Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Turbo Data
  • wilburt
    Free Member

I want to get a turbo set up with some data but without the expense of a power meter, so I’m looking to add speed /cadence and heart rate sensors, does anyone have experience of Wahoo products or the software like trainer road?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Used the garmin ant stuff with the ant USB stick and trainer Road really well.

Kryton57
    mrblobby
    Free Member

The Bluetooth LE stuff is meant to be good but you’ll need a computer with Bluetooth 4.0 or it won’t work (newer Macs are ok, and you can get a dongle for some versions of windows.) If you do get the wahoo ones that do Bluetooth then you can easily run trainerroad on an iOS device too.

If you really want to get into the data then you can export your workout as TCX files from TrainerRoad and load them up into software like TrainingPeaks or golden cheetah and do loads more analysis there.

FWIW I’ve been using the Garmin speed and cadence sensor with a garmin HRM, a garmin ant+ USB stick and TrainerRoad for a few years now. Really good experience (I do have a power meter though.) Everything then goes into TrainingPeaks for analysis.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Trainerroad is really good for indoor sessions when used along with Ant+ dongle and speed/cadence sensor.

Its probably gives enough analysis if you just want to get power for indoor sessions only.

As mentioned by the other posters, I’ve just learned you need Training Peaks or one of the others to analyse power data especially from power meters.

sparkyspice
    Free Member

I bought Wahoo (cadence/speed and heart rate) and it’s been fine. The App works well and can be downloaded to Strava.
    There’s a “indoor cycling” option in the App to cater for turbo sessions. It works well and I’m happy with it.

ultimateweevil
    Free Member

I started using trainerroad with an ant+ sensor and my hr monitor from my Garmin about 2-3 weeks ago now and it’s pretty good so far in terms of the analysis you get out of the software. I think with the speed/cadence sensor you’d get a lot more info and it’d allow you to train a bit smarter than with just the hr monitor.

I do know some of the fancier turbos can be paired with traineroad so if you’ve not bought your set up yet it might be something to consider as well as the program auto adjusts the turbo etc so might be more what you’re after.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

I use Trainerroad with a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine and Garmin Ant+ for HR, cadence and power. Works really well. I’ve never bothered testing how accurate the virtual power is compared to my power meter but I’ve seen people claiming its pretty good for certain turbos like the KK or Cyclops Jet fluid.

jam-bo

I’ve got the KK Road Machine and just bought the inride power sensor as well as a couple of people use it.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Turbo Data’ is closed to new replies.