Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • tubeless woes – what did i do wrong?
  • Gooner
    Free Member

decided to change my tubless tyres from 2.3’s to 2.1’s so i order some racing ralphs and after a bit of a struggle i get the new tyre on

in order to seat it properly i decide to pump it up to more than my normal riding pressure
    using a track pump i pump (and hear the satifying pops of the tyre seating) however as i approach 80lbs there is a loud bang and the tyre is off the rim and my ears are ringing

the rim and tyre look ok so i put it back on (it goes on much easier this time) but will not hold any air

i am guessing i need a new tyre – what do you think?

thank goodness i had nt put the tyre sealant in!

RealMan
    Free Member

Why would you pump it up that high? To seat a tyre you dont need any more then 50, maybe 60 psi..

markd
    Free Member

i did this at 90 with a nobby nic.

covered me and the workshop in so much jizz i looked like i had been at a japanese bukkake party.

the tyre was screwed and only good for the bin after that. deformed the shape of it,
    my ears hurt too after i picked the dried latex out of them.

Gooner
    Free Member

i was nt sure what i needed to pump it up to – now i know!

njee20
    Free Member

Why on earth after it seated did you keep pumping!?

That’ll be above the maximum pressure for the tyre with a tube in anyway, not even considering tubeless!

uplink
    Free Member

80 is pushing it a bit – I’d be surprised if the tyre is still serviceable after breaking loose

fivespot
    Free Member

I don’t suppose you video’d it !!

Gooner
    Free Member

fivespot – no i did nt but a couple of the neighbours came out and my wife came into the garage to see me lookin bewildered!

njee20
    Free Member

Yes, for future reference when it pops, it’s seated, no need to go any higher. I rarely find that’s more than 40.

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

as said, thats way above max recommended pressure. hence why it blew.

i’m with njee, never really needed more than 40-45.

if its not popped by then. then roll/squash it on the ground, and it usually seats.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘tubeless woes – what did i do wrong?’ is closed to new replies.