Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Turbo trainer virgin
  • mikey74
    Free Member

So any recommendations (makes, models etc), other than “get out and ride”. I live in a ground floor flat, so sound not too much of problem, but I would prefer a quiet one if possible.

Also, are they OK to use with carbon road bikes? I’ve heard the lateral movement can be an issue sometimes.

mikey74
    Free Member

Bump!!

heavy_rat
    Free Member

I bought a Tacx T-1820 from Merlin for about 80 quid. Its not the quietest but its not the loudest either. Its perfect for me and my 1 hour sesssions each week.

The carbon lateral movement is a load of rubbish I think so ignore that.

Blackhound

I have a Tacx ‘fluid’ trainer that is 14 years old so not up to date on current models. Works fine, been on it this morning. Probably a bit of ‘you get what you pay for’

Don’t see why a carbon bike on a turbo would be a problem though I use a 20 year old steel mtb. Maybe make sure you use an old qr. Mine is held in place by metal so I use an old round style qr on the turbo.

Some session advice here:

Endura

Big-M
    Free Member

Just a personal thing but I wouldn’t strap my carbon road bike onto a turbo trainer.
    Then again I lent my turbo trainer to my neighbour a few years back and I haven’t missed it.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I have a minoura B60 and its pretty good, Simple and does the job. I have used a posh bike in it no problems also.

There’s a few accessories that are worth getting,:

– Something to stop sweat hitting the bike, (more of a problem than flex in my opinion)
    – Front wheel stand – Not essential but helps.
    – something to do whilst on it, (sufferfest-dvd player etc)

MrSynthpop
    Free Member

I’ve got a BKOOL unit – have had it about a year and i’m pretty impressed, its quiet and the stats/data services are good given the low relative price to a Tacx or equivalent VR system. Software was sketchy out of the box but its been updated a lot and is all a bit slicker now.

Using an old bike and biggest issue has been sweat on the bike which is easily taken care of.

mikey74
    Free Member

Thanks for the input. The Taxc Blue Motion seems decent value.

I might have a look and see if I can pick up a cheap roadie to strap in, although I don’t have much space so storing another bike might be tricky.

mikey74
    Free Member

Come to think of it, I do have an old aluminium Trek in my garage I could convert. I might need a few parts but nothing major.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Turbo trainer virgin’ is closed to new replies.