Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • tubular road tyres
  • cchris2lou

Any suggestions for a good value tubular road tyre in 24 or 25mm?

lunge

Planet-X are always worth a look for this kind of thing. I’ve never run tubs but know they have a lot with a suitably big discount.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

what do you want to use them for? As above P-X is always good for tubs

cchris2lou

Just normal riding, including daily commute. No racing.
    Planet x don’t have much choice in 24 or 25mm

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Why would you want tubs for commuting?!?
    Surely the last thing you need, something like a Gatorskin or the Vee Apache (love mine) as a commuter tyre is a much more sensible choice & run tubs for racing

leggyblonde
    Free Member

it’s a brave person who chooses to commute on tubs! Why the need for 24/25mm?

I’d normally recommend Continental Sprinters, I use these to ride over 20 miles each way across London once a week in Summer to race and they haven’t let me down but they only come in 22mm width.

Otherwise Vittoria Paves are pretty robust and yet still fast. They look pro in green too. http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYVIPECG/vittoria-pave-evo-cg-ii-tubular-tyre

Edric64
    Free Member

I raced all last season on Gatorskin tubs in 25mm flavour no punctures and a good compromise between weight grip and rolling resistance

njee20
    Free Member

I liked Conti Competitons, but they did go flat on top quite rapidly, wouldn’t be my choice for commuting and daily use.

oldgit
    Free Member

If I ‘had’ to for commuting, then I’d use Giro’s.

lunge

If you’re going tubs then you might as well do it properly, Dugast or Veloflex with a skinwall.

cchris2lou

Thanks for the replies.
    I don’t find tubular more hassle than clinchers.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

…do it properly, Dugast or Veloflex with a skinwall.

For commuting? Don’t think so.

OP, let us know what you go for 😀

Sam

Vittoria Pave or Challenge Strada Bianca are lovely but both at least £50 tyres – though i guess that’s what you pay for nice tubs. I’m not aware of any cheaper tyre which are wide as well.

bikebouy
    Free Member

^^ Challenge Strada Bianca, that’s what I’d use.

But hey, whaddyagonnadowhenyagertapuncturelyke ?

😐

cchris2lou

Looks like it is going to be gatorskin.

lunge

…do it properly, Dugast or Veloflex with a skinwall.

For commuting? Don’t think so.[/quote]
    If you’re using tubs for commuting you’re already playing a dangerous game, you might as well play that game with the lightest, fastest tubs available and enjoy the ride.

Gatorskin tubs sound to me like the worst of all worlds. All the impracticality of tubs combined with the poor grip, poor feel, average puncture resistance and general poor performance of a Gatorskin. I would, very honestly, rather commute on a FMB tub at £80 per tyre than a Gatorskin.

AverageMark
    Free Member

I ran the Continental Sprinter Gatorskin last year and they lasted well, punctured a couple of times but nothing that some Stan’s sealant didn’t fix. I then went to Vittoria Corsa Elites – these are a cheaper version of the CX, i think they where £28 or something. Lasted up until this Christmas without a puncture and no need to add sealant. But the ride compared to the Gatorskins was night and day, I can’t see the point of Gatorskins as they take away half the reason for riding tubs – the ride. I have since switched to 25mm Pave’s – the newest version. They are expensive but ride lovely, thing is they don’t ride twice as well as the Elites, also due to the latex tubes in the pave’s i don’t feel as confident putting sealant in them. The elite’s use butyl tubes so it’s not a problem, I will be going back to the 25mm elite’s once the Pave’s wear out – which i don’t think will take to long looking at them.

LS
    Free Member

Gatorskin tubs sound to me like the worst of all worlds. All the impracticality of tubs combined with the poor grip, poor feel, average puncture resistance and general poor performance of a Gatorskin. I would, very honestly, rather commute on a FMB tub at £80 per tyre than a Gatorskin.

Absolutely! Tubs for general use are a mug’s game, so do it in style if you’re going to. Gatorskins are grim things.

beaconjon
    Free Member

Why is riding with tubs a dangerous game?
    If done properly, you can change a tub quicker than a tube.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Out of interest how many miles is your commute?

Gary_M
    Free Member

Not sure ‘dangerous’ is the right word but a pain in the arse if you puncture. And unless you’re doing your own repairs if could get expensive.

unglueing, unstitching, patching, stitching glueing…
    or some sort of sealant
    or sending them away for repair

bikebouy
    Free Member

beaconjon – Member

Nah, nah you can’t.

