid the bone) and check the temperature’s reached 180F. If it’s the breast or stuffing aim for 165F.

Anyway I’m going to spatchcock it and do it on the BBQ.

northernremedy

Always feels a bit wrong stuffing it. Elbow deep.

fossy

Turkey and beef this year. Our chef nephew is cooking for 12 of us.

Scamper
    Free Member

Isn’t the case with top end turkeys you don’t need butter as they have more natural fat under the skin?

wiggles
    Free Member

Isn’t the case with top end turkeys you don’t need butter as they have more natural fat under the skin?

We talking XT or XTR level turkeys?

jonnyboi

Buy a whole turkey, crown it yourself. Bone and stuff the legs for new year roasts

TiRed

Lamb. Just saying.

teef
    Free Member

Forget turkey – I’m having some food I like:

Starter: Smoked Salmon
    Main: Steak & Chips
    Pud: Chocolate cake & Icecream

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Turkeytrackworld’ is closed to new replies.