Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Turbo trainer time
  • lunge

I’m thinking of buying a turbo for the winter months and have seen one at Halfords that goes down to £99 tomorrow which seems like a bit of a bargain:
    http://www.halfords.com/cycling/accessories/turbo-trainers/elite-magnetic-force-trainer-pack
    I just wondered if anyone had used this specific model and/or whether it was any good.

mogrim

I’ve got one of those (although I’ve had it at least 5 years, might be a slightly different model). Works fine, not massively noisy (but you do need to turn the volume up on the tv), only major fault is that you can’t stand up – you need your weight on the back wheel for the resistance. Other turbos have a screw to fix the bike in place and don’t have this problem.

That said, I’m quite happy with it. For a quick hour’s workout with a Sufferfest video it’s fine. But if I were to get another one I think a spinning bike would be a lot better – quieter, tougher, and you can of course stand up.

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

If you are member of British cycling club you get 10% discount too!

lunge

Thanks for the thoughts, for £99 I’m thinking it might be worth a punt.

weeksy

watching thread with interest as to what progresses.

phiiiiil

We’ve had one of those for a few months; it wasn’t for me to use so I haven’t tried it much, but it definitely screws onto the rear axle so I see no reason why you couldn’t stand up.

mogrim

We’ve had one of those for a few months; it wasn’t for me to use so I haven’t tried it much, but it definitely screws onto the rear axle so I see no reason why you couldn’t stand up.

Rear axle, yes – but it’s your weight that holds the bike to the roller. You won’t fall off, but you find that resistance varies massively as you move your body forwards / backwards.

Still, for that money go for it. It’ll be covered in dust in a month, anyway 😀

speedstar

Have the same one and I can vouch through many sufferfest sessions that standing up doesn’t change a thing. Mogrim I feel your starting tension is wrong? I can get to well over 400 watts on it but def not sitting down!

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

I bought it today, seems good, I could stand up too.

mogrim

Mogrim I feel your starting tension is wrong? I can get to well over 400 watts on it but def not sitting down!

Like I said, I’m not sure if it’s the same model. In which case, I take back all my criticism re. standing up. (Although as I pointed out, even my model is perfectly adequate for a decent workout…)

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Have the same one and the roller is sprung loaded onto the wheel.

It is possible to set the roller in the wrong position as there is one position for 26″ wheels and another for 700 etc.

No problems standing up on mine but it does feel odd not being able to move the bike side to side whilst I pedal as I normally would.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Yeah, its an Elite Volare(?) surely? In which case the roller is sprung loaded against the wheel – so of course you can stand up!!

With a compact gear set up (or mountain bike gears) then even on the highest resistance setting and in top gear you can pedal at a pretty pretty high cadence. Its hard work to keep it up though, so you can still get a decent work out.

I bought a Tacx Blue Motion after this, and by contrast, on the highest settings its almost impossible to pedal.

If its your first turbo then the Halfords one will do a good turn!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Turbo trainer time’ is closed to new replies.