Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • ****!! Turbo has just gone.
  • loddrik
    Free Member

2005 Touran TDi sport, 107k, never really missed a beat but turbo has been noisy for a couple of months. Accelerated earlier and sudden loss of power accompanied by loads of black smoke from exhaust and under bonnet and a rattling sound whete there should be a whistle. The last thing I need financially at the minute.

Was planning to hit Cut Gate tomorrow too before rain arrives… 🙁

2 questions.

What sort of money to replace (new or reconditioned)?

Can it still be driven short distances with no additional harm being caused?

eugeo81
    Free Member

Whatever you do don’t drive it, Oil seals may have gone and will be firing oil into the throttle body of your engine and intercooler if so.

Id say 200-300 pounds for a recon’d turbo without labour, your intercooler/ throttle body may need a good clean out too.

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

Do not start the engine again. You run the risk of getting a runaway diesel, which will seize your engine and cost a hell of a lot more.

I talk from experience on my old 530d.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

£1200

parkesie
    Free Member

Doing it yourself 500 give or take for recon turbo new oil and filter etc. I wouldn’t be surprised at a 1k bill for garage to do the work.

benjamins11
    Free Member

Its probably the same engine as my A3 – 2.0 tdi BKD engine. The turbo is a well known weak point on this engine.

The turbo went on mine a couple of weeks ago – I have just replaced it on the driveway. New recon turbo cost £330 from ‘the turbo guy’ up in Glasgow (google them) and you need to replace the oil feed pipe plus manifold gasket. New oil and filter is needed too – about £80 – so all in about £420.

It was a bit fiddly but not an enormously tricky job, depends how mechanically minded you are.

Theres a link to a how to guide below

Linky

loddrik
    Free Member

Just got a quote which I’m unfortunately going to have to go with.

£750 all in!!! 🙁

I was already bloody skint!!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘****!! Turbo has just gone.’ is closed to new replies.