Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Turbo trainer accoutrements – do these exist…?
  • munkster
    Free Member

Getting a turbo trainer tomorrow (courier permitting) and am well aware (having borrowed one before and having read people’s opinions) that they can be boring…

Is there such a thing as an attachment for, say, the bars or top tube, that will let you plonk a laptop in front of you to keep the boredom at bay? Or maybe even at e…bay? See what I did there?

TIA as always, cheers.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

I never get bored – training DVD’s is what you need!

Also you’re not going fast enough if you get bored 😉

iDave
    Free Member

do you have a waterproof laptop?

munkster
    Free Member

do you have a waterproof laptop?

Do I need one? This is getting expensive now!

iDave
    Free Member

well, it’s just that turbo sessions usually result in a large puddle of sweat on the floor

munkster
    Free Member

Well, if the laptop is on the bars it’ll hopefully be far enough away from my bonce to catch any torrents of sweat… Just wondered anyway, if such a thing doesn’t exist it really doesn’t matter – I’ll just play xbox while pedalling maybe 🙂

mogrim

You wouldn’t want a laptop on the top tube for the reasons mentioned above. And if you’re doing it right you won’t be in any shape for moving the mouse.

DVDs / iPlayer etc. is the way to go, or proper workout music and suffer.

breakneckspeed
    Free Member

oh so much to learn

trail_rat
    Free Member

they have been availible for years ….. under the other name of a “table” might not be on the bars but close enough !

seriously do you need the laptop under your nose ….

what you want is sufferfests downward spiral or heaven knows im misrable now

hell i look forward to winter purely for sufferfesting 😀

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Ipod or mp3 player of your choice with a long list of your favourite tracks is all you need.

If you can operate a lap top whilst turbo training, you are doing it wrong.

munkster
    Free Member

You all want me to suffer, then, I think that’s the gist of it 🙂

I’ll make do with the telly or music then and see how it goes, thanks everyone!

molgrips
    Free Member

They make a device for holding a laptop or other device at the correct level.. called something like “a table”.

redthunder
    Free Member

Make your video for the DVD.

I made a flimed 30 minute video of my local off road training loop and play that in front of the spinner.

Wind up the resistance when I know a hill is coming.

You can have a copy if you like.

munkster
    Free Member

You can have a copy if you like.

Cool, how big’s the file? Is it emailable?

redthunder
    Free Member

Let me find and I’ll try to upload rapidshare. I think it’s around the 700meg mark.

aracer
    Free Member

Well, if the laptop is on the bars it’ll hopefully be far enough away from my bonce to catch any torrents of sweat…

If you can reach the laptop to operate it it will get wet!

Alternatives to watching TV/DVD (it doesn’t have to be a training video – provided you can keep the effort level up, something more normal might be better) are a music stand and a book/magazine. That or you may find music enough – I tend to just listen to music or sometimes plays on R6 when on the paddling machine (which is even more boring than the turbo, where you can at least change position / change gear). Mind you I have a VR turbo, which is far better for motiviation – I’ve managed up to 2 hours on this.

samuri
    Free Member

Park the bike in front of a wall but, and here’s the clever bit, give it a lick of paint before you start and watch it dry. It’ll be 170% more interesting than riding a turbo.

beamers

What you need is this piece of cutting edge tech:

Put it in front of your bike, laptop on top, job done.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

TV and DVD 🙂 I find episodes of 24 good for a 40 min sesh and for longer a Rocky film works very well. If you can stomach it spinervals are quite good too.

gravitysucks
    Free Member

Headphones on. Pedal. Hard.

tobyho
    Free Member

I like the look of the videos at http://www.thesufferfest.com/

But my road bike has a triple gear set thingy (I know.. but it’s what the LBS sold me 2 years ago). On the turbo I cant really get out of the saddle; well I can but the gears are too low for it too feel hard enough; I end up just sitting down and cycling in the highest gear.

Therefore I have been using the turbo to concentrate on increasing my spinning cadence but do I really need to ‘climb’ out of the saddle to appreciate these videos ?

molgrips
    Free Member

On the turbo I cant really get out of the saddle; well I can but the gears are too low for it too feel hard enough; I end up just sitting down and cycling in the highest gear.

Can you not increase the resistance? Max resistance and top gear on my triple equipped bike is practically solid.

Oh and if you want to move around on your bike try rollers. Make sure you video it though for our amusement 🙂

djflexure

I use the Sufferfest films on my iphone which gets over needing a labtop in the garage. Guess most training dvds would go on the phone – if you’ve got one.

greenboy
    Free Member

Try this site:

http://www.turbotraining.co.uk/

great site when you are on the web evens finds the music to play when you are turbo’ing!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Turbo trainer accoutrements – do these exist…?’ is closed to new replies.