Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Tubeless/UST. Explain.
  • deluded
    Free Member

With the change in weather and ground conditions I need more grip.

My situation is not helped because I can’t run low (traction enhancing) pressures as I’m a bit of a lump and need to have the tyre well inflated to prevent pinch flats. I’m therefore thinking of going tubeless but not too sure I understand how to accomplish this.

I have two bikes that are equipped with Mavic 717’s and DT Swiss EX1750 (EX5.1) and do not want to change them. In simple terms how would I convert them? What is the best conversion kit and tyre choice?

Thanks and all the best.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Not really answering your question, but as a word of warning, the old 'able to run lower pressures' thing isn't really a reason to go tubeless.

At the sort of pressures you would be pinch flatting with tubes, you will be popping tubeless tyres off the rim going round corners. Tried with 823's/deemax and UST and dual ply maxxis rubber.

If you only want more grip, getting better tyres or modifying your technique would be easier.

Northwind

Don't think I agree with that, I don't run my tubeless at drastically low pressures just because I don't like how it rides, but anywhere below 30psi I start running into regular pinches with tubes, whereas I've done a fair bit of riding below that with tubeless and no problems at all. (standard tyres on my traversees)

Still, I think Kenneththecurtain's basically right, this doesn't strike me as the best way to improve your grip… What sort of tyres are you using?

deluded
    Free Member

Panaracer Cinders 2.25

13thfloormonk

Not always true kenneth, depends how you ride.

I used to pinch flat a bit at 30 p.s.i, now running tubeless at between 25 and 28. The slight difference in pressure still makes a big difference on the trail, and at the same speed/over the same lines i would be destroying inner tubes were i not tubeless. Maybe if you're a downhiller its different.

Smee
    Free Member

Go Ghetto dude.

Get a bmx tube split it so that you have one big rim strip, pop it and a tyre on, fire some sealant in and inflate – trim excess tube. Worry about it again when the tyre wears out.

Radioman

I have used Tubeless and tubed tyres for quite a few years.

I think an imprtant factor if you are big is the tyre size. You definitely should try bigger tyres if your bike can take them, this will stop you pinch flatting & give you traction without resorting to silly pressures where you may dent the rim anyway. With low pressures in tubeless you can also "burp" air & sealant if you hit big roots/rocks on the trail.

I run Schwalbe Fat Albert 2.35s on two of my bikes. One set tubeless, the other set tubed. My trail bike is tubeless as it can comes into more contact with thorns etc. However after years of running tubless i'm thinking of going back to simple tubes on both bikes. On my tubeless bike I use slime sealant which makes the tyres heavy versus the tubed bike.

My "big 2.35 tyres" rarely puncture so i think i may possibly go back to tubes. With bigger tyres the tubeless advantage isn't that clear IMO

13thfloormonk

Hmm…

It doesn't help that people's experiences vary so much! I'm running fatter tyres on both bikes than i would have been with tubes.

Running fat soft tubeless tyres has been the biggest improvement to any of my bikes in the past couple of years, allowing faster rolling over rough ground, and lots of control.

So much so that the bike i use for off road touring and long distances has 2.4" tyres either end, and my marathon/racey bike has 2.25 ADvantages which size up pretty balloon like.

Radioman

agree fat tyres are big way forward. In the the past lots of punctures were due to too little air volume. These days i use the fat albert 2.35 all year round & never change them. With big tyres i dont get punctures……..much! touch wood!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless/UST. Explain.’ is closed to new replies.