Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Tumble driers. How does mine work?
  • DrRSwank
    Free Member

Ok. So I get the “it tumbles” and “it dries” bit.

But I got given a rumble drier recently. I put clothes in, turn it on and, hey presto, the clothes are dry.

Now. I thought they always had tubes coming out the back to vent the steam. But there ain’t one. There’s no hole for a tube even.

Where’s the water going?

jon1973
    Free Member

It’s magic innit.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Into a tank. At the bottom behind a panel, or where the drawer would be if it was a washing machine. Or your ruining your wall because the pipe is missing!

coffeeking
    Free Member

Condenser – exits into a tank which you either empty or gets pumped out?

project
    Free Member

When the tank gets full the dryer usually stops working, thats if the switch works, if it doesnt it floods the floor, also check and clean the fluff filter after every use, my mums caught fire once , and luckily becauser iot was a smaller one and near a door ,she dragged it outside to burn itself out.

Oh the tank may be at the top as is some Hotpoints, or the bottom under the drum.

oh is it a combined washer and dryer, in that cas e the water is pumped out of the waste pipe into the drain.

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Tank!

I’ve not checked whether there’s a tank.

There’s definitely no pipe and nowhere to fit one onto.

iDave
    Free Member

try googling the make and model, though I’m sure you’ve already done that…..

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Er no.

Why google for facts when I can come on here for opinions.

So far I’m liking the “it’s magic” reply.

project
    Free Member

somewhere there will be a door or a handle to pull, with a plastic tank full of water.

matthewjb
    Free Member

project – Member
    somewhere there will be a door or a handle to pull, with a plastic tank full of water.

A plastic tank full of smelly water if you’ve never emptied it.

project
    Free Member

I love the way clever people can save peoples lives, yet cant empty a tumble dryer tank, thats if youre a real Dr swank. 😀

samuri
    Free Member

ours has a plastic tank I have to pull out and empty. The only time it needs emptying is 5 minutes after I start the tumble drier to dry my cycling clothes that I need RIGHT NOW.

Of course, I’ve gone to get everything else ready by that stage, and so return to a stopped drier full of wet clothes. Which I then have to wear.

fisha
    Free Member

Where is the moisture going?

Principle: Moisture in warm arm condenses on and sticks onto cold things … like breathing on a bit of cold glass.

cold air from outside the machine gets sucked into the tumble dryer and heated up as it goes into the barrel, the moisture from the clothes evaporates into that air due to the heat … the warm, moist air then gets passed through what is a bit like a radiator which has lots of little tubes and surface area. The outside of this radiator is normally exposed to the outside air ( in fact, the cold air from outside normally gets sucked across the outside of the radiator )

The cold air passing the radiator keeps it cool. The moisture in the warm air inside the radiator condenses on the cold radiator surface and builds up till it drips down and is collected the tray ( that you haven’t emptied )

Hey presto … moisture is evaporated out of the clothes and collected in the machine.

Clever eh?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Tumble driers. How does mine work?’ is closed to new replies.