Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Tumble dryer/venting/condensation problem.
  • SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

The way our kitchen is set out we need to run the vent hose for the tumble dryer through the kitchen under our sink. This is leading to condensation problems in that cupboard. Any ideas to help solve of reduce this?

Cheers,
    Z.

wwaswas

get a condensing tumble dryer?

insulate the vent hose?

Liftman

Hang the washing out on the line, with the rising cost of electricity it will cost a fortune to run the tumble dryer, used to have one till I saw the speed the meter was spinning at when it was on 😐

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

wwaswas – any ideas on type of insulation?

Liftman – our washing lines are full – small garden and three young kids.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

is the vent hose split? I don’t understand how it can be causing condensation

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

The hose isnt split. Might not be the best qulity though. Will replace it with another better quality one and insulate it. Cold water pipes under the sink cool the hot air from the dryer TJ.

wwaswas

there must be moisture in the floor/walls that the heat fromt he pipe is drawign out and which then condenses in the cupboard?

this sort of stuff would wrap around it;

http://www.wickes.co.uk/thermal-insulation-foil-roll/invt/210022/?source=123_4

[edit] does it vent into the cupboard? not sure why the cold pipes would affect the vent hose otherwise unless water is condensing inside hose and leaking out?

neallyman
    Free Member

Sounds like leaks or a split in the hose, as TJ says…
    Check that first, especially connections. Take it the condensation is collecting on the inner surfaces of the base unit then?
    You could insulate it with a wrap of mineral wool insulation, something ghetto with tie-wraps and the like should work.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Just has a closer look at wishing I hadnt. Bugger.

neallyman
    Free Member

Well? What’s the story…

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Moisture has been feeding into the bricks, cupboard casing etc so is coming out of there. The vent hose seems to go uphill all the way and has a very tight turn to go round.

I am thinking that to save a lot of hassled I’ll just drill another vent hole through the wall and replace the cupboard casing.

woffle
    Free Member

get a condensing tumble dryer?

We’ve one and it’s surprisingly effective. I thought it’d be a bit of a gimmick but it seems to do the trick…

fisha
    Free Member

Condensing ones work very well … we have one and its been great. Ours is in a very small cupboard which has its own extractor fan to outside. No issues with dampness at all. The bigger issue is the heat that builds up in the cupboard … the fan has to be on to extract the heat, not any dampness.

cranberry
    Free Member

I’ve recently bought an AEG condenser – it works very well indeed.

TiRed

We have a miele condensing drier. I couldn’t see the point in heating air then pumping outside. With this design the heat stays indoors.

Of course we only use it during the winter months 😳 (normally)

donsimon
    Free Member

Can you believe that the highest level of sales of tumble driers in Spain is in the Marbella/ Malaga region? 🙄

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Tumble dryer/venting/condensation problem.’ is closed to new replies.