Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Tunes initially you thought were awful, but now realise are things of genuis
  • RustySpanner

bob_summers – Member
    Personally, I’ve never liked the music, but have ABBA ever released a bad song?

Chiquitita?
    It’s a pretty awful tune.

This is absolute, utter genius though.
    [video]https://youtu.be/cvChjHcABPA[/video]

DezB
    Free Member

Venetian Snares always made me uneasy when I heard his stuff when I was out.

Anyone who wants to know where to start with him, try My Love Is a Bulldozer. That’s genuis 🙂

edlong
    Free Member

Any of about a dozen classic from Simon & Garfunkel. I grew up liking guitars loud and vocals shouty, so melodic singing over acoustic guitars was for old people as far as I was concerned.

Similar thinking for some of the better Beach Boys stuff e.g. Heroes and Villains – I couldn’t hear past the close harmonies.

lukeekulluke
    Free Member

Totally with you on the venetian snares, can be a bit inaccessible at first. I loved his classical mashup bits on Rossz Csillag Alatt Született

Dickyboy

Kevin Coyne – bought a copy of Marjory Razorblade bitd and wondered wtf I had bought but got into it after a few spins & still love it to this day

isto
    Free Member

Has this turned into a Fugazi appreciation thread? If so count me in.

isto
    Free Member

Keeping the theme with Fugazi and the thread title. A tune I didn’t appreciate as genius until recently (although I never thought was awful) is Minor Threat – Cashing in. The singer of Fugazi’s previous band and what I now think is there best song:

[video]https://youtu.be/nEnttmGjff8[/video]

slowoldman

Nothing specific but growing up it was either prog rock or Motown. I was firmly in the prog rock camp and it took many years for me to appreciate to delights of Motown. Even more to dare to listen to C&W.

DezB
    Free Member

Has this turned into a Fugazi appreciation thread?

I seen em live me. The snare drum made my ears bleed. 🙂

isto
    Free Member

I seen em live me. The snare drum made my ears bleed.

Sounds like s good gig then.

fatbobb
    Free Member

Continuing the ‘I love Fugazi’ thread, I used to think they were OK until one day I put on 13 songs after probably a decade of absence and it blew me away. Total, total genius. Pretty much the same thing happened with Tool’s Opiate. Still don’t get the 10,000 days album, though. Neil Young – hated everything about him until one day Harvest just blew me away. I’d already seen him with Crazy Horse by then and thought it was old twaddle so wandered off… I think to see Prodigy.

fatbobb
    Free Member

Oh, and the Flaming Lips. Never quite got Priest Driven Ambulance after someone gave it to me, but then saw them supporting the Chili Peppers at Brixton and they just rocked. So loud that most people left the hall when bits of plaster started to fall off of the ceiling. Must have been about 10 of us left by the third song. Followed them devotedly until the Mystics album by which point I just got bored with it all. Chili Peppers we dreadful, btw.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Similar thinking for some of the better Beach Boys stuff e.g. Heroes and Villains – I couldn’t hear past the close harmonies.

Nah, still don’t get them.

Northwind

fatbobb – Member

Oh, and the Flaming Lips. Never quite got Priest Driven Ambulance after someone gave it to me, but then saw them supporting the Chili Peppers at Brixton and they just rocked.

I remember hearing She Don’t Use Jelly when it came out and thinking, this is absolute shit. But then roll on a few years, not even sure why I gave them a second chance but saw them play in Edinburgh and it was one of the best gigs I’ve ever seen, absolute distilled joy…

She Don’t Use Jelly is still absolute shit though.

plop_pants
    Free Member

St Anger, Metallica. Tbf it was everyone else that thought it was crap, but I finally bought it and love it.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

St Anger, Metallica. Tbf it was everyone else that thought it was crap, but I finally bought it and love it.

😆

Think you’re on your own there!

Saying that, title track and Frantic are actually pretty good. Had no problem with the incredibly tight snare everyone else seemed to take issue with either.

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Tunes initially you thought were awful, but now realise are things of genuis’ is closed to new replies.