Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Tuesday night South Manchester road ride
  • hora
    Free Member

More a pootle than a savage Pelaton if I’m honest. About 20mph(?), steady cadence.

5.30ish start- carpark inbetween Stretford tram and the Streford Mall.

Can do a pubstop halfway round or carry on going. 🙂

Email in profile too.

eightyeight
    Free Member

If I can get away from work and cycle the 3 miles to Stretford I’d be keen to join.

Usually ride billy-no-mates, so would be good to have a rest behind somebody 🙂

Bregante

Can’t do next Tuesday. Planning a mission on Sunday morning though…

eightyeight
    Free Member

I’m doing this on Sunday

http://maplorer.com/gpx-view/gpx_view.php

Given current fitness levels, I’m nervous already

eightyeight
    Free Member

Well that didn’t work….

http://maplorer.com/permalink.php?file=2014-05-30_17_34_11_b_124km Dids 2400m.gpx

hora
    Free Member

Just me then this week. I’m doing Thursday too if your about Bregante. Might start a little later tonight now. If its just me theres no pub stop (or stopping) 8)

Bregante

Afternoons all week hora so I can’t unfortunately. Did a nice 60 odd miler on Sunday morning up and around rivi and have some splendid tan lines now 🙂

hora
    Free Member

I took my top off/kept on my Gilet on Sunday as I was very conscious of my dark forearms/wifebeater upper pale arms 8)

RoganJosh
    Free Member

Just to let you know, if you’re doing anything more than 90 minutes then 20 mph is not that steady…. And cadence is irrelevant.

hora
    Free Member

Good or bad? I’m totally new to all this.

scaled
    Free Member

Rogan Josh – Member
    Just to let you know, if you’re doing anything more than 90 minutes then 20 mph is not that steady…. And cadence is irrelevant.

This is Cheshire mate, we don’t have any of those ‘hill’ things to get in the way

E.g. 129.5mi 8:07:37 2,478ft (so about 16 mph avg with a bloke that had never ridden more than 40 miles before)

RoganJosh
    Free Member

Well, 20mph unless you have a raging tailwind, is not a steady pace, I’d suggest that’s probably putting some people off. If you’re new to it and want a steady ride I’d suggest 17mph/18mph for 2hours depending on where you live and HOW steady you want.

I have to press on pretty hard to do 20mph for a couple of hours, certainly wouldn’t want a pint in the middle! And it’s hard to do that with a group cus there is always one that is struggling a little.

And my comment about cadence was that one persons steady 17mph ride could be at 90rpm and another persons at 130rpm.

Edit: ah Cheshire, ye, I live in the lakes so I’m used to sh1t roads and grippy hills. Maybe more achievable but still I’d say that quoting 20mph as steady would put a lot off.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Oh piss,
    If I’d seen this message earlier I’d have been well up for it. But I drove in today so can’t make it.
    Did you say you’re going out Thursday as well?
    Or can do Wednesday.

cheers

hora
    Free Member

Yep Thursday as well. My old bestmate from childhood who is now a committed roadie said ‘you mountain bike at weekends, what about the road riding’.

Erm, two nights a week is for roading.. Roading is my mistress. Mountain biking is my wife (is that a horaclanger brant?)

eightyeight
    Free Member

Would like to have made it tonight, but:
    a) I’m working
    b) It looks like it’s gonna piss it down 🙂

On the speed front, I did a pretty flat 70 miles / 110k on Sunday (took in Wizard but only 1752 ft / 534m overall) and averaged 15.5mph / 24.2km/h.

I lost my big ring halfway round so say that would have been 16.5mph. Basically 20mph is a ‘head down, take it in turns at the front, smash some gels on the hoof’ sort of speed. Well for me anyway.

Bregante

Like eightyeight, I did 63 miles on Sunday. 2000ft of climbing on a solo ride and I averaged 15.5.

A normal Cheshire flat ride (35 miles, 800-1000ft) would be 17.5- 18.5 for me on my Tod. Maybe a bit more in a small group.

hora, you’re just too awsumz. We’re all intimidated!

eightyeight
    Free Member

Bregante – phew I was beginning to think I was really slow.

First time I’ve ever had saddle sore this week (didn’t get it after doing 1000km across France last summer). I’m assuming it’s just a case of breaking the new saddle in? It was my fourth ride of the new steed.

(Don’t really want to start a ‘Saddle sore’ topic, apologies for high jacking)

hora
    Free Member

Maybe 20 is max 😳

Bregante

(Don’t really want to start a ‘Saddle sore’ topic, apologies for high jacking)

I could always take a few snaps of my “heat rash” if you like? 😉

eightyeight
    Free Member

I’ll pass thanks Bregante.

I do have some spiffing tan lines now. Razor sharp.

Me in the pool >>>>

“Yea, I cycle. What of it?”

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

17.5/18.0 max on my fixy for 30-40 miles.. Any faster than than that and i’d likely get a strop on and throw my bike in a hedge.

hora
    Free Member

Why are my arms stiff- hard to reflex at the elbow towards the end?

Tonight was a breeze otherwise

hora
    Free Member

Arm lock. My bars/stem is too low?

Bregante

hora – Member
    Arm lock. My bars/stem is too low?

*moves £650 into current account. Ready to pounce. 🙂

hora
    Free Member

Git 😆

I was thinkin mid ride…what wide chinese carbon drop bars..

hora
    Free Member

Bregante draw some more out…. planetx have increased their pricing by 200 😉

boblo
    Free Member

Just one word; peloton. <sigh> #bloodybegginers 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

Stem too long likely to be the bigger issue.

Agree that 20mph isn’t steady in anyone’s book. Are you actually doing 20mph, or is that willy waving?

hora
    Free Member

See the embarrased face above? 🙂

This morning I had tingling in my third and fourth fingers. Might be time to try 100mm

njee20
    Free Member

Certainly more likely to be a cause of elbow pain than bar height. Finger numbness could be height though – too much pressure on your hands.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Tuesday night South Manchester road ride’ is closed to new replies.