Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Tubs – Glue or Tape?
  • oddjob
    Free Member

I just bought a set of used Zipp wheels with Tubs. I need to get a spoke changed on the back wheel so I will need to reattach the tub when I am done.

Given that I’ll be road racing on them, I was 99% certain that I would go with glue, but oddly, I can’t see any at CRC. (do they sell it?)
    Any good or bad experiences with tape?

m1kea
    Free Member

Never used tub tape as I prefer to trowel on the cement. 🙄

I think Evans may be the cheapest at the mo – http://www.evanscycles.com/products/continental/rim-cement-350g-ec011799?query=tub%20cement

Ladders
    Free Member

This

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/tufo-tub-tape-for-road-wheels/

Unless your using them on track, then glue them

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Glue, always.

Ladders
    Free Member

Glue, always.

Why?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Last place I worked at swore by tape.

Thie means they probably both work OK, tho tape is meant to be a lot less messy.

oddjob
    Free Member

there’s already glue on the rim and the tyre. Do I need to go through the 2 coats and letting it dry in between routine?

LS
    Free Member

Glue, always.

^ This

Tape seems a good idea if you’ve not done it before but glue is quicker, easier, and less grief in the long run. Glue also gives a much better bond, hence why we use it for CX when there’s less pressure pushing the tub onto the rim.

oddjob
    Free Member

can you use that conti glue on carbon rims? It says alloy on Wiggle

m1kea
    Free Member

Take your time with glue and you don’t get gunked up.

Of course this only applies to any tub other than Continentals, which I refuse to use any more because they are so f#<kn b’stard tight to fit.

oddjob
    Free Member

Yes, but how many times do i need to go over the rim and tyre if they’re already coated?

LS
    Free Member

Ideally you’d use the same glue again but if you don’t know what was on before, probably one coat on each should be fine.
    If it was e.g. Conti before and you were using Conti again then for road use I’d just put one coat on the rim and remount.

Make sure both surfaces are dust/grease free first by going over with a bit of rag and some acetone.

oddjob
    Free Member

no idea what glue was on before as it was on when I got them last week.

THink I’ll talk to the guy at my LBS when I take the wheel in to get the spoke replaced

LS
    Free Member

If it’s a clear glue then it’s probably Conti or Vittoria. I’ve mixed those two before without any hassle. If it’s a darker colour it might be one of the older kinds of glue which have been banned and they don’t really work when mixed with the modern ones.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Back when I used tubs a lot I used tape and never had the bond fail. Much easier, quicker and less messy

ourmaninthenorth

they don’t really work when mixed with the modern ones

Glue on wheels I;ve just bought is yellow-ish. New or old?

LS
    Free Member

Probably new, the old ones only appear now on older wheels or from people (I know a couple 😀 ) who have a load of Dunlop or Clement glue in the garage from years ago and are gradually using it up.

njee20
    Free Member

Glue for me. I used the Conti stuff on carbon rims no bother.

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Raced on tubs for years and years with tape, still do, never had a failure.(Having now said that,I will die doing the crit this Tuesday night ive entered)

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Tubs – Glue or Tape?’ is closed to new replies.