Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Turbo trainer & power tap
  • Tony.w
    Free Member

Hello all just wanted to run this by a few folk who have expierienced this. I am upgrading my Turbo Trainer as I want to record my power output useing a Cyclops Powertap & my old trainer is well used. Anyone know the best combination, I intend to use my garmin to record HR, Cadence & power.
    Thanks

mrblobby
    Free Member

This being STW you’ll probably told that you really should be getting some rollers 🙂

Just get a turbo that looks like it’s got a decent stable base. The old tacx ones were good. A wide range of variable resistance can be useful depending on what sort of workouts you want to do. Also one that’s easy to get the bike in and out of can be useful if you need to swap bikes. Oh and get a turbo specific tyre.

Well worth looking at trainerroad.com too if you have that setup.

Edit: this buyers guide on road.cc might help. A lot of people seem to rate the Kurt Kinetic ones.

TiRed

Not sure why you need to upgrade the turbo for Powertap, unless you are concerned about wheel bearing loading. I have a Tacx Sartori which is magnetic, basic but well made. Useful adjustment of friction on the tyre. I measure power from a Stages Power Crank on my road bike and a PowerCal for my son’s (Heart rate based). For constant efforts such as the Turbo, either seem fine. Garmin 500 records the data.

Tony.w
    Free Member

Thanks for the guide mrbloddy will take a look, TiRed I want to use a poertap hub in a bid to increase my output & the reason for replacing the TT is its realy old so is the bike that sits on it and a lot of the functions no longer work. Its a old cateye in its day it was very good in fact still a good starter but I have had the oppertunity of a younger bike and now want a decent setup (i deserve it :wink:) the beauty of the Powertap hub is I can also use it on the road best of both worlds 🙂

mrblobby
    Free Member

Must admit I don’t use the powertap much on the road. It’s got a turbo specific tyre on the wheel that I can’t be bothered to change, and I prefer my fancier wheelset 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Turbo trainer & power tap’ is closed to new replies.