Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Tubeless water bottle inflation (Kickstarter)
  • rossa
    Free Member

Apologies if this has been posted before:

Tubeless tire inflator and drinking system in one. milKit booster replaces a compressor, is inexpensive, lightweight and easy to use.

Looks like it could solve a problem…

survivor

I’m a bit suspicious. The bottle seems small and the video shows a tyre being inflated that’s already locked into the beads.

I bet it wouldn’t inflate a loose tyre from scratch.

philjunior
    Free Member

It should work, my 2L bottle ghetto inflator I limit the pressure I put in to avoid problems (I calculated the bottle was several times the volume of the tyre so if the beads catch immediately you would end up with most of the pressure in there.)

This can probably take a higher pressure and it’s that blast you need to get it seated – plus it doesn’t have the long tube. Still, I’ve got my ghetto inflator so it’s a no from me.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

a drink bottle until you need it for its proper intended purpose?

Junkyard
    Free Member

No one is going to be taking it to the trail but yes here have either

1) a fixed puncture and no water

2) puncture but lots of water – and you still need a pump anyway to inflate it.

belugabob
    Free Member

It does seem like a nice formalisation of the ghetto inflator, for people who don’t want to make their own. If it’s lighter than an Airshot, then carrying it around becomes a possibility (I’m assuming that an Airshot is a bit on the heavy side, but I may be wrong)

Agree with the observations about the water, BTW

cookeaa

Looks like an interesting product TBF, an airshow that fits in a bottle cage and doesn’t cost a fortune…

Personally I’d want to be able to charge it at home, with a track pump before a ride, then take it out on a ride in case I need to plug a tyre then top it back up. But that cap looks a little unwieldy a short retractable hose of some sort might be better…

hatter

It looks like it’d work with a normal Sigg bottle, if that’s the case and you can buy the head on it’s own it could be pretty cost effective as most of us will have an old Sigg somewhere.

cookeaa

Actually I’ve got a couple of old aluminium sigg knock off ~500ml bottles in the garage… Hmmm.

deadkenny
    Free Member

As an equivalent to CO2 carts and a bit bulky but not costing a cartridge each time, maybe.

Seating tubeless fresh, not so sure. I’m not hearing bead popping or seeing it inflate long enough to pop the bead, and I’m still seeing a crease in the tyre after. Though if it pops enough of the bead then do the rest with a track pump before it goes down.

Combined water bottle makes it useful idea on the trail being it serves two purposes. I guess you empty the water first and then charge it with a hand pump. You’re out of water then though.

fifeandy
    Free Member

So its a cheap nasty Airshot that costs nearly as much as an Airshot.
    Not really seeing why anyone would risk crowdfunding something that already has a successful product available to buy.

bruneep

Thanks for contacting us and for your interest in the milKit booster.
    The fact that the booster is very effective because there is not pressure loss in a hose or additional adapters you can inflate even the largest tires with the small bottle. You just assemble the tire and the rim (tire stays on rim loosely), apply the booster, add the sealant (with the milKit syringe) – and your wheel is ready.

hatter

It would also mean you could use a big 1 litre sigg jobbie at home to seat awkward or new tyres and a smaller version for when you’re out and about.

You can get 0.4 litre Siggs that’d probably do a road or gravel tyre just fine and would fit nicely in a jersey pocket or seatpack.

Northwind

It’s clever, that. Don’t see why you’d choose it for a home solution but on the trail, maybe. Not something I’d buy but I like its ingenuity.

zippykona

Have I missed something?
    Why would you break the bead on the trail? Does anyone ever do an inside repair out in the wild.
    Surely you will either do an anchovy fix or put a tube in. Neither of which will require a tubeless inflator.

km79
    Free Member

If it fitted in a bottle cage and could hold your tools as well as the inflator bit inside then it might have been worth a punt. Seems a bit pointless as is.

Northwind

zippykona – Member

Why would you break the bead on the trail?

If the bead doesn’t break, you don’t need a compressor/airshot, you just want a pump. This thing would just add extra hassle in that situation.

I said I liked it before I realised that, now I have changed my mind, it’s bollocks.

jamesoz

I’ve often thought, one of those handy large hollow bits on your bike frame would make a handy air container, especially one of the old monocoque full suss frames. Would just need to be sealed and a valve and outlet fitted.

mcnultycop

As a few lists above, carrying a tube has to be easier?

CraigW
    Free Member

Much the same as the SKS Rideair, which is already available? http://www.sks-germany.com/en/products/rideair/

cookeaa

jamesoz – Member
    I’ve often thought, one of those handy large hollow bits on your bike frame would make a handy air container, especially one of the old monocoque full suss frames. Would just need to be sealed and a valve and outlet fitted.

Maybe, except they’re all full of holes and internally routed cables these days…

But yeah a frame with an integrated reservoir and air line (that can reach both valves) sounds like a great idea, if this product is to be believed something like 1L @ say 5-6 bar would be adequate perhaps?

Anchovies and file bunged in either bar end cap, multitool and quick links stuffed up the steerer, none of this stuff is particularly difficult and a few companies are already trying to sell bits and pieces of the “integrated repair kit” concept… The last piece of the puzzle is updating the boring old pump/CO2 cart, why not shove a pressure vessel inside the downtube?…

greyspoke
    Free Member

Yes I also see it as CO2 for tubeless. A one-shot inflation without the need for pumping. Probably one bottleful will be all you need on a ride, just like one spare tube was before tubeless (though I always ran with two as it felt safer).

Using up the bottle cage would be an issue as I use bottles for drink, but it would fit in a backpack I guess.

I have also wondered about combining something like this with something like ProCore, using the air inside the inner tyre to fill the outer one in an emergency or if you can’t be arsed to pump.

ndthornton
    Free Member

I think there is a need for something like this – Just not quite this.

