Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Tubular Tyres – Ironman Racing
  • thekingisdead
    Free Member

I have my 1st IM race in 8/9 weeks, so am starting to think about spares for the bike.

I’ll be running Tub Tyres – so will have a spare tub + 1 or 2 cans of Vittoria Pit stop and a C02 cannister with me.

In the event of a puncture – and having to fit a new tyre – what else do I need / will be useful? I understand its a good idea to have the spare ‘pre-stretched’, would i need to re-apply tub tape at the roadside? Or can i re-use whats already on there?

Any tips for changing tubs ‘in race conditions’ appreciated, I will be fitting a new tub prior to then, so hopefully will have an idea of what its all about.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

this might be of some use,

Vittoria doesn’t test very well,

best suggestion for the already mounted tube would be to put the sealant inside

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Products/Things_that_Roll/Tires/Sealant_Test_-_Part_2_4155.html

convert

1. I’d use a tufo tub as the spare – not a fan of them as the tyre to be ridden on but you can get some light Tufos that roll/fold up small as a spare.
    2. Personally I prefer glue to tape. I also think a preglued spare is better than a pretaped spare. Just pre-stretch and pre-glue and roll it up glued sides pressed against each other.
    3. Old ironman pro trick for quick tube changes is to not glue a couple of inches of the tub on the wheel directly opposite the valve hole. Makes it much easier to tear off in a hurry.
    4. Not sure I’d bother with the pitstop – not read much good about it’s reliability.
    5. If your ironman allows/provides an opportunity to have a personal aids bag available to pick up on the bike (they normally get thrown away by the organiser at the end of the race if they have not been used) chuck a really cheap 2nd spare tub in there. If you puncture and use the first spare you can stop at the aid station and retrieve the 2nd just in case.
    6. Take care not to overdo the tub pressure. This is an IM not a TT – the roads tend to be rougher and a little less pressure can smooth out the ride, improve cornering and maybe reduce the risk of puncture slightly. Just because the tub has a max pressure of 10 or 12bar doesn’t mean you need to have it that high.

cchris2lou

I would also recommend Tufo and carry some Extreme Tufo latex rather than Pit stop .

had to use pit stop once and it went everywhere except than in the tub .

as said above leave a bit untaped or unglued so it is easier to undo if needed .

put your spare tub on a spare wheel inflated for a few days , and then apply glue to it and leave to dry .

aracer
    Free Member

Also applies to TTs IME – very few have perfect roads, and current thinking is that slightly lower pressure is also faster on anything other than perfect roads as you waste more energy bouncing up and down than in tyre deformation.

I’ve always carried old tubs I’ve retired as spares, with tub tape still attached (I use glue now, but don’t have any spares with that on) – though you need to retire them before they’re completely worn out to do that. As mentioned above, fold the sticky side together.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Another question; can a tyre be removed without destroying it? I want to replace a tyre but use the old one as the spare. I gather they stick like sh1t to a proverbial, hence the tip about not glueing a small section to facilitate a quick change.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Tubular Tyres – Ironman Racing’ is closed to new replies.