Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Tunbridge Wells Caf Recommends? (not Velo House)
  • theflatboy
    Free Member

Doing a ride out to Tunbridge Wells and back on Sunday morning, and wanted to check out Velo House at the mid-point, but turns out we’re going to have been and gone before it opens. Anyone know any other decent cafs in that vicinity that would be open from 8ish on Sunday?

5lab
    theflatboy
    Free Member

Ta, but looks like not open at all on Sun. You know any others, perchance?

djtom
    Free Member

The Pleasant Cafe, Mount Pleasant. 2 or 3 doors from the station. Best fryup in T Wells (well, it was a year ago when I moved away!).

Failing that, the bandstand cafe in Calverley Park is pretty good, and the one by the lake in Dunorlan Park is good too.

(none of these really compete for the Velo House market, i.e. their coffee is either white or black and costs £1, rather than being available in 15 different grinds all costing £3 a cup, but IMHO are all the better for it…)

theflatboy
    Free Member

Great stuff, I’ll investigate those thanks – not really looking for a competitor to Velo House, just somewhere that will be open for sustenance and a sit-down! Cheers.

raify
    Free Member

On Camden Road is my vote for best breakfast in town: Black Dog Cafe http://www.blackdogcafetw.co.uk/

Monmouth coffee and the best Eggs Benny in Tunbridge Wells. They didn’t used to open on Sunday, but a recent ad in the paper says they’re going to. If they’re open (and haven’t updated the website), that’s worth it.

Also on Camden rd is the Camden Quarter, very nice brekkie and definitely open Sundays: http://www.camdenquarter.co.uk/menus/camden_breakfast_dec15.pdf

theflatboy
    Free Member

I have a feeling we could be out of luck in terms of hitting anywhere that’s actually open – in fairness, I can see why people generally aren’t up and working as early as that on a Sunday! Maybe we’ll have to save the cafe stop for 3/4 rather than 1/2 way round!

flange
    Free Member

The Cake Shed on the Pantiles is expensive but VERY good cake (best I’ve had in TW). Their coronation chicken sandwich is also awesome

Woods (bit further along from the Pantiles) is also OK.

dantsw13

Where are you coming from

Weasel
    Free Member

The Tunbridge Wells half marathon is on Sunday morning from 9am, so best check your route http://www.twharriers.org.uk/tunbridge-wells-half-marathon/

I was due to run it but full of lurgey at the moment

bullheart
    Free Member

Daily Bread in Rusthall, just along the Langton Green road. I’m in there all the time, lovely cake…

theflatboy
    Free Member

Weasel – cheers, this was pointed out to me last night, we have slightly rejigged to avoid overlapping so all good there. dants, we’re coming down from London, looping down just north of TW, then heading back round to London via Ide Hill and Brasted.

dantsw13

Ok – I’m the other side of TW, so don’t know much on the northern side.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Cheers all, good tips for next time – we ended up holding out and then getting a coffee and a cake at Cadence back at the top of Crystal Palace. Some good cafe tips for another time, though.

On a side note… Brasted climb – 😯

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Tunbridge Wells Caf Recommends? (not Velo House)’ is closed to new replies.