I have had quite a few instances of requiring a blast of air out on the trail to reseat a tubeless tyre. A few times when I have been running low pressures and the tyre has burped off the rim in a particular rad turn or indeed a crash. Other times where the tyre has punched on a rock and the tyre has deflated before I could get an anchovy into it. In both these cases the tyre is fine or mended but still requiring of an inner tube because I cant get it to seat with my minipump.

Putting a tube in is the only alternative but its less than ideal…
    1, you are left with the job of removing the tyre, cleaning the tube and re-tubelessifyng the tyre when you get home which is a faff and takes time.
    2, you loose the Stans in the tyre
    3, for the remainder of the ride you are left with a compromised tyre system. It doesn’t perform as well as it could and can puncture again causing you to have to get out the puncture repair kit 😥

Of course there is CO2 – personally I don’t like this option as you have only one chance to seat the tyre unless you want to carry multiple canisters which gets heavy. If you fail to seat it the first time then its inner tube for you Boy! Also they cost money to replace and I am tight.

So there is the need….

The problem with this new product is too fold

1, (and this is a personal one) I don’t use bottles I use Hydration packs so the bottle function is useless to me. Also many of my bikes don’t have bottle cages.
    2, I have been thinking this for a while….why does the pressure vessel need to be rigid? This adds weight and bulk. What about a pressure vessel made of a flexible material that can be folded up but still inflated to over 40 PSI. Essentially like a balloon but made of a none flexible material that wont expand like a balloon, perhaps similar to a camelback bladder (although I would want a separate bladder to the one my water is in as I don’t want to waste it). This bladder can be inflated via a presta valve with my mini pump that I am already carrying and fired into the tyre via a rubber hose (once I have removed the valve core of course). Its basically a compact version of my lemonade bottle inflator. It doesn’t have to be massive volume – just enough to seat the tyre as I can finish off the inflation with my pump.

The whole thing weighs next to nothing and packs up really small. It probably weighs less than my spare inner tube!

Can someone make this please – I was going to but I don’t have time.

thanks

STATO
    Free Member

Of course you could just save all the on-trail hassle and set up your tubeless properly so it isnt slack when not on the beads.

ndthornton
    Free Member

Of course you could just save all the on-trail hassle and set up your tubeless properly so it isnt slack when not on the beads.

how – do tell?

Stevet1
    Free Member

jamesoz – Member

I’ve seen a custom built backpacking frame where the tubes were used to carry camping gas. Can’t find it now though.

DezB
    Free Member

Surely you can’t drink tyre sealant..?

smokey_jo

This might be a stupid thought but here goes. All bikes have handlebars so how about a way of making it a sealed tube with a valve at one end which you can attach your hose to?

allthepies
    Free Member

😯 😆

ndthornton
    Free Member

Not enough volume in handlebars !

If you could do the entire frame that would work – but that would involve a lot of welding of expensive bike metal.

If it was done at manufacture that would be great though!

Stevet1
    Free Member

This might be a stupid thought but here goes. All bikes have handlebars so how about a way of making it a sealed tube with a valve at one end which you can attach your hose to?

More sensibly, most bikes have 2 wheels filled with pressurised air… surely it can’t be hard to make a connector thing so that you could sacrifice half the volume of air in one tyre to help seat the other, assuming you didn’t get a double flat.

jamesoz

Less sensibly I bet it’d be dead easy to plug the ends of a hard tail down tube via the bb and head tube, the bottle bosses could then be used as a fill and outlet.

ndthornton
    Free Member

most bikes have 2 wheels filled with pressurised air

I like that idea.
    You could put extra air in the good tyre first.
    If the tyre didn’t seat you do run the risk of ending up with 2 flat tyres – so I suppose a pressure sensitive valve in line to stop it dropping below about 8 PSI…

Nice

martinhutch

Mmm…the sweet taste of stans in your drink bottle…what’s not to like?

ndthornton
    Free Member

Mmm…the sweet taste of stans in your drink bottle…what’s not to like?

How
    Air is flowing out of the bottle not in

alpin
    Free Member

Does anyone ever do an inside repair out in the wild.

Funnily enough, this has happened to me twice recently.

Ripped the sidewalls and had to patch from the inside. Obviously used a tube to get down the hill to the bikes shop.

For longer/multi-day rides, I have thought about taking a small high pressure pump (roadie style) and a 750ml bottle ghetto inflator prefilled with 100ml of spunk. If you do rip a sidewall you can repair it, pump up the bottle and depending on whether you lost fluid reinflate/reseat the tyre with the bottle pointing up or down (although each time I’ve needed to repair the tyre internally I haven’t lost that much juice). Then use the small pump to get tyre to the required pressure. And the bottle is refillable if it is needed again.

Small pump doesn’t weigh much, nor does a 750ml bottle. On longer rides time isn’t as much of a consideration, either.

martinhutch

How
    Air is flowing out of the bottle not in

To start with, but I’m presuming that pressure is equalised at some point and stans is free to go wherever it fancies.

cookeaa

So I did some fag packet maths and an “average” tyre 2.3-2.5″ 650b/29er tyre is somewhere in the area of 6-7L in volume.

In an ideal world you want to be able to inflate it from flat to say ~2bar and then blip a bit of air out to suit, for which that 1L bottle would need to be charged to ~12 bar, more realistically a 9 bar charge would get a flat tyre up to about 1.5bar (21psi) which would be pretty acceptable, of course that assumes no losses which is unlikely to be the case if attempting to seat a bead and plus that only really covers one tyre…

Either way I’d not want to be pouring away my water and trying to prime a Sigg bottle with a mini pump by the trail side.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless water bottle inflation (Kickstarter)’ is closed to new replies.