Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Tubless Rim Choices
  • Si
    Free Member

Well im sorting some tubless rims as part of a Bike2Work build and wanted to see what people recommended.

Now whilst im of average weight, my rims serious abuse. So I want some very tough and relatively lightweight ones to replace the Sun Singletracks for my Patriot66

Prefer tubless specific, so was looking at some Stans Flows, seemed perfect but price has gone up to £90 each!!!! Are they…
    1. Strong enough
    2. Worth the money as the equivalent Mavic – 823 are 200g a rim heavier (But £30 a rim cheaper)

Will be running FatAlberts on them if it makes any difference.

mboy
    Free Member

Had just been weighing up similar options myself recently, primarily decided by the cost I’m afraid to say.

819’s are brilliant, they’re practically bombproof, their only drawback is they are relatively narrow (and of course not that cheap either).

Stans look ace, but are ridiculously expensive, so a total no no for me (rims are consumable items guys, they get abused!)

823’s are as good as 819’s, just more of them. Too much more unless they’re going on a DH bike IMO (about 720g all in per rim when you include the required nipple beds!)

The option I decided to go for is the relatively new Mavic EN521 rim with a Stan’s or Joe’s Notubes kit fitted. The EN521 rim is 28mm wide, 540g in weight, it’s welded not pinned, and they’re about the cheapest Mavic rim available for some reason (I got mine for £27 yesterday!).

Now I love UST, but the lack of an “inbetween” rim to go between the 819 and 823 does annoy me, as does the cost of the bloody things now! The 521’s will be a touch more hassle in terms of running tubeless on them, but they’re cheaper/faster/easier to replace.

trailmonkey

[hijack] You riding this w/e ? I can only do Sunday [/hijack]

Si
    Free Member

Burrator Sunday I was thinking.

the_lecht_rocks

lets have a bloody 821 Mavic !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

trailmonkey

OK Si, Keep on eye on the weather. We might want to hide somewhere according to the forecast, but I’ll be up for Burrator if it’s not too windy/p’ing down.

MrNutt
    Free Member

I run the 823’s, I was thinking about something a little lighter, such as the 819’s but thats quite a bit narrower, I’m with the_lecht_rocks – lets have a bloody 821 Mavic !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Si
    Free Member

So has anyone got / ridden the stans then?

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Have both – 819s are dinged whilst the Stans with lower sidewalls are intact. Could be luck but the Stans dont burp air, are lighter and offer a far better tyre profile.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Doh misread that, dont have 823s but they are significantly heravier than the Stans.

dasnut
    Free Member

have both 819s and Stans flows (oh and 823s)

819s are pretty bomb proof (have been in my hands anyhow)
    Flows so far holding up, advantage is more flexibility in tyre choice

819s are really for UST tyres only, flows you can ghetto it up, although my experience (tubeless on 3 bikes for 2years) says use a UST on the rear anyway for the thicker sidewalls.

823s for downhill only they weight a tonne

guitarhero
    Free Member

Yes the 821 is a great rim 😉

MrNutt
    Free Member

823’s for downhill only! pah! I ride mine up hills, admittedly with lots of panting, sweating and colourful language, but I do it, sometimes I even get off and push it up the hills! (and I’m sure thats even harder work!)

downhill only indeed! pfft!

*cough* *wheeze* *cough*

/turns purple then pale then green

r6ymy
    Free Member

I’m a fan of Stan’s rims. From Mr Nutt’s post about BETD doing cheap forks and also stocking Stan’s rims, checked their prices and they are very good, £60 for Arch, £70 for Flow, and they say that includes valve core and rim strip. So don’t exclude the option of Stan’s on price grounds.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Tubless Rim Choices’ is closed to new replies.