Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Turbo trainer – which option?
  • daveb
    Free Member

I am thinking about buying a turbo trainer and have whittled it down to two options

The Cycleops fluid 2 at £171
    Fluid 2
    or the
    Cycleops Magneto at £132
    Magneto

Also wondering if the training mat is worth buying?

Anyone had these and got an opinion on which is best?

Thanks

alwyn
    Free Member

I have a Gist from CRC, it's better then the cycleops I had before and cheaper. It depends whether you like mag or fluid really, mag seemed to be slightly louder.

I'd get a training mat and a from wheel stop. You do tend to travel without one and get a lot of sweat on the floor.

terrahawk
    Free Member

Just get a basic one. Mine's quite old and has a fan on it that makes it harder to pedal the harder I pedal. Great for intervals.
    To alter the resistance, I change gear.
    A friend gave it to me.

You might want to get a towel to catch your sweat if you don't want to have to mop up a puddle every time you finish using it.

I just did a google images search on 'turbo trainer' and this appeared

mine's a bit more basic that that.

terrahawk
    Free Member
    stumpy01

I got a Tacx one from CRC with 10 resistance levels for £125. I don't know how it compares to others, as it's the first one I've used. But it seems pretty good & gets good reviews.
    Not that this helps you decide on choosing between the two above!

I use a couple of phone books to prop the front wheel up & I keep meaning to get some kind of towel thing to stop me dripping all over the bike. Might make one myself from an old towel.

PS – if you do end up getting the Tacx one, make sure you read ALL the instruction first & use the correct adaptor for the flywheel assembly. I didn't and then had to take it all apart & start again!!

daveb
    Free Member

I am kind of liking this option

🙂

Not sure how I will fit it into my living room though???

hughjengin
    Free Member

Tacx Flow, Job done

andyfla
    Free Member

Tacx Fortius, bloody expensive but you will actually use it as opposed to letting it fester in the garage.

Did 3 hours on mine climbing mountains the other week, well it was raining outside ……

Handsomedog
    Free Member

Get a pedestal fan to stop you sweating so much. My local Wilkinsons is selling them at 12 quid at the moment.

daveb
    Free Member

Fortius = £595 or thereabouts 😆 from £132 I dont think so

The Flow looks pretty good but again I think a bit more than I want to spend.

Thanks

Marge
    Free Member

I've got a Tacx Satori and very happy with it.
    Stable, strong & reliable (it took quite a hammering over the winter as I was too much of a pussy to venture out into the dark wet nights).
    Little noisier than I would like (have to turn TV up louder) but for the price it's better than any of the others I checked out.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Turbo trainer – which option?’ is closed to new replies.