Sorry.

It’s a physical impossibility.

Be like swapping your front wheel with your rear and expecting them still to propel you forward when you peddle.

Also, I have to say, filling a Tub with Stans is madness. Once the Tub gets a puncture at say 90+ psi the liquid from to cut/hole will squirt out like silly string forming into rubber as it ejects. You’ll be left at the side of the road looking like the rest of the kids party has gone home and you are left looking like Ronald McDonald.

I’d say try it though, try Tubs, fill em’ with Stans and commute soon whilst it’s still winter.

Then report back.

AverageMark
    Free Member

I reported back further up – stan’s worked fine in the gatorskins I was running, just they where horrible things to ride.

beaconjon
    Free Member

So ripping a punctured tub off and fitting a pre-glued one is slower than pissing about with tyre levers and an inner tube, not to mention making sure you remove whatever caused the puncture before fitting the tube?

Admittedly it could get expensive but only if you puncture a lot.

I had 2 punctures last year across 6k miles on two road bikes, an MTB and my TT bike with a mixture of tubs, clinchers and slime tubes.

Both tubes and tubs have their pros and cons, but dismissing tubs for everyday riding?

Back to the OP, I run 25’s on my road bikes and 22’s in the TT bike due to very tight clearances.

beaconjon
    Free Member

Continental sprinters are a good half way house between reliability and speed.

TiRed

I commute in the summer on Tufo Carbon Hi-composite tubs filled with their sealant. Not had any problems. I don’t really recommend it for glass-strewn city streets and I wouldn’t be using expensive tubs either. But the Tufos aren’t as bad as the reviews would have you believe. A good training tyre that, when combined with my light track wheels, makes for a lively ride into work.

crispycross
    Free Member

So ripping a punctured tub off and fitting a pre-glued one is slower…

I would imagine so, but it probably depends how you glued it on to start with. It takes me 15 minutes, with tools and swearing, to remove a well-glued cross tub indoors. With cold stiff glue and cold fingers it’d be a bloody nightmare. If you’ve got a weak glue job, ok, I can see it might be doable. If you use tape and deliberately leave a section unstuck to get you started, that might work too. (I’ve heard triathletes used to do that). If it’s raining and everything is getting wet and mucky, I’d be surprised if you got the replacement to stick at all.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

top tip, add some stans to the tub 🙂

edit: already suggested

kilo

As a teenage roadie ran tubs only, as did most roadies in those days, never had any problems changing a tub at the roadside, used tape and a taped up spare. you can run a punctured tub a bit more than a tyre and tube due to their deflation characteristics hence the use of them on velodromes. I wouldn’t go back to them for extended road use but they aren’t as bad as people are letting on here, I remember one pot hole which knackered a gp4 rim but didn’t pop the tube.. Fixing them was no great problem, just a little time consuming but as a skint teenager that was acceptable.

globalti
    Free Member

Just buy a pair of Veloflex Open Corsas from Ribble and enjoy the benefits of clinchers with tubular comfort and grip. Simples.

cchris2lou

On good days, I do 35km. But not in town, mostly countryside.
    According to the Garmin, it took me less than 10 minutes to swap a tubular tyre on side of the road. Don’t think I would have been quicker with clinchers.
    I quite like the Gatorskin in 25mm but have been unlucky , massive glass bit on the front, Stan could not fix it and even when repaired with a patch it still would loose air. Had to bin it after a week.
    Bike discount have good prices on Tufo, so will order some of them as well.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ok, so I say do it, clearly you are happy with changing Tubs and well who am I to say do something else. I do have to add I’ve used Tubs a lot. I even tried to use them here in the Downs for training and well we have lots of field run off here and masses of flint.. It didn’t end very well at all that experiment. Then I changed to Clement Strada’s or Challenge Elite (both Open Clinchers) which very closely feel like Tubs, and have been using them for Donkeys years.
    So it takes me a few mins to fix a puncture or slam another tube in, but far better IMO than trying in vein to get a Tub to glue, and stay glued, and have confidence to press hard into a corner without my bum making morse code signals to those behind me.

Have fun.

Ride hard.

😀

c_klein87

i used gatorskins all last summer, 25mm, no punctures but they wear out kinda fast

Gary_M
    Free Member

Kind off worth it as its a decent distance but I still wouldn’t go that route. Changing a tube on a freezing cold wet night is bad enough but trying to rip a tub off and stick back on wouldn’t be for me.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘tubular road tyres’ is closed to new replies.